Nvm. My question got answered

Mercy seems pretty balanced.

She has a decent pickrate. (Only in GM is it low.)
She also has a above 50% winrate in plat and above, just like most heroes.
Her average healing is on par with the other main healers.

I really don’t see why she should be reworked.

Is it because she is unfun?
How can you balance a hero on “fun”? Fun is subjective.

In Mercy case’s, fun is almost no subjective.

If you are a Mercy player, you will be dissastified with the last changes, for every 100 players you ask this, one will answer otherwise.

Also, fun was not subjective as a definitive factor to rework her, W/E is unfun hunting hiding Mercys.

1 Like

Because she’s currently unimpacftul, unfun, and basically only viable as a DPS pocket. She was given a rework that no one asked for, and instead of listening to the playerbase, Blizzard continuously stripped away parts of her kit (even resorting to gutting the parts that weren’t even changed in the rework), until she was “balanced” (IE non-Mercy players were satisfied with how rarely they saw her in their games), at the cost of her kit and playstyle being ruined and dulled down.

4 Likes

Thank you for answering my question.

To be honest, I miss the mind games her previous ultimate had.
“Do I rez these 2 teammembers or should I wait till more are down? Is it wise to use it now or maybe in the next team fight?”

4 Likes

Idk, why did we balance Brig and Doom based on being unfun to play against?

4 Likes

Touche.

1 Like

Brig and Doom were un-fun because they take control away from you with stuns and could one-shot squishy heroes. Mercy doesn’t and has never done anything like that, and she’s mostly harmless. I don’t think Brig and Doom situations are comparable.

If you’re telling me that balance based on being unfun to play is subjective than balancing based on being unfun to play against is equally subjective. I’ve personally never had any problems dealing with brig, but nobody asked me whether I found her unfun to play against when they started going in with the nerfs. If their subjective experiences are valid then so are mine.

1 Like

As a support main, Mercy feels so boring and braindead that regardless of number tweaks, I don’t want her to be good so I can get away with playing literally anyone else. Like I nearly became a DPS main during the first few seasons of moth.

It’s probably worth quoting my reply to your similar post in another thread in this thread for the sake of continuity in discussion:

It’s more than just the forums and just a “few” people. This became a large and widespread movement, meaning a large amount of the Mercy community agrees she needs changes, whether that is a buff, rework, or revert.

The trend has reached most OW news content creators, as well as receiving pro discussion and responses. It is much larger than “a few”.

Fun stops being subjective when a large part of the community starts to agree.

Heroes should not be balanced around being un-fun to play against. Dying isn’t fun, but we can’t exactly remove all sources of death from the game, can we?

Heroes should be balanced around two ideas: they should be fun to play as, and they should be fair to play against. Fairness is much easier to objectify than “fun”, even if “fair” can still be used subjectively.

Crowd control is fair when there is ample opportunity for counter-play. Take Roadhog’s hook and McCree’s stun as examples. Though hook was utterly broken at game launch, the current implementation of both of these control abilities allows for counter-play due to limited range, travel time, long cooldowns, and the ability to be blocked by shields. Doomfist’s crowd control goes straight through shields, which makes it objectively un-fair, independently of any subjective concept of fun, because it was as powerful as other stuns and roots without any of the same limitations. So, Doomfist’s crowd control duration was nerfed to make his kit more fair to play against. Brigitte’s shield bash no longer goes through shields to make it more fair to play against. It’s still not fun to get hit by it, and it never will be.

1 Like

But should the opinion of the many outweighs the opinion of the few?

Remember Overwatch in 2016? Players kept calling Mei and Bastion OP only to learn a few months later that they weren’t. What if Blizzard decided to listen to the majority?
And what about Genji and Tracer? During Dive were a lot of players asking for nerfs.

Mei and Bastion were both nerfed though?

Edit: actually, apparently Mei wasn’t. Bastion definitely was though.

I mean, people have been stating Mercy’s rework was a failure literally since the start. And if they rework her, they don’t have to change her power level. The movement doesn’t even have to be a full rework. It can also entail tweaks. Or nothing. Aria stated the point of the movement is to voice your opinion, no matter what you think. She also expects nothing to come from it. She just wanted people to start talking.

Also, statistics backed that Mei and Bastion didn’t need nerfs. Mercy’s pick rate stats, you can make a claim that people find her less fun, due her to pick rates across the board being less than half of what they used to be, even when she was F-tier. The balanced Mercy should have an even pick rate to before if she was still considered as enjoyable. But this is just speculation, not fact, nor truth.

Most people don’t understand the reasoning for the movement outside of the Mercy community. She has become increasingly stale with each nerf because everything that was meant to be powerful and game-changing was nerfed, as it was OP, leaving Mercy a hollow shell of what we were promised. It has nothing to do with her power level (to most Mercy players). They want fun and impact back without sacrificing her balance.

1. As people already said, Mercys rework was based on mass ress being ‘‘unfun to play against’’, if a hero can get a rework based on people subjectively feeling something is ‘‘unfun’’ to play against then why doesnt the same apply to being ‘‘unfun to play’’?

2. Mercys stats are ok, for an off healer. With her current situation shes not a main healer anymore. Which is kind of a problem for a hero whos whole character design is ‘‘being a pure healer’’ demonstrated by how her primary fire works, aka she can only either heal, or dmg boost or deal dmg with blaster. She is the only healer in the game that has to make this choice, and for an off healer thats pretty bad and she is reduced to a pocket for a dps. Hell even in Gold Ana has a much higher pick rate than Mercy, and in dia and above shes bottom of the barel for supports.

3. Mercys healing simply being on par with Moira and Ana is bad, due to what I already said, how Mercy works. Yes, Moira, Ana and Mercy will have similar healing numbers, BUT Moira will on average (accross all ranks) contribute over 6k dmg, Ana brings about 5k dmg and utility in form of buffing healing/anti heals, hard CC and nano. Mercy on the other hand while doing the same amount of healing brings around 6 resses per game, 400dmg and 700dmg boost. While having the same healing over all she brings a lot less to the table than other supports. Which is why her win rate and pick rate are lower than Moira even in silver and bronze.

4. Mercys kit currently doesnt allow much expression of skill. her numbers are very similar across ranks. With mass ress compared to ress on CD and Valk, if you were good, you would stay alive longer, get ults faster, got more resses off, if you were good at ult tracking you could make plays with your ult, there was a lot going into debating when and who to ress. Now all that is stripped away. Someone died in a position where its safe to sit for 2 seconds? Ress, wait 30 secs repeat. You died? Who cares, youll have ress by the time youre back. Valk is basically a tempo ult and the decision making generally is: Fight is starting-I have Valk-push Q.

5. Valk isnt impactful. Valk is a tempo ult that kinda gives your team a small edge in a fight and helps you survive. No one really cares if the enemy has Valk before an engage. Knowing if nano, sound barrier or Trans are up are CDs youre interested in cause they are game changing. Moira suffers from a similar thing but at least even that gives her more than Valk gives Mercy, a Grav-coalescence can still shut down a fight on its own, due to aoe heal and dmg it does.