Why do people think tanks are getting buffed? 5v5

Less damage on those two firestrikes though

Less HP on his shield as well let’s talk about the hero as a whole and not nit pick

I know that the Devs are changing the way Tanks are played but come on

10 Likes

so you just think people are just gonna let you pin their team? not gonna rock you, halt you, boop you, sleep you, concussion, hook you, bash you, whipshot you, wall you, coach gun you

10 Likes

Not that I’m at all advocating for 5v5 (I think it’s a terrible idea), but you’re also forgetting that the tanks are also going to have 1 less high damage source shooting at them. No Zarya, dva, hog, sig to pair with the enemy’s damage.

Even if the tanks actually get a major buff, it will be scaled down pretty fast because the dps will complain and blizzard always favors the dps.

23 Likes

Don’t pretend like there’s nothing you can do about it

1 Like

NOT WITHOUT AN OFF TANK. sorry your right Ill just use reins defense matrix…oh no wait his shield Ill use that as I charge

9 Likes

What 5v5 showcase?

Well as someone who plays open queue/qpc, i guess tank stacking wont be the problem people make it out to be, hehe

1 Like

If you get slept or stunned or hooked or whatever while you were charging, perhaps you shouldn’t have charged? Perhaps you could think about what you’re doing and how you’re going about it instead of leaving that to someone else, hm?

You will only be one tank. They will also only be one tank. Make it work, you can if they can. Or are you proposing that the tank on both teams will contribute nothing to the game? Because we all know that will not be the case.

1 Like

Tanks getting mega buffed for 5v5 is one part wishful thinking, and another part assumption of one tank would need to be stronger to do the job of two tanks.

Thing is, tanks don’t appear to have the same job in OW2. They’re more bullies/bruisers than damage mitigation and space holders. They should end up more Roadhog or Wrecking Ball than Reinhardt or Orisa (in current game play). More disruption and pressure, less shield holding.

It’s going to be a significant mindset change for a lot of players. Not sure if everyone will adjust, or want to adjust.

I have no idea why anyone thinks the tank role is getting buffed for 5v5.

If anything, all the changes they’ve shown so far indicate they’re trying to make all the other tanks more like Roadhog. But without the self-sustain he has from being able to heal himself. Which just means they’re going to be fatter, slower DPS that still need a healer up their butt 24/7 to do anything. AND have no 2nd tank to share the load.

Basically, you’d have to not understand tanking to think they’re getting buffed, rather than, at best, rebalanced.

15 Likes

Yes? Mercies often get away with the riskiest rezzes even on the top level barring OWL (And even then, sometimes, they still pull it off.). Heck, a short pin isn’t even needed and Rein can charge, interrupt, and stopped his charge all in the same moment (As we have seen, it’s very possible for a Rein to do it during the OW2 gameplay.).

Even then, any form of CC that doesn’t stun/sleep/wall, it won’t budge much of Rein as mentioned earlier since his own passive reduces CC boops and adding to that, are role passive CC that stacks.

so now youre getting it tanks with ccs are going to be borderline playable tanks without arent. you are so close to getting to the problem that tanks have to play so passively to not die

It comes down to the solo tank’s survivability. I am fine with more aggressive tanks, but the questions is can they survive being aggressive.

We will have to wait and see. I just hope the devs focus on making tanks/brawlers more enjoyable to play and not glorified punching bags that spend most of their time walking back from spawn.

If tanking/Brawling is a terrible experience then there will be a sharp decline in tanks players in the same way as OW1. Which then leads to longer queue times.

They should find ways to build up a dedicated tank players and not just people who are there to farm Priority Passes.

11 Likes

It was that Overwatch 2 stream they had back in (May?): They played on maps such as Toronto, Rio, Rome, and New York.

That’s what most have been using as a basis for what the PvP will most likely look like. Of course, some heroes (such as Sigma) were disabled from play as they were getting more drastic reworks apparently.

Honestly, if Tanks don’t have a way to get into the fight, their survivability will be for naught. The devs want to move them in the way of Initiators rather than Defenders, but have shown little in the ways of how they will close the distance to combat the enemy.

5 Likes

Rein still gets MORE firestrikes. Turning makes his Charge stronger. Those changes are on top of the damage dealer Rein is already. They’re definitely buffs, DPS buffs at that.

A copy of DPS Rein? Winston would be insanely fun that way. His damage is garbage right now, he’s one of the few defenders left & Blizzard has been killing that job.

see the difference is rein is about 4x the size of mercy and makes more noise

2 Likes

Like usual, you’re thinking logically. But you aren’t thinking like how Blizzard thinks. If Reinhardt is even a little bit good in OW2, we’ll be getting the same “TANKS HAVE TOO MUCH VALUE” posts and tanks will be getting the same nerfs. I don’t know why anyone has faith in Blizzard’s balance at this point.

14 Likes

Easy fix for that.

Let those players quit.

Devs aren’t so oblivious that they aren’t aware that the amount of players who dislike bad queue times and boring tanks, is bigger than the people who insist Tanks be balanced like they were previous to Role Queue.

Especially when you consider Overwatch 2 new players are probably mostly going to come from FPS games.

And a lot of the players who don’t go for kills, and just dutifully heal or block damage, are headed to PVE

1 Like

See, that’s the thing, I don’t get it. If you literally cannot function as a tank without another guy babysitting you the whole match, you’re probably just a bad tank.

1 Like