Why do healers suck so bad?

A bad mercy always gets value either by holding left click or being a decoy. Other supports play very inconsistent and rely too much on “their bad dps”.

Plat Mercy players are the bane of my existence. Turns out it’s hard to farm ult as the main healer when your Mercy has horrendous healing priority… I’d say she’s easy to get some value on at any rank, but it’s easy to slip into the habit of mindlessly providing low value on her because making plays would require thinking more.

3 Likes

How can she get value when she is near constantly dead? Everyone is going to be gunning for her, and will exploit her bad positioning. That’s Mercy’s deal. She needs good positioing. A bad Mercy is a Mercy with terrible positioning. Lower ranked Mercy’s get away with it because a lot of people fail to exploit an enemy’s bad positioning. Higher ranks do.

as a meh 3k+ player who still plays a ton of QP with lower ranks and I’ve seen gold whine about trash supports, no heals etc when it’s like two master support mains on the team.

It’s that lower ranks take TOO much damage and position in ways that no amount of healing can save. They don’t tend to peel for anyone so even if the support can win the back line fight, it still cuts their attention from heals.
Then the big one is no one under 3k seems to understand that shields block healing. So tanks rumble past a fresh winston bubble or Orisa shield and that instantly cuts their heals.

also little grasp or tracking if the main support is alive or dead. So they push when down Ana vs play safe…

I mean in most cases when a low rank support seems bad it’s all compounding issues of everyone else playing poorly too. Then for the OP, if you’re in open rank you’re not getting very many tank or support mains, as that mode is pointless for them. So that’s another layer of meh

8 Likes

Just FYI, healers can only out heal so much stupid. If your stupid is beyond that, your deaths are your own fault. I do my best to heal but people in gold/plat cant figure out how to swap and work as a team. Blizzard promotes solo play with so many of these chars it makes it a nightmare

5 Likes

exactly this lmao, I get flamed all the time (master sup) when not even 5 mercys can heal some of these feeders

3 Likes

I agree you can’t heal stupid and even if you win your back line fights your team still manages to die while you are busy.
But I still think that most supports don’t do their job.
I was in a lobby that got dominated by an enemy Bastion and I was the only one to counter him with Mei. My tanks stayed Hammond & Hog, my second dps didn’t swap off Doomfist and our Ana use a single sleep or anti nade against Bastion despite me walling him up every 15 seconds.
Instead he was playing right behind our “tanks” and got him self killed first.
I was tired of that game and left instead of wasting my time. Turns out they won 5v6 but I didn’t regret it because until I left it really was unwinnable. After watching the replay I found out that our useless Doom went Phara and the trash Ana pocketed him with Mercy. So they essentially lost one but gained two players.
Any other pick but Mercy would have lost them the game change my mind.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong I do get some very good healers and I thank them profusely when they, you know, actually heal…but most games it feels like one healer is healing their butts off and the other is doing nothing OR neither is healing at all…I’m talking about 80-90% of my games…that’s not an arbitrary number it’s personal raw data.

I really wish there was a 3v3 competitive so there’s more control over groups…didn’t they have that at one point?

Everybody’s worst nightmare no role benefits from this stuff

1 Like

Ana and Hog can both be strong picks against bastion, if both choose an off-angle and work together, the Ana can sleep bastion, Hog can hook him, Ana can anti him - 3 abilities that counter bastions entire kit, only by using a nice off-angle. So your mates made smart picks, whereas Mei can’t really do much against Bastion. If you attempt to freeze him in any way, no healer can heal the damage Bastion deals. Your wall gets melted in no time. If you would’ve picked Zarya, you could have bubbled the Ana to help her sleep and anti the Bastion. Just when I was typing this, I got into an OQ match and did exactly that. Worked extremely well, no Mei in sight. So please stop talking so derogatory about people making smart picks. In case they didnt try any of that, the problem might very well be the team not enabling them to do so.

1 Like

All. Of. This.

Here’s how a HUGE majority of my games goes.

What I Do In Every Game:

1. I go my best healer (Mercy/Moira/Ana)
  2. I work with what other heroes the team has picked
  3. I heal EVERYONE to the best of my abilities
  4. I swap when I’m getting hunted or if other heals are needed
  5. I warn my team about enemy positions

What Ends Up Happening In My Games:

1. DPS refuse to swap even when getting hard countered
  2. DPS runs out into a 1V3-6 and complains about getting healed
  3. DPS always DEMANDS the whole team swap to help only them
  4. DPS always runs through shields and behind walls
  5. DPS yell about heals when both supports are dead
  6. DPS flanks, dies, complains about tanks pushing when they are
  7. Tanks swap to Hog to pick up DPS slack/tired of toxicity
  8. DPS starts blaming whole team and starts throwing
  9. Tanks & Supports ask them to swap, they refuse and trash team
  10. DPS tells Tanks & Supports to do their job

You didn’t swap to junk? The one hero who can lob nades over the environment, the main go-to for bastion killing? Mei wall is decent since you have no shields but just like with shields that wall will be melted in a second. The amount of damage a bastion outputs is far more than any solo heal can provide and if you are just running out there in an attempt to wall then the bastion will eat. You. Up. At that point its time to switch.

