Why aren't smurfs bannable?

Hmm, that does make sense, I do like CSGO’s Overwatch since only experienced players get to use the system, and the fact that there’s a lot of them (which is also it’s greatest flaw due to them not being trained).

the money, its ironic that i saw a documentary about LoL a game i don’t even play, but it pointed out players who have been banned for smurfing.

They dont ban the smurfs because well, they bought the extra account. lots of players do in hopes of rating resets, if they banned them, that would halt some money which would not make some stock holders happy.

Exactly, I was recently accused of cheating on Widowmaker (in a losing match too) because I got play of the game and my shots luckily flicked to the targets three in a row. My scooped accuracy overall however was 38% for that match.

3 Likes

What legal issues? A few lines in an updated TOS and that’s a non issue. Blizzard just doesn’t want proof of how bad the smurfing/cheating/trolling problem really is in Overwatch.

Yeah, i’ve always had “fishy” moments in CSGO where I would hear the enemies footsteps and know where they went, so I would shoot at them, headshots and be reported, it always scared me a bit.

Console makes up forty to 50 percent of the player base that’s not small. Neither is the PC ow community.

2 Likes

Actually there is going to be a panel upcoming at GDC 2019 that will be similar to the Play Nice, Play Fair BlizzCon Panel that will show steps Blizzard is taking to stop disruptive behavior in games. I think that will be freely accessible so I hope everyone takes time to watch it if and when it goes live.

2 Likes

Lol this is what I get for typing too fast. :liberia:

1 Like

Cause you have a name called “looking to throw” there is no evidence, that they have or are actually going to. That is why… Could just be kids having fun with memes…

1 Like

Smurfs are much less of a problem than most people make it appear.
It’s often mostly used as an excuse akin to “omg hax” when someone is playing well. Or the comment of “throwing” when someone misses one shot.
If you have a smurf in every other game, then the only consistent factor in any given match is yourself and your own paranoia of smurfs.

Sure, there are smurfs, and the few times they are obvious, they’ll confirm your beliefs. But there’s many more times where it’s just a suspicion that is never confirmed, but you still treat it as confirmation because there is nobody telling you they aren’t smurfs. This is called confirmation bias, and people need to stop believing it.

The reason why they are not bannable is because there is no gamerule against having multiple accounts. In fact it has been explicitly allowed, for the sole reason that THROWING is against the rules, as well as BOOSTING.
Both of those can be reported.
And with that, smurfing becomes a non-issue. Any second accounts that play normally (even if they tryhard) won’t be an issue ever.
You don’t report smurfs for being smurfs. But you report them for abnormal behaviour, such as intentionally tanking SR so they keep a low rank to curbstomp noobs. Or if you see a group with 1 diamond and 2 low plats, it could be a boosting attempt.
Reporting people who simply play well for their rank is utterly ridiculous, because how else are people supposed to win matches and get into a higher rank? We all know the matchmaker is broken AF. Don’t blame people with a higher skillset for being put in a rank too low for them, unless you are 100% certain they intentionally tanked SR.

Gamerule against smurfing itself would be impossible to enforce too.
Smurfers who wanna smurf will just use a different email, different paypal, whatever, and they’ll be undetectable by whatever system is in place. Even if you prevented logging in with 2 different accounts on the same device, there will be workarounds for that with virtual machines. And you’ll notice that the complaints against smurfs won’t die down anyway.

Then you can also create a rule now, but it would be impossible to apply it retroactively to existing smurfs. Doing so would result in a massive backlash, and likely a lawsuit as it is basically making something illegal that was intentionally said to be legal. It is basically scamming people, and would be corporate suicide unless they reimbursed all of the alt accounts, which might be a financially unviable decision. So the problem will continue to exist anyway.

2 Likes

Console is also a whole extra issue with smurfs. It is a problem there and I’m sure they would love to crack down n it but Sony and Microsoft won’t let them. Unfortunately smurfs there aren’t something that will get fixed. PC smurfing is a way smaller problem but it is one that Blizz can actually do something about.

Ladies and Gentlemen (and those in between), proof positive that denial is more than a river in Egypt.

1 Like

Also read beyond the first line.

I’ll quote myself:

Sure, there are smurfs, and the few times they are obvious, they’ll confirm your beliefs. But there’s many more times where it’s just a suspicion that is never confirmed, but you still treat it as confirmation because there is nobody telling you they aren’t smurfs. This is called confirmation bias, and people need to stop believing it.

2 Likes

Okay there bud, you are ignorant as all hell if you think that no high ranked players have ever made comments similar to “Looking to throw”, when they in reality are going to tryhard as all hell.

The question shouldn’t be “Why aren’t smurffs banned”. The question should be…

WHY ARE SMURFS ALLOWED to play on general population?
:stuck_out_tongue:

Ok where did you get those numbers from?

Smurfing is bannable.

Having more than one account is fine.

Throwing games to play at a lower rank than you belong at is against the rules. The difficulty comes in catching the throwers.

I always report smurfs for gameplay sabotage. Because that’s what it is. They are a member of a much higher skill bracket tipping the odds of the game in their team’s favor. That isn’t fair, so it’s gameplay sabotage, and I WILL report for it.

1 Like

This is like asking for twinks to get banned.

Banning by skills would be hard. I havent played ranks for months but I bet I would crush my rank since I got lots of aiming practice.