Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

This thread goes all the way back to the summer of 2017. Blizzard has closed it 4 times, on two different forums, and never responded despite resounding votes in favour of removing MMR from Competitive Play.

1 Like

Yes, remove this. lol

Yeah why not, right?

Bumping for Blizzard response.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if you got around to reading the topic and what you think?

Haven’t fully read it yet. I am busy playing a few other games. I’ll read it eventually, but honestly when Season 12 ends.

1 Like

That’s cool. Thread’s not going anywhere, take your time :slight_smile:

doubt blizzard will ever acknowledge this post because it hurts the devs feelings.

2 Likes

I gave up reading the original version of this thread a loooooooong time ago (yeah, that’s right, when it loses traction the OP reposts). The OP clearly doesn’t understand how the system works or why it has been designed to be this way, which I have intimated previously. But I guess it’s a bit of a meme so I’m posting literally just to keep the thread going. #KeepTheMemeGoing #LongLiveTheMeme

3 Likes

Release the MMR formula! The citizenry demands it!

1 Like

As I’m sure has been written many, many times throughout this thread, there are very good reasons why it will not be released.

People turn a much requested feature such as LFG in to a method of deranking easier. What do you think will happen if everyone knows exactly how MMR works?

EDIT: BTW that means we, as the community, are to blame because we can’t be trusted to do the right thing.

they could reengineer it so it would be unexploitable

1 Like

Actually its was up on the old forums, closed once by the mods cause people were getting toxic. This has been the 2nd iteration on the new forums, it keeps popping up cause people reply.

There is really only 2 reasons:

1. The Devs do not want to
  2. The Devs feel that the information would fuel exploitation
1 Like

So you believe that MMR =/= SR, and thus that handicapping is real. The reasoning is that if SR does match MMR then the exploitation you are describing could and would have already be done. I would love to know the other “very good reasons” on why MMR isn’t shown. I’ll settle for 3 for now.

See: Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch - #10 by Jorlan-11595

1 Like

This sounds like a very good reason to me.

1 Like

If the OP, and a lot of people commenting in this thread, actually understood what a handicap was and exactly why they are used in some competitions (not Overwatrch, incidentally) then this rediculous megathread wouldn’t exist. I.e. in no way is the MMR system a handicapping system, nor could it be seen as one, no matter how deluded the individual may be, if the individual understands what a handicap is designed to do.

The whole point of a handicap is to give all competitors an equal chance of winning when they are not equally skilled (they would not have an equal chance without the handicap). The fact that the match maker tries to make two teams with equal probability of winning negates the need for any handicapping system.

If the match maker allowed matches with very unequal chances of each team winning there are many ways you could implement a handicapping system in Overwatch. For example, if a payload match was made where team A had a predicted chance of winning of 75% (3 times the chance team B has), then perhaps team B would only need to push the payload 1/3 of the distance team A pushed. That’s a handicapping system. Two unequal teams have equal chances of winning.

I’m all memed out. No more from me here. I’m surprised the price of tin foil hasn’t skyrocketed with all these hats getting around.

2 Likes

Unpacking the post you made and explaining the issues will be impossible, as you just defined handicapping specifically as it occurs in this game. 2 people of identical SR, but different mmr (assumed skill), are handicapped differently to create a “50% chance” to win. Exactly as you define it. No 2 players of the same SR should be given a different weighting, or gameplay experience, over many games.

If you want to argue that mmr is equal to SR, then your above post of hiding mmr is completely absurd.

Which will you accept? One of your arguments is directly opposed to the other.

2 Likes

Best post I have seen on this forum. Agree fully.

1 Like

mayhaps to you, but to others its a source of frustration. At least let us see our own MMR on the scale.

2 Likes

OP is a magician. He got all the right answers with all the wrong questions.

Competition and Privacy do not go hand in hand!

1 Like