You left and the team won. Hmm. And a DPS swapped and things got easier? Hmm.

But Ana has more heal potential then mercy??? Unless I missed an update of some kind? I mean I guess its easier with a lock on heals but at least its showing that your Ana was at least trying.

That don’t sound like trying.

Hmm.

1 Like

Yeah no. Contrary to your belief it is not always the damage role that is the reason you lose. Often times it is also the fault of the tanks or (gasp) the supports that a game is lost. You’re just mad and they’re the scapegoat you chose. No worse than what OP is doing when solely blaming the supports.

1 Like

I never said their picks were dumb Ana is the best support against Bastion but she never did anything useful. Hog can work too but the player never got in range for a hook and was feeding long range.
How is Mei a bad pick when they have two shields the only way to even do damage is to wall him up I never said anything about freezing him as if I would left click a Bastion lol.

In what world is a doomfist better than I Mei against Bastion how was that my fault?

Yeah Junk could work but not when your team has no shields while they have two lol. Junk can’t deal with two shields alone. Ana has more healing potential but not if the player is trash.
I was trying but my team wasn’t so I left.

2 Likes

You know what is worst for bastion (tank buster)? Sigma+Orisa :smile:

Best counter to him.

I don’t get it. You mean they are countering him or Bastion counters them? I mean Sigma works but Orisa? Meh

2 Likes

They do counter him. It is hell to play against that as bastion :smile: together of course.

You were right with mei of course btw.

Well I guess you can if both play it smart with their shift.

1 Like

Oh no, I have come across some games where the tanks was the sole problem, and games where it was on the supports. But like I said a majority of my games its been DPS. I’m not saying all DPS are bad and are sole to blame. What I was saying was usually in my games its the DPS who: Try to force people to switch so they wont have to even though they are being hard countered and then proceed to not use the kits of the heroes they asked for, yell and insult the healers when both are dead for lack of heals even though those DPS didn’t peel back to help/save them, go on long flanks and die then yell at the tanks for not pushing up (even though they did), tell the other roles to do their jobs for them, and then blame everyone but themselves.

No joke, I had a reaper run past a hog on his way to point A on volskysa and just ignore him as he killed our 2 heals (the last surviving people of a team fight) who were taking the point. I saw this through death cam and when I confronted him about it he told me it was MY job (as the tank) to kill the other tanks! Literally the best hero for killing hog, and he tells someone else to do his job for him. We weren’t that far in taking point A, I dont even remember if we got first tick but that hog wiped everyone on that point and we lost the game. I’ve had so many games like this where the DPS just act this way. Very little where the tanks and supports do this.

I’m not saying DPS are the cause all to every problem in every game. This is a team game after all, it takes everyone working together to pull through. I’m just saying in my games these are the kind of DPS I constantly see, though I have had some games where I’ve gotten some amazing DPS like doom, genji, pharah (no pocket), good DPS exist, just very few in my games.

I don’t think I said doom was better than mei against a bastion, however you were the one to notice first and if doom wasn’t switching then you should have tried to compensate and went junk.

Junk still works good against bastion even without shields, as I said he can lob it over the environment and still hit the bastion, you just need to get a good angle. Even with shields, bastion would have melted them if they’re right in front and if you were able to kill him after both shields got broken (or even just before) the rest of his team would come in to finish the job.

Now the Ana may have been bad (I’ve been in a game with an Ana who just started and missed every heal, nade, and sleep, I know this pain), however if your doom refused to swap, and you think junk wouldnt be good, then you could have asked your Ana if they would be willing to go mercy if you went pharah. This sounds like it would have worked especially when they won doing it right? This is a team game, if you see that something isn’t working and no one will adjust to fix it, then you need to. Even if its something you may not be good with at least attempt it.

There’s a saying I absolutely love. “It’s not over, until its over.” Meaning the game is still winnable until that clock hits 0.0 seconds. Even if it seems like it’s going to end in a loss keep at it until its over. You will either win, or you will make the enemy work for their win and go down fighting.

2 Likes

this is so true. the reins are constantly swinging when they should not be, the sigmas don’t rotate their skills properly, the orisa doesn’t back off properly on time, and the dva/winston retreat way too late.

Best you can hope for is a roadhog E. at least with that you might be able to heal them.

Gold is so unhealable, you need to be carrying in other ways than just healing output