Why can't I be a Yeti?

I got very lucky. Only took two games to get the spray. I chose Prefer Yeti first time and got into a game; eliminated 1 Mei before getting destroyed by the coordinated others. After one legit try I knew my only chance would be to ask a lobby to let me win. After all, I did these modes years ago for all the achievements and would’ve never bothered to ever play this again otherwise.

I queue prefer Yeti again, and two games in a row of preferring Yeti I actually got Yeti 2/2 times. The Meis all jumped off for me after I asked, and I won.

Thank God.

1 Like

how about not making challenges so stupid!

1 Like

This isn’t an “overcrowding” issue, at least not at its heart. Even if literally everyone was queuing for Yeti, you still should have gotten ~6 Yeti games in those 35 matches.

The core issue is a bug that, so far as I can tell from a lot of work experimenting with the queue behavior over the years, seems to incorrectly put certain players into the Prefer Hunter queue despite their choosing Prefer Yeti. Prefer Hunter queuers can still get the Yeti sometimes if there aren’t enough people in the Preder Yeti queue, and that’s where the spray incentive comes in. There’s a lot more people in the Prefer Yeti queue than usual, so if you’re unlucky enough to have an account that is for some reason cursed to always go to the Prefer Hunter queue, it takes an absurd number of games to get the Yeti.

1 Like

No, I get that, my times have been long for a Yeti turn too, but I seem to get it after every 5-10 games. So when I hear someone claim it takes them 50+ games before a Yeti turn I’m like, I can barely even play that many games in a day x_x

This is a terrible challenge. If you have any sway, just pass on that WE (THE PLAYERS) just want to play the modes WE WANT TO PLAY. I only care about Role Queue… stop forcing the Arcade on us to get items all heroes used to get and were basically free since they were low level tier lootbox items.

Having to do this challenge to get Ramattra’s Ornament spray when all you had to do was open a lootbox in previous years… yeah. Reevaluate this.

why are the devs so silent… why do they choose to hide behind their twitch streamers instead like theyre a knight in shinning armor?

all that makes perfect sense and have no idea why it hasnt been addressed, but i guess the guy did, “well just complete the hunter games and youll get yeti… huh huh.”

It’s frustrating that “Prefer Yeti” working as intended for you counts as lucky. I mean, I’m glad that you got what you needed, but it’s stupid to need luck to even have a chance at completing the challenge.

I think this mode just hasn’t been very important. I understand a queueing bug that affects maybe a small number of players for a mode that is only available for a few weeks a year would be low on the priority list with all the OW2 stuff they’ve been doing (that is assuming that whoever monitors the bug forums even captured a bug ticket for the reports in past years). But, it is indeed frustrating that they placed a reward on top of this bug without fixing it.

It’s not Craig’s fault though. He’s not a dev; he’s just communicating what he’s been told about how the system works. That he even responded to one of the reports is itself an improvement. I’m just hoping that he communicates the evidence that it is not actually working as intended back to the devs.

1 Like

Here is how to actually get yeti.

1. Put one player on avoid
  2. Leave the match
  3. Queue again
  4. Repeat until you get yeti

It will takes a lot of games but is faster than waiting for every match to finish.
Also the 50% winrate will start to kick in because of all the leaves in and you may even get lucky to get weaker opposition because of it.

2 Likes

Just in case this makes it easier to demonstrate my case, here is the data that I gathered back during the Anniversary 2019 event when Yeti Hunt was up in rotation. It’s more difficult to replicate this experiment now without auto-queue largely keeping lobbies together. But, I have seen no indication whatsoever that the bug that caused me to have 18 consecutive Hunter games—while queued for Yeti—while 3 other players each got to be the Yeti 4+ times in my lobbies has been fixed. So, I think this data is still relevant to the issue that OP is reporting.

:sob::sob::sob:

Maybe the issue works both ways. Some people are pushed into Hunter queue and some people are pushed into Yeti queue? I wish we could trade, I just wanna be the Yeti

i got my achievment yrs ago.

i just ask if ppl want a free win and if majority do i’ll just suicide or stand and let em kill me.

Yeti is just too strong unless the mei’s work together (even if 1 doesnt they end up feeding)

First post by the Community Manager since December, 6th.
That’s over a week ago.
ABK truly have their priorities sorted, eh?

:rofl:

It probably be faster to ask everyone in the game. If everyone would help each player get the unlock.

He is just the only guy who is willing to engage with the forum.
The actual community manager hasn’t posted since nov 1st.

You should look again since his forum rank literally is “Community Manager”. :smiley:

There’s a new event challenge this year for winning as the Yeti, which gives a new spray (the Ramattra ornament). I guess there’s a couple of older achievement sprays to be gotten by playing Yeti too, but sprays for the new heroes are more precious I guess.

I just want to play Yeti because I like playing Yeti though.

so what happens when people that get yeti and complete the challenge and stop playing it?

i have ran into a few games where the game just quits because the game couldnt find enough people to play. REALLY FUN!

1 Like

Hey Craig, we definitely miss your presence here and we hope you’re doing well. Good to see you here. Hopefully we can have more of it in the future.