Algorithmic Handicapping (MMR) is Wrong for Overwatch

It should be based on personal performance.

If you’re on a team and you poop the proverbial bed and lose? You lose a lot of SR. If you’re on a team and you carry it hard and lose? Your SR loss is negligible.

If you’re on a team, carry hard, and win? You gain a lot of SR. If you’re on a team, and you stink it up, but eek out a win? You gain a wee bit of SR.

Instead, we’ve MMR, we’ve SR, we have players that play well put with Potato’s and both players lose about the same amount. Therefore, you punish those that play well and bring their A game.

Others FPS games don’t do this. This system is unused. Why would it be in game? To punish those that play their best, to coddle those that play like mush, and to keep everyone on the Hamster Wheel system Blizzard is known to use in every multiplayer game.

Play other games. Problem solved.

2 Likes

I think they should get rid of the 50/50. it bs. in this role que mmr mean nothing.

2 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

It shouldn’t be done like that. Overwatch has too many variables that go into a win to determine who carried.

Imagine a reaper who does nothing but walk ahead into the enemy team and farm the tanks. He gets flashed and focused down. Rinse and repeat. He may have gold damage, but since he didn’t secure any kills and engaged just a bit too early, it’s useless damage. The final push, his team combos ults and they take it. He may have made some space in the final push, but he was doing nothing but feeding before that. He does, however, have gold elims and damage. Does that mean he carried? Should he gain more SR?

On the other hand, a Genji could do nothing all game but 1v1 their widow. The widow is the highest rated player in the game (say a smurf), so while she’s being pressured the rest of the team have free rein. However, statistically, it will seem like the Genji is doing nothing the whole game. In reality, he actually carried by keeping someone who would wreck his team from doing so. This wouldn’t show up on statistics, and he’d get less SR in your system.

If they bring their A game and can’t carry potatoes they don’t deserve to rank up.

2 Likes

Way to miss my encompassing point.

Their system stinks. They should fix it.

The only solution to matchmaker is not to use it. QoL for the LFG

2 Likes

Please expand on that.

If it did, I would be hardstuck in different ranks on all my accounts. I always, without fail, over 50+ games will come back to masters if I play my main heroes. How is that not evidence of a system which works? Sometimes when I play well and lose I don’t always blame my team - there was some variance within the game that made us lose. There were plays I made that caused me to lose. Some games are unwinnable, some are unloseable and others are in between. It’s the nature of a team game.

1 Like

Re, ‘does the system stink:’

That’s a fair question. I think the Match Making Rating system does not affect all players the same way. There might be huge variation depending on how Match Making Rating determines our level of skill, and it could also be gauging what kind of skill we have. A player with a strong record of playing the objective might receive very different treatment from that of a player who focuses on their kill count. Or a player who heals could be treated differently from a player who tanks.

All of this information should be covered in Blizzard’s terms of use, and user-interface for Overwatch. But they tell us almost nothing of how the system works.

1 Like

So you’re sayin theres a chance i can be top 500?

1 Like

They will never listen to you i quit ovrwatch ican’t stand this shiiit

Dont forget to close doors. Have fun.

From my experience, the current PBSR algorithm doesnt work well. For example, as a support, healing is not what you shud focus on, but getting assists. Its kinda cheap.

I would not want to rely on Blizzards crappy algorithms tbh.

2 Likes

MMR reset should be done, and it needed to be done after season 3 , when we already had 3 season of stats that were all over the place. I find the dev team to be ignorant in this regard. Resetting the MMR is the only thing they should do at this point to correct all the MMR errors from the past. The community should be angry about not having MMR reset. Placements are a lie because no one I know ever gets to another tier because of placements. It a main reason why this game sucks and will never improve.

I’m sure I’m going to get many fanboys telling me how wrong I am. I find your logic to be flawed and you will never admit how poorly this company has been with competitive mode. Most of you are a bunch of sheep anyway.

