Why does Overwatch need heroes with such low skill floor?

That’s terrible, I’m sorry you’re handicapped. However there are other games you can play like hearthstone!

Balancing the game around a small group of people with disabilities makes no sense.

1 Like

I’d say that TF2 leans closer to traditional FPS territory than MOBA territory.

Because this isn’t “future” CoD

i dont want to play hearthstone i want to play overwatch, why should i not be allowed to enjoy it?

Because not every hero needs to be mechanically demanding?

Age old, often repeated question.

1. “Skill” is really quite a nebulous concept insofar as games are concerned, even real life physical sports games like basketball, one cannot say that LeBron James is any less skilfull than Stephen Curry or that Shaq was less skilled than Tim Duncan. Applied to Overwatch, i would say that each character handles differently and requires different skill sets which may overlap onto other characters. Winston does not quite play like Reinhardt nor does Reinhardt quite play like Orisa nor does Orisa play like D.Va and D.Va does not quite play like Hammond and they all require something different out of a Zarya.

2. Skill or skill sets are more than just twitch reflexes and good hand-eye coordination for aiming. There are a myriad of other skill sets and everyone has them in different proportions.

3. As Mr. Kaplan said, OW is all about being accessible and inclusive, not exclusive. Whether the reason for that is to build a game which everyone, or at least a majority of folks, can enjoy or simply to rake in the revenue; that is debatable and not a major concern for me. The major concern for my children and i is if the game is accessible and fun, which currently, it is.

2 Likes

sure, but he still has a low skill floor

It’s almost like Blizz wanted to make a game likely to attract players who hadn’t spent 10+ years playing competitive FPS or something…

The casual players who play for fun a few hours per week aren’t likely to post here.

And I’d agree with you. Which is why I ended that sentence by saying that OW took what TF2 did and went “full FPS-MOBA” with it… because, and I thought this was implied, TF2 did not.

Because Overwatch wasn’t supposed to be like every other FPS game out there. It was supposed to be inclusive to everyone.

That includes people with physical and mental disabilities the ability to play.

Because not everyone of us are hardcore, or perfectly healthy. The world is full of difficult FPS games that require steady hand, sharp aim and flawless reactions. Overwatch is pretty much the only one which is more forgiving towards casuals and players who are simply unable to become good enough that they’d be accepted as equal part of community and not flamed as carbage, braindead or low skill.

Overwatch is the only FPS game I play because it’s the only FPS game I’m able to play. And I’m thankful it exists.

2 Likes

You can enjoy it, at the rank you deserve.

You may be bronze but you could still play the game. Why should we balance a skill based games and add in heroes like this for disabilities?

What about all the people who play Brig and are not disabled (95%)?

1 Like

There are absolutely only two types of Moira. The kind who waste their orbs, and the kind who bounce their orbs. The trick to using her properly, is making sure the orbs will rebound and heal or damage in later time frames of pushes, counterplaying many abilities in the process.

No skill hero…

Not at high ranks, which I realize isn’t the meaning of skill floor, but I think that’s what people are talking about. You can pick up Brig and do well in a GM game if you know what the hero does and have basic positioning+gamesense.

I can’t catch. I want to play American football instead of chess, so I’ll force football to change it’s rules so that I don’t have to catch the ball anymore.

1 Like

Because it’s 2018 and people can’t aim.

1 Like

Besides, I’m not asking for mechanical skill. I play Rein, I play Winston. I’m asking for skill, period. I don’t want W-M1 button mash players in this game. Brig is a hero with so few nuances, its just, shield up, swing a bit, bash and flail for a OHKO, repeat, Rally to make it really hard to die, next game.

1 Like

What about people who like to play Brig? Everybody has their own hero preferences and punishing them for that is stupid.

Also you know what is non-sense, balancing this game around solo queue. You deserve to be frustrated if gou decided take this game seriously but want solo-queueing, thats not how team based game work.

those people play her and have fun, just like people with disabilities? ??? ? and if you balance the game around 20% of the player base the number of players will decrease dramatically and blizz will lose a lot of money. Since you’re too self centered to think about other people, maybe money will get your attention. Should the game be super unfun for a lot of people (and not everyone who sucks has a disability some people are just not that great, which is totally fine), a lot of people will stop playing it, and less people will start. The game was marketed around being inclusive and diverse, it should be executed as such

i mean sure, and theyre working on her, but the game shouldnt be balanced around the top like 5% of players