Why does Reaper counter most tanks?

I think it’s kind of bull that a single character counters most tanks. I want to have fun with the game while competing, but I have no interest in playing Zarya or Roadhog, but they’re the better options for dealing with him. Otherwise, most tanks suffer to this one, single character. I like playing characters like Dva, Winston and/or even Rein. I can deal with him as Rein if I have a team or if he’s alone, but otherwise, this character can just crush most of a single class and it’s lame. It’s not even the damage he outputs, more so the fact that this %%%hole gets all his health back.

I’ve DM’d this dip%%%% character at times while he ults and because the hits feed off my teammates, it can destroy every reason he can be killed. I just really think it’s bullcrap that a single character counters a whole class. Most of the other characters don’t just completely crush tanks or healers for that matter. And there are barely any tanks in the first place. You can say “Oh, just fight him at range with Dva.” but that’s bull. She has just as much range as Reaper, so you have to rely on someone to keep him out of the fight like Lucio by booping him constantly or just hoping that someone can get a headshot on him with McCree.

All I’m saying is, it’s annoying that this single character can destroy one single role for the most part, when there’s already very few of them in the first place.

2 Likes

You know your just gonna attract trolls right. They’ll tell you that Zarya counters reaper and bblah blah blah.

Reaper is pretty stupidly strong though and he gets away with a lot more than he should, but that same logic can applied to half the DPS roster and being overtuned and putting out too much damage.

5 Likes

Thanks. At least you’re being constructive. I realize they’re going to say that, but that’s how this fanbase is. I expect nothing less from these people. That said, I don’t want to learn Zarya. I won’t lie. I don’t hate her, but I don’t enjoy having fun with her. I realize she’s a good pick against him and even Roadhog’s a 50/50 with him if you can land hooks. I’ve played him very few times and landing hooks was free. That said, I can at least deal with other DPS in the game if they use their resources. This guy’s resource is one of the best passives in the game though.

Tanks actually are ridiculous strong heros in this game and Reaper has made to counter them, to bring a balance.

3 Likes

You are playing this game expecting someone else to play what needs to be played in order to counter x, y, z hero. That is not the way to approach this game at all. You expect other people in your elo to deal with a nuisance. You will never climb like that.

I am not a Reaper player and also not a DPS player and I personally am not a fan of him as well. Whoever said that he is a short ranged hero, lied, since he can kill you from almost across the map.

Nonetheless, with semi proper teamplay he can be shut down. If he is not dying for whatever reason, it is not his fault or his kit’s fault, your team failed. That is all there is to it. Any hero can be a nuisance if not dealt with properly, no matter what role they are playing.

If the enemy has the worst possible Tracer in the world she will, I assure you, get value if not contested, so will anyone else. Lack of proper team comp and target prioritizing has nothing to do with a particular hero and their kit, it has all to do with how you and your team go about it.

If you decide to let the enemy Mercy rez in front of you it is not the Rez fault, but you being unable to stop it, see it, react to in time etc.

You literally admitted not wanting to play a counter and you expect someone else to do it and if not you expect the System to deal with something you as a player are unwilling to. It has nothing to do with Reaper. With your mindset if it was not Reaper it would have been someone or something else.

1 Like

My favorite character is the reaper guy. he is very powerfull. special move, honestly is one of the best in the game and so he comes equipped with these two revolvers and only takes about 3 or 4 shots to actually execute a kill so it comes really in handy specially when you come from the side.

2 Likes

Game’s balanced around top tier play.

Certain spazzy no brain heroes, like Reaper, Junkrat, etc are super easy to abuse at low elo, where teamwork is non existent.

2 Likes

Very much true. I got out of Bronze on DPS, as a completely non DPS player, I barely play DPS even in QP, I have less than 10 hrs on DPS in total.

I have played drunk in Bronze, DPS, played Sym and Junk only. Played Reaper like maybe 2-3 games, cannot remember exactly. All I did was shoot people who were on their own, all by themselves and let me tell you in Bronze everyone is going to be by themselves. Everyone is playing their own game. Not much changes in Silver and Gold sadly, the only difference being people can aim a bit better, everything else remains the same. I honestly believe that if I wanted I could reach Gold or even Plat on DPS, but I do not want to, I want to get better on my main roles and rank up there.

You cannot blame a specific hero for anything if the enemy decides to walk in a straight line like a bot, asking to be killed, then pout in spawn because of it.

