Why do I only get a small SR gain after a win?

I was playing DPS yesterday and after a win, I went from 2507 to 2516. 9 whole points. After that match I lost a pretty close game where I did decent. Dropped down to 2490. I’m not sure if anyone else experienced this. Is this a bug or is it intended to punish you more for losses this season?

I can’t be sure, but I think it seems to think that your influence on that game was not all that great and that your follow up performance was poor.

So it’s trying to normalize your rank.

I’m not the best McCree player, but I did pretty well in the game I won, getting my first triple kill without high noon. I just don’t think it was worth the 9 SR I gained while a similar performance with Reaper dropped me 26 SR.

You felt you did well. Statistically you must have done poorly compared to people at your rank on those heroes on those maps on those sides (attack vs defence).

A big issue a lot of people have is that the game makes you feel like a gaming god even when you’re mediocre.

You did one HP damage and the enemy dies within a few seconds (a few seconds is a really long time in Overwatch) and a big message basicslly saying “GOOD WORK, BUDDY! YOU DID GREAT!” comes up in the middle of your screen.

You do tonnes of trash damage and get a gold medal…while the enemy supports keep their team up and build ults every 20 seconds. But hey, you have a gold medal!

You have 1,804,844,749,494,746 damage blocked. Go you! Oh wait, you blocked crud tonnes of trash damage and your barrier is dead every time lethal damage is incoming and your team mates get deleted.

Etc.

Recently 9 SR gains typically happen when the other team has a leaver. Other possibilities are discussed at How Competitive Matchmaking and Rating Works (Season 19).

Because your stats are not good enough to gain more points