Why do new accounts still start placements with 2500 SR players?

Yup. Had an Orisa who never went with the team once. As in, he died, so we backed off and waited to regroup, and he would go some other route that made no sense and die again. Either completely new or soft throwing.

If you’ve never played comp before, initial placement ranks are based off of your QP rank. So if a newbie is going around 50-50 with ~2500 SR players in quick play, their placements will start around ~2500 SR.

Edit: this is not true.

Ofc, most of the time QP is nothing like comp.

1 Like

It’s actually not. It still places all people gold/plat for their first placement on a new account. And not everyone even plays QP, so that would be horrible. You can tell how well people play based on arcade.

1 Like

I was about 90% sure you were wrong, and was looking for sources to prove it. But after looking through WyomingMist’s “How Competitive Skill Rating Works” post and following a couple of the footnotes with research and dev quotes, clearly you’re right. Everyone does end up around 2500 SR.

That’s very surprising - I know (or think I know) that back when arcade was first added, it’s ranks were based off of QP ranking. So why wouldn’t comp be also?

It does take MMR data into account. You just get 2250 fresh if you have no MMR data. Such as if you start an account and level to 25 Junkenstein only, which I did on a Reaper one trick account last year. Most of my other accounts put me at 2800 relatively consistently.

You mean quick play MMR data? This guy tested some pretty solid evidence that QP rank doesn’t affect comp, but if you have other evidence I’d love to see it - IMO it makes no sense to ignore QP MMR.

1 Like

Idk, maybe I just get 2800 solely on my placements. I do sort of wreck shop.

1 Like

As he said, you don’t have to wreck shop for that. You start out around 100 SR per win, so if you go 5-0 in placements, you’ll actually start above 2800 regardless of whether you’re carried or the carry.

1 Like

Better yet, require a minimum amount of time played for each role type before getting into competitive.

8 hours on any hero(es) for each role for a total of 24 hours play time.

You don’t even need to go 5-0. I did the role queue beta and got 2900 on tank going 3-2

I lose most of my placements, actually. I just perform really sick in them. Lots of dank headshots. High end accuracy. Gold elims and damage well above the average. You know?

I freaking won 4 this time and got booted out of diamond despite having a 100 SR buffer. 15 SR away. How they going to do this to me, fam. My precious CP!

This thread is about new accounts placing for the first time, and the issues therein. Your experience is irrelevant unless you are constantly buying new accounts. New accounts work differently.

Yes, I have 7 of them. I am just talking about how nonsensical placements are and used my main as an example. I consistently get 2800 when I try. I got 2250 with the no MMR Reaper account (I did bad during placements for some reason and then climbed up to diamond without losing, it was weird). And when I purposely hard threw, I got 2250.

When I did placements with a silver friend, it gave me silver even though there is no way in hell.

So idk. In my experience, the MMR data counts. But if there is evidence to the contrary, I might have just been getting variable results from overly dramatic placements.

I don’t know any other competitive game that seeds new accounts as median players. It’s absurd. Taking into account QP or arcade performance would also push out any alts to close to their tier before they get to wreck actual placements. The fact that you can be fighting gm in QP consistently before you start placements and then switch to immediately destroying gold players is beyond stupid. The fact that you can be fighting consistent bronze in QP and then get placed gold and feed all the way down for 1000SR is also insane. It’d be hard to think of a worse system for initial placements than Overwatch’s without imagining an April fool’s system like placing everyone as gm or something. Idk how they never figured out how damaging this is for the game. Or more likely they understand the impact and just don’t care

1 Like

because its the absolute middle of all of competitive ranks.

1 Like

So professional gamers and 5 year olds should all start there. Good point. Makes for a balanced, fair competitive scene.

1 Like

I didn’t say that. you asked why it starts there. I answered. don’t ask for an answer if you are going to lash out like a 3 year old because you don’t like it.

I went down to bronze once… when i had just started playing.

It is not a fun place…

I still have PTSD from it

1 Like

I agree with you. When I started I played TONS of Play vs AI as D.VA. I played QP probably like 10 times and performed well, so I started to play competitive and lost every single placement. Placed bronze. I had barely any knowledge of the game and ruined people’s games. I constantly fed.

1 Like

Why should they have to start somewhere no one else did?
New players if they are bad will not be in those games for very long.

*I am okay with the concept of EVERYONE starting in bronze and having to work their way up. Which would mean a reset, but no one likes that word.