Why do people say DPS instead of DD in OW?

Maybe to you, I have never heard DD as damage dealer in my 18 years of online gaming. I hear either offensive, attack, or DPS characters.

3 Likes

Except DD has been Direct Damage for a LONG time.

• Direct Damage (DD) mean the damage hits the target directly.
  • Damage Overtime (DOT) mean the damage happens slowly over a set period of time
  • Area of Affect (AoE) mean the damage hits everything in an area.
  • Bolt Damage means the damage travels and will hit the first thing it come in contact with.
2 Likes

It’s the current online meta, to maximize DPS.

In WoW:Legacy there was diversity with crowd control and lack of enrage timers, but then it was mostly taken out in WotLK and everyone had to get the biggest number of Expertise and all that kind of thing. DPS were the important thing.

At the moment there’s 17 MMO’s (both P2P and F2P) with this forced mentality, mostly on developers who does this one combo : 1. Enrage timers, 2. Absurd health.

This is also applied on first person shooters with gimmicks or without them, because the first one shooting usually has the advantage anyway.

If you want an absurd example for single player, then look at games like Disgaea where you reach level 9999, restart progress with retained levels (up to 2,559,744 stored levels) and it all boils down to being able to do the biggest burst damage in the quadrillions instead of being versatile with defense and tactics.

If you look at the different damage types yes, but in terms of classes it’s a Damage Dealer, someone whose main role is to deal as much damage as possible, no matter if with DoTs, AoE, burst or another way. (Over here on european servers in Dota/WoW)

It gets confusing when you use the same acyornym for different things.

For some reason I use the term “direct damage” to describe frontline damage dealers (hitscans, snipers, etc.). Those that can flank, I simply call “flankers”.

It gets more confusing if you use the same acronym for everything.

Well but it is as well confusing if one refers to DPS as damage class and then again as meter to measure the damage output in damage per seconds.

If two rogues in a raid in WoW took the role of the DDs, they got compared by their DPS and they looked up who did more.

because it’s easier

i think a significant number of OW players played WoW at some point and thats what we called them there. Additionally, a damage dealing specialization is only worth as much damage as it can do consistently so they are referred to as DPS.

Is it though??

“You 2 are the DPS players are your DPS sucks. That is why we died.”

DPS stands for Dooms Per Second.

In Wow in north America i have heard and always used DPS so it just translated over to overwatch for me

DPS just sounds cooler than DD

For me it’s because all the heroes are damage dealers. It’s not like there’s a cleric character that can’t deal damage. And it’s not like there’s magic damage compared to projectile, etc. Any difference in damage type is pretty negligible. DPS for me means a character that’s designed to have their focus on damage. Measured obviously in DPS. I mean sym is a damage dealer. Orisa is a damage dealer. But their kits aren’t focused on their damage per second. For hero’s in DPS categories, that’s where their value lies.

It’s def a regional thing, I hear the Korean playerbase also calls them dealers.

I’ve played MMOs and FPS and games all my life. I’ve literally never heard the term DD or Damage Dealer. It’s always been presented to me as DPS.

I think DPS became a thing because offense heroes and defense hereos are in two different categories but focus on similar things; the amount of damage they can deal. It’s just an umbrella term that’s morphed into meaning a hero who’s goal is focused on damaging and killing the enemy as fast and consistently as possible.

That’s funny; I’ve always been wondering ever since I started the game “why the heck do we say DPS? it makes no sense”
But never managed to find another suitable word for it

Maybe we can bother people in every match until everyone’s saying DD xD

1 Like

I’ve played WoW for YEARS. Never had heard of a DD. I’ve only heard it lately when referring to Offensive Heroes.

All heroes can do damage, thus all heroes are damage dealers.
Stop using DD lol.