Why do people think tanks are getting buffed? 5v5

They’re not going to. That stuff lends itself to the deathmatch-lite impetus of ow2. I reckon it’ll be a year or two before they actually adjust the mobile/one shot heroes.

What?

Are you sure?

I really really really appreciate this response - and just the fact that you’re active on the forums sharing these insights with us! Thank you!

3 Likes

Not something we’re prepared to talk about yet unfortunately.

Apologies!

17 Likes

Amazing post.

That’s all.

I’m almost positive. I think widow’s damage was buffed too because at one point she oneshots zarya who looked like she was at full health.

1 Like

This concern is something we’re paying close attention to in our playtests.

So far, we’ve seen that heroes like Doomfist, Wrecking Ball (and to some degree Tracer), will need to be rebalanced, and maybe even nerfed, to make sure they’re not super overpowered in the new meta.

Changes like the ones we’ve discussed in the PVP Livestream and here in this thread are incredibly complicated. They have far reaching ramifications throughout the game. Your question correctly assumes that they can never be evaluated in a vacuum.

32 Likes

Not as far as we know :woman_shrugging:

Looks like you have to rely on either your Tank picking something that can peel and do nothing but babysit you the entire game, or on DPS players learning to not ignore their own backline and peel by dealing damage.

That’s so odd. At 110 damage she’d literally be a better dps than the dps heroes. 2 shotting 200 hp heroes and completely ignoring armour with 110 damage would be insane.

Probably damage boost, there’s no way they’d be buffing snipers’ damage for OW2. I hope.

1 Like

Are there any concerns that damage boosts like discord orb could be too powerful or too punishing against a single tank? I have a feeling in 5 v 5 discord orb would be very strong to quickly melt tank heroes.

High burst heroes like Echo and Hanzo sound like they would be an OW2 balancing nightmare as well.

2 Likes

Yah pretty much. Barriers break so quickly then you are melted. Gonna be super fun when you are the sole tank…

As someone who exclusively plays quickplay classic (open queue) or arcade, this is a very concerning answer :cold_sweat:

(But i am insanely grateful you answered it best you can though, been wondering for months now)

Just to manage expectations: don’t read too much into my answer. It shouldn’t be taken as an indication that anything is or isn’t changing with these game modes.

29 Likes

And dey say… you must be joking :cry:

I’m assuming this is the new version of Doom.

I’m excited to see what they’ve done with him actually.

It’s been clear that with a game like Overwatch where we’ve been playing for 5 years and we still can’t predict how the smallest changes will cascade to alter the meta, no one will be able to predict what 5v5 will feel like.

Can’t wait for heroes like rein to have more offensive options, but being unable to use them, because they get obliterated without an offtank. I don’t even see how you could charge offensively in OW2’s environment, since you already mostly can’t in OW1.

I hope those things are being taken in consideration when nerfing the defense of tanks. Two healer and the off-tank is already often not enough to prevent a MT from exploding. I don’t see how removing the off tank (which provide a lot of protection), and making tank be worse defensively going to make them survive better.

4 Likes

I’m going to refer back to this paragraph in my first post:

Additionally, the aforementioned ability of supports to better focus on keeping a single tank alive will have an impact on this.

21 Likes

I appreciate it. Though if a tank limit is necessary for open/qpc, i would propose using the “hero limit” mechanic that older arcade modes or some custom game uses.

Essentially you can have as many dps/healers as you want but only one tank (or two?) per team. And if someone switches off tank, the spot re-opens for anyone of the team.

I assume this wont stop some people from sticking to the tank role or their favorite hero (as open/role is kind of about being able to do that or play rock paper scissors with the enemy like tf2) but in a more organised team it would allow someone to switch off if they wanna try something else with a hard counter and open the spot for someone else who has a different idea/plan with a different tank they are better at.

Don’t know if you can answer, but when you playtest OW2, is the performance better than OW1?

Performance, min-specs, etc is not something we’re talking about yet. We’ll certainly have more information on that in the future.

12 Likes

I’m not sure what you are exactly able to do, but wouldn’t it be better to have a beta of some sort or have an exp patch with what’s currently being run, that way more of the community could give feedback

also, will 6v6 still be a playable mode? idk I think its kindof a waste to just completely trash what has been used for the past 4-5 years