Why does Overwatch need heroes with such low skill floor?

The only argument I can see is “to please/attract new players”, but really, I’ve never seen anyone complaining about a hero being too difficult to play, quite the opposite, I see a lot of complain about heroes that requires no skill to be effective, like Moira, Mercy, Brigitte and in some cases Doomfist.

So why not raise the skill floor of those heroes and release future ones with higher skill floor?

I’m not saying that every hero should require skill like Genji, Tracer, Widow, etc, but take Winston for example, it’s a simple hero, but it requires good skill to be effective.

For me, the root of every complain in this game is the balance between skill-risk-reward. We should never ever have a hero that requires low skill, takes no risk and have high reward (cough Brig cough), and that’s also why I think Blizz is taking the wrong approach about Brig’s changes, just adjusting numbers, if they just lower the reward, the hero becomes kinda useless (Mercy). They really should raise those heroes skill floor, nobody complains saying it’s unfair/OP/unbalanced, about heroes that do so much but requires a lot of skill to do that much (Tracer).

The best heroes in this game are those that requires skill, so really, why does Overwatch need heroes with such low skill floor?

3 Likes

People complain about Tracer all day on here.

5 Likes

Forgot to point the complaining reasons, edited the post, thanks.

because blizz wants to sell copies to people who are absolute garbage at games

5 Likes

nothing wrong with being bad at videogames, and theres nothing wrong with making games that are fun at multiple levels of play

9 Likes

im just saying this is how it is

1 Like

Because there are only so many skills and heros you can put into the game and not all of them can be made ‘require skill’ without been garbage at higher rank?

The balance of this game is influenced by moba balancing which the core concept is to make all heros equally effective without considering too much about their difficulties.

1 Like

But the heroes that require more skill can be and are played on multiple levels of play. The game doesn’t need heroes with such low skill floor to be enjoyed.

For accessibility. Since the very first day, this game has been about catering to a low skill floor. All the heroes have cheats built in. The competitive aspect of the game are a joke, however the game is fun and addictive. It’s worth playing because of that.

2 Likes

but not everyone can enjoy high skill heroes. Some people arthritis or hand tremors that make aiming very difficult, so if every hero was like widow or mccree, it wouldnt be very fun for those people.

I myself have a constant, but very slight, shake going on with my hands and it affects my aim (not too bad tho it is very slight), but if it was any worse I know I would only play heroes like Brig, (old) sym, mercy, etc that dont require that much aim. Sure people who arent very good can enjoy high skill heroes, but not everyone can

1 Like

I…cannot…disagree…
I really am… garbage…

Guess i should just stop playing …

3 Likes

How about heroes have low skill floors so everyone can play them someone decently without their entire team flaming them (Say a Widowmaker in plat) but also have high skill ceilings so you actually have to get good at the characters to be in the higher ranks

1 Like

I doubt this is objectively true. As with any company, some people are yelling “more money more money” while others are naturally yelling back “more quality, more quality.”

This is why they have finally listened and are turning Brig into more of a healer and less of a “Defense” hero. Or why they changed Sombra so that her hacking was actually viable. Or why Torb was turned into a more active hero… so every POTG wasn’t him falling from the map while his turret did all the work. Or why Mei has no drop-off anymore… because it didn’t make sense to waste ice on something that would do very little damage.

Either way… everyone’s entitled to their own opinion. But Blizz is a company, and unless we work for them, we’ll never know who thinks what or why they are doing this or that.

I don’t understand why Blizz funnels cash into a massive pro scene and then makes MOBAwatch. I absolutely agree with OP. Winston is an amazing example of a hero that isn’t aim intensive, but is still difficult to play. Mercy is also, although she’s underappreciated. Blizzard is already doing a lot to cater to people that can’t aim well, and that’s fine, but there should be different elements of difficulty to those heros.

4 Likes

This is the best outcome tbh, if everyone hero has the same skill floors/skill ceilings then you will just be filtered into your rank and have fun there with people also as bad as you that don’t get any artificial skill from the hero they are playing as.

2 Likes

Also, I’ve never thought of this before, but I really never have heard complaints to decrease skill caps, only to raise skill floors. Listen, Blizz.

1 Like

Gee…it’s almost like the game released with the intent of being fun for a large group of people.

I miss those days.

1 Like

Is this a fact? Overwatch was always a MOBA in a way, wasn’t it? An FPS-MOBA to be exact. At no point did we ever think… “Oh look! Overwatch! The Call of Duty/Battlefield/Siege killer!” No… we thought “oh look! a AAA Disney Pixar version of TF2!” And TF2 is, well, a game that leans more into MOBA than FPS, which OW took to the next level - full FPS-MOBA.

Anyway… what do I know? I’m just an OW player.

From what I’ve seen of these forums most people dont know the difference tbh

Heroes can be high skill without being aim intensive. See: Rein.

2 Likes