Why balance/fix things takes so long?

That’s no excuse.

The console versions are already balanced differently (Pharah, Torb, etc.) because of control differences. Nothing wrong with patching PC as fast as they can put them out and then whenever M$/Sony want to get around to it.

Not Blizzard’s fault consoles are inferior.

Your resistance

1 Like

Your existence. :church:

1 Like

In an old interview Jeff had said a big reason why it takes so long to balance already existing heroes is because of the addition of new heroes, which divides their attention more and more.

I imagine the same reasoning could be applied to why game balancing takes so long. -cough- OWL -cough- :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Balancing overwatch is like weighing a broken scale.
There will never be a perfect balance so you have to try and figure out the best possible one.
They’re working day and night I assume to make the game better and you make you like it more.
Every nerf or buff needs to be tested many, many times before being thrown out into the game. Just how it is and always will be.

1 Like

Well they are doing a horrendous job at testing the balance changes. Do I really need to bring up Mercy?

1 Like

Mercy was one of the best balances they ever did?

Small indie company.

3 Likes

Blizzard is a struggling up and coming dev team in a world of lazy AAA companies who focus more on selling the game than developing and maintaining it. I do not care for these threads that treat it like it has had a decade of success and experience and a solid financial foundation to afford the kind of team you’d need to belt out patches, content updates and lore at the breakneck pace the players seem to expect. For that matter it’s not like Overwatch was hyped up before launch, it wasn’t even one of the most popular games of its launch year. We need to give Blizzard time to get their footing before they get things right.

/SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSs

2 Likes

My guess is the dev team is too small to patch the game more frequently.

Keep in mind that it likely takes a lot more effort and time to make a new hero for OW than for a moba or even something like RS6. They need to prioritize new content or it would take forever to release.

So the devs can probably only fix issues one at a time which led to them severly falling behind in everything but new gameplay content and the OWL.

In short, Activision Blizzard is cheap and this live service thing is doomed because big publishers can’t help themselves but to cut corners in the development of games.

Alright, i’m off playing one of the dozens of free2play games that receive more attention and updates by their devs. :disappointed_relieved:

Suree… poor OW with 25 heroes, its to hard to balance things at faster rate. For sure… as example, DF lmb joke buff needed almost a year of testing and bug fixing to work like it should! Now imagine what would happen if it got Dota like hero roster. Disaster!

I had a break, not much changed when I comed back. Thats the point.

1 Like

Then take another, or leave the game altogether-things arent magically going to get better.
Overwatch’s hero’s are a lot more detailed then any mobas due to being a FPS-animation needs to be precise, the hitboxes need to be correct, people can see bugs more easily then from a top down view.

Trying to scrape together continued content and support for 27 and counting hero’s is going to get harder and harder.
I’m hoping they stop adding them in the near future at least for a while-just to balance out what they have.

1 Like

Im not talking about animations (which are way more complicated than number tweaking), Im talking about number tweaks (like 76 had his dmg reduction nerf eyc.) which doesnt need advanced testing, programing and time. At least they should just try it on pst (like it should be), and chose if it works or not.

What makes OW numbers more detailed than Dota as example ? Tweaking dmg, hp, resists or even hitboxes… none of them needs advanced programming. Look what they did with early DF, it took them 2-3 WEEKS to change his RP hitbox. Or 76, Genji, Widow (beta one). It all took 100 faster than our current changes.

On top of that… you say “animation needs to be precise, the hitboxes need to be correct”. Sadly we still have tons of unprecise animations with tons of weird hitbox issues and other bugs. I’ll be okay with long updates time IF it comes with really good and polished changes.

agreed. they focus too much money and effort on OWL and content that does not last more than a month.

for OWL they dont want to balance heroes or create major updates mid-season because they dont want pros to get mad. these pros practice every day with the current builds of the game, exploiting weakness and playing heroes that are meta; if any changes go live before a big match, they would have nothing to work with.

im honestly tired of skins now. back then, it was “oh boy, i hope it is my hero’s turn to get a legendary!” and people were even camparring who has the least amount of skins or the most. now, i just dont care anymore.

besides new heroes, events are the only good thing (content wise) that this game has to offer. however, all events are usually season-themed. the general concept of each event are really good ideas! the PvE of uprising, the PvE horde mode of Junkensteins revenge, the futbol of Lucioball, and Capture the Flag mode of new years. futbol, horde-mode, PvE, CTF, and heck even mayhem mode would be all fun additions to the game, but they are all limited time events with holiday themes. but i digress from the main topic, sorry.

yes, balancing is slow. i blame Blizzards desperate actions to make Overwatch the best major league game even thought it is an unbalanced and toxic mess, and i dont really care about skins anymore.

3 Likes

I can literally go into a custom game and lower cooldowns or adjust damage or other things in a minute or two.
I’m not a professional programmer or coder I can do this in game anytime I please. You’re telling me that professional people at blizzard can’t make small changes like this frequently?

2 Likes

You think Overwatch’s balance patches are slow?
Play Team Fortress 2 for a couple years and the Overwatch dev team will seem lightning fast by comparison.

It’s a game with about 5000 interactions and micro interactions between each character. Each change, changes these interactions in some way, and must be tested both technically for bugs, and gameplay-wise for actual fun. If they don’t like the changes, they have to do more, and it takes more time.

Because game design isnt as simple as playing said game.

Just lazy, they probably swim in $$.

I think it’s because they had been so focused on new events and OWL.

So they are now scaling that back.