Why does everyone pairing alts with smurfing?

Since Jeff talked about “smurfing” not being an issue everyone only talks about alt accounts when it comes to the term but its just a subcategory at best.

The original term is deranking from high elo to bronze frequently and going their way back (which can be because of boosting service, gold point grinding, challenge, etc.) and they are reportable offenses. Having an alt account on the other hand is not (Except if they are heavily toxic towards the other team after a roll but thats another topic and irrelevant here).

2 Likes

It’s like “C9”

Most ppl dont even know anymore (or even never knew) the original meaning.
It is ok to have an Alt Account, but I also hate smurfing.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is really the same.

I’ve fealt i have to tell this because theres 3 of the top threads telling that alt accounts are the only type smurfing and is reportable.

Alt accounts messes up with the matchmaking just as much as the smurf accounts and the line between smurf and alt account is very blurry.
Yeah, you don’t throw games on purpose but you still do it to get easier opposition and you would care less about your performance on a throw away account.

1 Like

Because smurfing doesnt really have a cut and dry definition so people just use any little thing they can get as a “smurf”

1 Like

Thats why i define using alts as a subcategory of smurfing instead of something equal of it. A smurf deranks to bronze frequently but an alt starts from high gold and isnt deranking.

i tried to create a roadhog only account but felt guilty when my teammates were being so nice and asking i play orisa so that roadhog only account lasted about 5 minutes :stuck_out_tongue: but they did think i was a smurf because i was a new account who was doing well on both roadhog and orisa, which is fair enough but i did place higher on my account than my other account

1 Like

I use an ult account to get less toxic and for training. Both accounts have simular SR and I care about the SR a lot, so why do I use one?
If you get toxic you ruin your and others games, if you lose games you get toxic.

Having and alt account as an back up for the case you drop a lot helps so much with szaying calm. “This means you dont care if you lose!” no, its the opposite: If you are toxic you keep playingbecause you want your SR back, so you just keep losing, despite knowing you dont play that well currently. If you have an alt account you can just take a break if you play bad and come back if you do better.

Because I have to regain the SR anyway I still care about the SR, It just makes it more stable, because it prevwnts lose streaks and win streaks

3 Likes

this is fair. i have an alt account because role specific SRs aren’t really good enough for me so while i don’t care about my rank i don’t want to throw in my rank either. i’m maybe gold on reinhardt and diamond on winston, so the disparity is big enough to warrant another acc. same with a ton of the DPS roster

also you’re so right about it being calmer, it’s a good alternative to just turning off chat and voice

1 Like