Why doesn’t overwatch have a ping system yet?

I think Jeff somewhere mentioned it and that it would add too much cutter or smthing :thinking:

Personally, I disagree. It would be very helpful with flankers and knowing where widow is and things like that.

You could actually point out where someone is than just vaguely saying “over there” in VC. It would also give people who can’t or don’t want to use VC a way to communicate and help their team.

Would it be as useful as it is in Apex? No. I agree with you there. But it would still be very useful.

You can still have a simple version of ping better suited for Overwatch. The point of voice lines is to have a communication system that works across languages, and regardless if someone is in voice coms or not. Having that communication be more concise is desirable.

Imagine not needing voice coms at all because the voice lines are concise enough to facilitate all types of calls that normally happen in voice, minus the “you’re bad at the game” talk that create unnecessary noise in voice coms.

1 Like

There’s no good answer anymore

They tried it early in development and didn’t think it worked.

They’re giving it another shot for OW2 though.

1 Like

Jeff doesn’t even want to add team healthbars like the ones we see in Archives. He’s basically against anything that would actually be helpful.

2 Likes

Do you have some sort of official statement on this? Like from a dev interview or something? If so, that’s awesome

Edit

Now that you mention it, I vaguely remember them talking about it. But I don’t remember them saying anything concrete about trying it for the sequel.

1 Like

As a console player, pinging would absolutely not work well since there aren’t enough buttons. The enhanced voice options are already kinda wonky to implement.

Besides, it’s not an even really a necessary feature. The maps are pretty small, the routes don’t number high and are fairly simple, and it’s easy to see people because of the outlines.

The pinging in Apex is super helpful because it can be hard to spot players between their lack of visual distinctions and the vast sizes of the maps. Having an easy way to relay that sort of information beyond voice chat is essential in Apex because sometimes not even voice chat is enough to get those sorts of things across.

Because it’s too easy and get rids of the need to use the VOICE COMMS. Not that I am in favor of it, but yeah.

Everyone wants everything to be easy… and be treated like a bunch of babies. Noticing an enemy Genji trying to flank is a part of getting better at the game. It’s funny because many never seen someone coming behind them unless a person calls them out. Watch your positioning and the enemies.

2 Likes

Yeah, I remember that. They were talking about the ping, when they were talking about at that time, the new communication wheel changes. And they wanted to make sure to get the wheel changes out first, because they talked about how ping would take longer to implement and all that.

1 Like

Engine probably doesn’t support it, because if it did, they would’ve implemented it ages ago. This is a feature that was requested as far back as beta.

Yeh it’d be great to just free up the airwaves so people aren’t shouting “Genji over ThErE!” or give a clear indication of where the monkey/Dva is gonna dive, etcetcetc. There’s a lot of useless chatter going on in the comms that I’d rather just hear footsteps and ability sounds…

Overwatch has 6 people on each team. 6 people pinging would get annoying fast.

Also the maps aren’t really big enough to need it.

They’re saving it for Overwatch 2.

You can bet in Gold/Plat games people would be spamming the ‘Retreat!’ button when the DPS is yeeting 1v6 for the 5th time.

I feel like if you can sound the retreat, it should blow a special horn to sound the retreat.

We got “3…2…1…” not sure what else you could ever want?!

:sweat_smile:

90% of the player base ignores ‘group up’ pings lol

I guarantee it’ll get lost in all the noise of the game.

1 Like

I do worry about button inputs though. With OW, Console players are already struggling to bind buttons to everything we need to use. And, If you play a hero like Torb or Mercy, your controller is already pretty packed.

So, adding yet another button for something, is going to be a pain for us.

Apex gets around this by not having a true Ult button. Your Ult is your Tactical ability + your Ping button. Maybe OW could do similar.

This may sound stupid, but I worry about stuff like that. We also saw at BlizzCon last year about those abilities you could pick up in the new PvE. And, my first thought when I saw those is “where am I going to put that, on the controller?” It might not be so bad for heroes that don’t have a lot of things, but for heroes like Mercy and Torb, it’s going to be insane. Then, if we add a dedicated ping button on top of that… Holy crap.

Honestly, they need to figure out how to better manage the things we do have, in this game, before they start adding more buttons for more crap.

1 Like