Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

Why don’t you post an actual hard link to where Scott Mercer says that MMR is used to handicap players then?

You probably shouldn’t be calling me a liar when your entire opening post is based off a lie.

3 Likes

This is flat out wrong (at least for silver, gold and plat), and here’s why.

I’ve played in all three ranks, and I’ve known for a long time not to trickle. There are people in all three ranks that do that. Variance in skill, and this applies to other core aspects of the game (i.e. changing heroes when countered).

There you’ve not only proved variance within a rank, but variance within a person! If a person is playing tilted for a significant number of games, then they are playing below their SR/MMR. That is the very definition of variance.

I know how the game can snowball once a team gains momentum through good tactics. So, if people my rank don’t understand this, then that will affect their play ability. Therefore, they are playing lower than their SR/MMR if it is close to or above mine. Also, you can’t snowball in the first 30 seconds of the match. Snowballing doesn’t explain bad play right out of the gate.

If you have multiple skills that determine rank, and you can have people at the same rank with different levels of these skills, then by definition you have variance in ability within a rank.

Yeah, and I can work three dead-end jobs and become richer than Trump. People are putting in the effort and still failing. There are other factors besides personal effort and skill at work here, and that’s what we’re complaining about.

We don’t want a handout. We want a fair chance. We want to be matched with people of similar skill, not those who will carry us or have to be carried by us. This is the mark of a truly competitive system.

1 Like

Rolleyes. Do you understand how competitive games work? (It’s a rethorical question, please don’t answer).

Every 2500 player is, ON AVERAGE, as good. There is no 3000 player stuck at 2500.

So, you don’t trickle. They do.
Trickling is literally throwing the game.
Let me get this straight, you are being matched with people that throw and are so bad that don’t even realize it.

Have you considered that, being the same rank as you, it’s possible that you are doing something terribly wrong, that is AT LEAST as bad as their trickling?

I mean, when I play in plat I can just flank and kill like… 4 people (one person every 15-20 sec) and insta win (because everyone trickles).

Why can’t you do that? Like… you say you are better than them…

You are right bro, nice semantics! You win, I was wrong. The system is rigged and I probably imagined all the times I had a lose streak and then hard carry without any effort.
It’s not like I have to literally throw or im unable to lose in gold rank.

You are literally asking for a handout. You want matchmaking to change because you are adamant about not putting any effort into improving at the game.

You consider yourself better than your rank and still fail to climb

So keep being gold or plat or whatever you are, keep crying I’ll just be chilling here reading your nonsense.

1 Like

The original post already opens with a lengthy quotation from Scott Mercer. Anyone who can’t understand that Match Making Rating is a handicapping system is a fool. Anyone who denies it is a liar, even if they are oblivious.

This forum doesn’t allow links to external sites or even pages on the same site. The original version of the thread had links to many such resources, so you can tell Blizzard if want them.

Get your facts straight before addressing me!

1 Like

For the sake of our friendship I truly want to believe you think me a fool.
I swear to you what I said I earnestly believe.

Just a question. How can MMR even work when you get the same rating - and + no matter at which MMR you play ? I played with 2.7 SR on 3k-3.1 mmr, yet lost or won the same rating as usual (20-30) while i expect like 40 or 50 for a win just because i won on a higher mmr … i mean that’s how it is in other games aswell.

Same for a friend which was like 3.3 and played with me on 2.7 mmr. How can he only lose 20-30 points while it should normally punish you way harder ?

Don’t really see this working when the rating outcome stays the same, no matter at what mmr you’re playing. Not saying the system is rigged but it has for sure some flaws. Means even when your mmr is way above your SR ( happens from time to time since both are not always tied together) you should get less punished for losing on an MMR which is way above your SR and the other way around. Or am i missing something ? Imo they should remove performance based SR completly from lower ranks and focus on performance based MMR on top of the above mentioned mechanics.

1 Like

Okay, then you’ve been fooled! You’re not the only one.

But do I deserve my rank?

As far as I’m concerned, the ranking system does not exist. Match Making Rating makes it patently false.

1 Like

Do you think any low rank here in forums is a better genji than me?

Maybe I am. I like Genji. We’ll never know.

We could duel?
Or maybe do a 6v6 scrim…

I haven’t played for over a year, so you’re sure to win. I’ll pass!

1 Like

seriously bro? You think there’s a random bronze-silver-gold genji that wrecks me?

I’m OFFENDED. I know I’m trash at genji but at those ranks I make people ragequit…

The original quotation from Scott Mercer comes from here, everyone. An actual link from the old forums:

Nothing in that entire topic where Cuthbert got his “Scott Mercer quotation on handicapping” talks about handicapping “good” players with “bad” players.

As I stated earlier, Cuthbert’s entire idea of handicapping is based off a lie.

2 Likes

Below 3k is pretty easy to figure out…

Are you getting more SR on wins than losing on defeats?
Then you will keep climbing.

Are you gaining and losing about the same?
Then you are at your rank.

Are you losing more Sr on a defeat than you gain on victory?
Then you are overranked.

1 Like

So, you’re in plat, and you’re able to kill 4 opponents in quick succession. Sounds like you are way better than they are, even though all of you are the same rank. I’ve been in plat a respectable amount of time, and I know not to trickle. That means my skill is probably a little better than theirs.

Sounds like another example of a wide variation in skills within a rank. I have to admit. You’re bringing to light more and more proof concerning the flaws in the comp system than I ever could. With all of this logical evidence, I can see no legitimate reason why they wouldn’t fix comp. No sarcasm. I’m being completely sincere.

Cuthbert, I hope you continue to fight the good fight. I think your cause is probably and exercise in futility. It seems that posts containing cold hard facts about comp’s flaws get quashed. I don’t think it will ever be fixed, and recent events, with other new games, show the company heading down a very dark path, and I don’t think they’ll change.

Still, I hope I’m wrong. I hope you prove by pessimism wrong. I’m going to find another brick wall. Good luck.

The very definition of “What is wrong with matchmaker” and the simplest answer to “Why there is such skill variance in lower ranks?? O_O”. Are you looking over your replies, before posting them?

2 Likes

Since when 3.2 is plat? I’m not the same rank, that’s the deal.

Cuthbert did not post any “cold hard facts” though.

1 Like