Why did Blizzard patched 'Oneshot Roadhog' back into the game + a higher fire rate?

Pretty much the net nerf is like you cant one shot every hero 250<=hp now, theres exceptions.

Yup. They didn’t give Roadhog back his old damage, they just fixed it so his shotgun spread was way less random.

Having it whether or not you got a kill with Roadhog nearly entirely determined by randomness was bad design.

So they fixed it.

1 Like

And his take a breather was reworked!

Because he was a throw pick. End of.

1 Like

I’d still prefer the Roadhog from Season 4, over what we have now though.

Current Roadhog is pretty great too, but he feeds too much Ult charge, for him to be viable in higher ranks.

Old roadhog was way more fundamentally flawed. He was good only because of one ability. His hook. His take a breather was too risky and he could still feed ult charge. Now there is less risk to take a breather, hook is still a strong punisher and he has a more diverse kit than old roadhog

2 Likes

Old Roadhog could oneshot a discorded Dva.

He was a lot like Bastion, in that he was limited in his gameplay niche, but extraordinarily powerful in that niche.

To be fair, that’s probably just because people think it’s bad design to begin with.

And current roadhog still excels in countering dive heroes. When dive was meta I used roadhog to counter the Winston and dva. He can’t one shot them but it’s more used to zone them out. Making the back line more vulnerable. In fact SFS used roadhog in that very way against outlaws

Blockquote Why does everyone have to complain about Roadhog anytime he can do what he is designed to do

he is designed to oneshot? Since when? He is a tank without almost endless life in 1vs1… why isnt he supposed to drag the enemie close the group and then killing the enemy after 2 shots?

First off he can’t one shot, he still has to thrown in a melee and even that whole combo is unreliable at times. For whatever reason it almost never works on hanzo.
Pre nerf roadhog could oneshot literal one shot Zaria and de-mech dva when her armor was 400 and 200 health. He is nothing like he was before. I was a big supporter of bearding road hog back then, he’s fine now, even fun.
Lol phone auto corrected nerfing to bearding. It sounds funny so I’m leaving it

1 Like

BlockquoteFirst off he can’t one shot, he still has to thrown in a melee and even that whole combo is unreliable at times

He can oneshot a 200 HP char without doing a melee combo…

Heh, well, I am a fan of the current Roadhog design.

Still waiting on something like this:

Or this

Thick skin seems more like a detriment to your team rather than help

1 Like

Blockquote Still waiting on something like this:

Passive: Thick Skin

• Enemies/Healers gain 50% less Ultimate charge when damaging/healing Roadhog

Or this

Roadhog

• Take A Breather
    • No ultimate charge given to enemies during the ability.
    • Can bodyblock enemy ultimates to bodyguard his teammates (I.e. Rein/Dva Ultimate). Roadhog is still affected by the attacks.

Why should it be so?

It grants roadhog a very huge amount of ult charge when healing himself… + he is a damage focused tank. if you dont want a character to be an ult battery take a shield tank with much less damage and no option to oneshot kill 200 HP chars

Because tank hero variety could be a lot better, and the highest virtue in game balance design is more worthwhile+unique choices. I.e. “Competitive Variety”.

The spread change doesn’t really affect oneshotting ability, it affects targets further away much more. Prior to it, targets at hook drop range weren’t far enough away for spread to matter except in extremely rare times where a bunch of pellets would randomly miss. Now that doesn’t happen anymore.

But even before, any Hog with half a clue what they were doing could still one shot most people most the time, barring hook weirdness placing the target above or to the side of Hog (looking at you, Pharah and Genji).

That patch was actually a net nerf for Hog due to them “fixing a bug” in his alt fire fall off damage that dramatically nerfed it against shields and tanks at mid range. .

The changes to Roadhog probably were not entirely about balance.

Roadhog isn’t a useful character without a one shot combo when his kit isn’t design to help the team. (Honestly he’s not that great compared to the other tanks with it)

Roadhog’s one shot combo design however also happens to be annoying as can be especially in matches with limited team play. Roadhog didn’t need team play to kill you and you needed it to kill him. (However, due to the amount he fed in this process I don’t think his winrate was that impressive)

I would guess it came back because the audience Blizzard wants doesn’t mind the hook combo.

Do note that the total damage it had before isn’t back it’s just that it can be more reliable as a kill than it was prior to the changes.

he has always had the ability to oneshot he just was considered a troll pick for a while

Because the developers don’t know what tf they’re doing as far as balancing the game goes.

The game is designed to play with MOBA mechanics; TANK, DPS, SUPPORTS.

They eliminated every kind of SUPPORT and replaced them with HEALERS because derp. They misplaced most of the DPS into a confused state of worthlessness and boosted the damage capability of all the tanks leading toward the GOATs meta which is just beyond ridiculous, and still leave some heroes completely useless in all regards.

It is my personal belief that the developers of this game are players themselves, well that’s obvious, but they buff/nerf heroes according to what they personally prefer according to the heroes they like to play, to benefit only themselves. Forget the entire rest of the community. We the players are just free bug-testers for the developers in their game. And for OWL.

Don’t even think about talking about nerfing Genji in any shape or fashion, because the moderators on these forums will ban you for it.