Reaper is barely played in high elos, because if you easily get away with something in low elo, let me assure you, you will not get away with it in an elo where people actually use a mouse to turn around.

Same can be said about Bastion. Everyone complain about Bastion in low elos, lol while everyone fails to kill him. Everyone expects someone else to do something so they can push. Everyone is like “it is not my job to deal with x, y, z”. Yeah it is your job, you noticing someone is not dying for whatever reason, go help them or do it yourself.

1 Like

Even if you play reaper. At higher ranks tanks and supports alone know how to deal with him. He’s only a big deal at low ranks.

At the higher ranks no matter what dps you play tanks will be more on the oppressive side than any other role. Just how the game is.

1 Like

Reaper will have a hard time taking on Rein/Zarya with a Brig supporting them. She hard counters him & completely denies his ult.

1 Like

I like Dva vs Reaper. She can’t necessarily beat him herself, but her matrix means that even the worst teams can respond to his death blossom and drop him whilst he’s got no health steal.

So many games I see Reaper get quad kills with death blossom as people let him get away with it.

Because that’s really Reaper’s job. I mean I’m not a fan of the change to his shadowstep teleport, too many times I’ve been somewhere on high ground as DPS and a reaper just teleports in front of me. I can’t really do anything but run away because he can start shooting as soon as he appears and can’t be punished for making a bad decision… like teleporting in front of someone’s face.

yeah that’s definitely frustrating but thankfully there’s things you can do against it. if you’re widow, find where the initial to is and try to one shot him. junkrat, lay a trap where the tp is landing. doing something against it is a lot about anticipation

I think he can spam Wraith and avoid any traps.

trap and wraith last the same amount of time. you could spam around the area as well so when reaper gets out he’s in for a lovely surprise

Ah yes… Reaper… A pure example of what a plague hard - counter have been for this game design - wise…

uuuuuuuh reaper is called a tank buster for a reason reaper was designed to counter tanks because most of the tank in this game outclass dps so the blizzard devs designed reaper to keep them in check and even so reaper only really work against certain tanks such as winston but other than that there’s not much a reaper can do against a good roadhog or zarya reaper only really works against uncoordinated team that’s why he’s the ultimate noob stomper

Almost every tank except the anchors have options to deal with him. Even if they arent outright killing him, they still have tools to play around him. You shouldn’t be able to win duels with him, he’s using shotguns and you’re the size of a building.

1 Like

Because that’s his entire purpose. He sucks against small targets because his spread is so large but excels in dealing with tanks, massive, large, unmissable targets.

Also saying “he deals with every single tank”, then naming the two he struggles with and saying “I don’t want to play as them” renders your entire point worthless. You’re basically saying “I as a tank, should be able to 1v1 the character made entirely for dealing with tanks as any tank in the game because I don’t want to swap to a hero that can deal with him”. That’s like a widow maker complaining she can’t 1v1 every dive tank in the game.

I play a lot of reaper, other than the switching part that others have mentioned theres a few things you can do to combat people like me a little better.

First things first if you’re dying to me odds are you’re alone, which is a mistake i’ll take advantage of 100% of the time. Tanks especially take the longest to take care of, they take upwards of an entire clip to mow down so you have some time to think of your options, first being, i cant take you out smoothly if you even have one healer with you. The easier option is to kill them then get to you, if you’re any tank you have the edge by simply not being alone. Your healers will peel me just as effectively as you can peel for them.

2nd point ill make for the dva players out there. Too many of you like to try going toe to toe with me thinking your defense matrix is gonna give you the edge. It wont. Yes youll absorb one, maybe two of my shots, but I only need another 4 to drop you on your Defense CD. Use your jets more and think of the ground you’re fighting on. Dva and winston have the edge when it comes to mobility vs reaper. High ground especially for dva is your friend vs Reaper. Denying any even ground will give you the edge vs me.

Watch your corners. My favourite places are high corners you wont be looking at. By the time you know im there i already have your mercy down and im working my way from the back to the front of the pack till im noticed, then im fading out and rejoining my group for heals, teleport to high corner and repeat. Ill literally do this for an entire round on Hanamura 1st point and every fight i take one or both healers out before you get to the gates is a fight won for us. If you knew where i’d be coming from and get the early drop on me before i do to you, your chances of winning the actual engagements will increase dramatically because if your healers stay up, you stay up. Remember what i said about sticking with your healers and vice versa?

Overall the more you expect me, the less i can do to you. All the tanks can fight me if you know what advantages i use to make your day bad and turning it on me.