2 Likes

No it shoudl be not. Did you see what happened when we had our mmr resetted at start of season 18? People on top were placed in silver, gold. Grandmasters playing with people who are 1000 SR in their games. It would go like this for weeks, maybe even months before it would stabilize. So do you want chaos for weeks just to end up in same place as before?

I did myself several times.

1 Like

MMR isn’t simply represented as a number, it has already been highlighted in another post that MMR calculation is complex and SR is a simplified MMR that is displayed to players so they can see a rough estimate…

1 Like

That’s a fair appraisal I suppose. To me, a sign someone belongs in their rank is that if they have average stats for their rank, lower stats in a higher game and higher stats in a lower game. This is over multiple games too due to variation within games. Of all the particular playstyles you mentioned, it’s the average statistics that matter.

Objective time, in my opinion, really only matters depending on your character. If you’re playing a main tank for example, I’d imagine objective time is weighted more heavily rather than a widow for example for 2cp, or an off healer for payload. Perhaps having less objective time as a tracer could be favourable on payload as you normally shouldn’t be on it, but up front making space instead.

It really must be a combination of different scenarios and statistics - if you do x, then these statistics must differ by y or so. It’ll also be consistent with data taken from smurf accounts that climbed to high SR easily, to set the benchmark as to what a “good” set of statistics is.

I’m gonna go ahead and guess it’s because they don’t want to burden consumers with lengthy calculations and explanations. After all, they don’t even include the actual numbers of abilities in game or elsewhere, why would they include their whole matchmaking system?

Imo regardless of knowing the nuances of the system is the end goal remains the same: learn what works and what doesn’t, and use that against the enemy team to climb.

1 Like

I am concerned that we don’t know exactly how Blizzard’s system of Match Making Rating works. But I am actually more concerned with the expressed purpose of Match Making Rating, which is to handicap matches.

There should be no reason to handicap matches, from a player’s standpoint. From a corporate standpoint, there are business reasons to handicap matches. Blizzard has compromised the integrity of the ranking system in order to make every match an exhibition, rather than a fair contest.

There is a clear conflict of interest here: it is players’ interest in objective competition against Blizzard’s interest in product engagement. Blizzard does not keep the workings of the MMR system under wraps to avoid “burdening consumers with calculations and explanations.” They keep it secret to prevent us from gaming the system. Also, to keep us from examining the true purpose of MMR, which is morally questionable if not objectionable.

The main reason why MMR should not exist - why matches should be objective tests of skill between players of the same rank, on an even playing field - is simply that it’s what players expect. It’s the implied expectation of every player who engages in competitive mode. For Blizzard to defy this expectation, and secret the system away from us, is a violation of the players’ trust.

3 Likes

The system does do some kind of dynamic difficulty.

I tested everything under the sun.

If you stand around and get ZERO healing for 3 games straight. Know what that earns you? Games SO easy that you will be carried to a win, even if you continue to stand and do nothing. At a rank that i’ve had HARD games on my other account for trying.

Smurfs will meet other smurfs.
People throwing will get other throwers.

This is all to create an EVEN MATCH.

To me, this says that Blizzard doesn’t trust the SR system at all. Because shouldn’t your SR BE the difficulty? You don’t need to mess around trying to make even matches if SR is correct. Even matches should just happen, and don’t need to be forced.

But they force even matches, and adjust the difficulty to YOU. Meaning 2100 games are not the same difficulty to everyone at all times. 2100 games can be easy as heck… as long as you’ve shown that you need to be carried in order to make an even match at 2100.

7 Likes

a better player will earn less SR. this is handicap. if there were no handicap, every one would gain the same SR for a win

you put a negative connotation on the word handicap, when it is neither good nor bad

there’s only one other way to do it. just take the first 12 people in queue and create a match. the best players will have the highest win percentage. (only valid in the community’s eyes after a certain number of matches.) (anywhere from 300-600)

this is one way to find out who the best is, the other way is to do handicap

we want/need to find out who’s better than who, it’s human nature.

so this isn’t true

Yes!! Exactly what I’m talking about. This person gets it.

4 Likes