Why are you still arguing about Role Queue? They are working on it

I honestly doubt it is anywhere near ready. People should go listen to the interview themselves as a lot of misconceptions are floating around thy community and a lot of reading between the lines.

tab out and complain about queue times on the forums

3 Likes

I’ve kinda spent all day arguing this on another thread so I don’t really want to get too deep into it. But in a nutshell, I support the following:
A player’s right to play whatever character they want, a team’s ability to use comps other than 2-2-2, and a player/team’s ability to change the team comp in the middle of a game if needed.

Role queue immediately places restrictions on the “play whatever you want” category. Yes, you queue for the role you want at the start of the game, but then you lose the ability to change your mind.
Also, while I hate running 5 dps and 1 tank/healer, I also hate the idea that 2-2-2 is the only viable meta, and am strongly against enforcing it and preventing more creative team comps from emerging.

3 Likes

I mean I mainly play tank and support so I’m not super worried about it but I can see that being a big deterrent.

HA. Okay that’s super fair. :joy:

Or…just stick with me…or they’ll move on to other games that let them frag-out without having them deal with huge queues.

I’m not saying that’s what will happen, but it’s a strong possibility that is very, very not good.

And the pro-side keep ignoring Papa Jeff literally saying in the Stylosa interview that the game is not ready for enforced 2/2/2 or role queues. They have to fix the problems with the overabundance of damage heroes and get the player base into a more diverse hero selection position before they can think about implementing enforced 2/2/2.

An optional role-queue (likely an arcade mode that comes and goes like the rest of the arcade modes) might work in the interim as an alternate to quick play while they work on releasing more supports and tanks. But just slapping down role queue and enforced 2/2/2? Not happening any time soon.

Like, not this year, and not next year. IMO the game needs, at a minimum, 6 more supports and 6 more tanks. I think they’re going to have to take a hard look at their hero release schedule and try to speed things up or role queue is never going to come.

Can you prove that they wouldn’t? OW already sees a dip in player base every time a new shooter comes out to compete with it. Just see how many streamers who made it big through overwatch have moved on to fortnight and apex.

No, he said 20-25 minutes in addition to what they were already seeing. And some people in high GM have been seeing 16-20 minute queues during off-peak hours for a long time.

That is why I like matchQ over roleQ. It achieves most of the same goals as roleQ but doesn’t have the DPS queue time issue.

MatchQ - you still select role, and it tries to make 2-2-2 matches, but… If the DPS queue gets too long, it will start throwing out 3-2-1 and 3-1-2 matches (depending on which other queue is shortest) and does it for both teams.

If you are running 3-2-1 then the other team will be doing the same.

Still can use role Sr for matchmaking.

Still gets teams vs teams which are balanced in roles.

Doesn’t blow out dps wait times.

Pretty sure he also said it would wreck dps queue times by a lot.

I like the idea of a minimum team comp requirement for spawning and changing roles. I’m not totally against the idea of a role queue, but I like to flex and I don’t like the idea of getting screwed out of ever getting to play DPS ever again just because I picked something other than DPS in addition to DPS.

If the minimum you could spawn or change into was some variation of 1/1/1, maybe with some additional requirements like an additional tank or support minimum, just let individual teams figure things out.

When we get enough heroes in the roster that there are as many different tanks and supports as there are dps (like 15/15/15. not 8/15/7) we can start talking about enforced 2/2/2. Of course, by that point we also might not have to.

It’s really hard to decipher whether they’re working on it or not from the recent interview where he talks about role queue.

Jeff: “It took over two years to write the matchmaker, and if we want to pursue a role queue it will take months and months to implement a role queue, and we have people working on this now.”

He says if they want to pursue a role queue, then he says they have people working on it. Could be a poor choice of words, but who knows.

And not only would they need to create a role queue matchmaker system, but they would need to rebalance the game around 2-2-2 firmly. Some tanks would need some buffs for example, otherwise the queue times would be high, especially for DPS queue. Since a lot of people hate playing tanks right now.

Ideally I’d like to see a role queue system with the ability to swap roles in game if needed.

^^^^^^^^^^

I’m officially uninstalling when this happens. I can tolerate trash balance, but not role restriction.

The cons list is far longer, and the pros list are all baseless dreams, the same dreams people though about LFG, and if Blizzard cant even get that right, there is zero chance they’ll get role queue to work.

Role queue is not going to get the gold player out of gold, because they’re there have have been there for 3 years because they are gold players. Pretending like you’re a better tank/support than gold is what’s feeding the dream of role queue. And in reality, they aren’t all that good.

When/if it gets added, I’m giving up on this game.

1 Like

Looks like I’ve gotta learn how to Reddit Lucio when I start off healing and have no option to switch heroes or roles…

I could always switch to Moira, I guess, if I’m stuck after picking the Support role. Any1 got some good DPS Moira guides?

LMAO

I like flexing as well, but any matchmaker which uses role Sr puts an end to that.

Which IS bad.

I may make a thread on “how to build a matchmaker” with code :slight_smile:

So people can see what a minimal matchmaker looks like.

Jeff has also stated that they want to actively improve matchmaking with finer grained SR calculations and more control. The idea of being able to tell the matchmaker that you want to play support now, and getting matched as your support SR would reduce the need for smurf/alt accounts.

Similarly, letting people tailor their own rosters to block out characters for specific reasons would completely eliminate the need for smurf and alternate practice accounts as if you wanted to practice a hero you weren’t as good with, you could just block out the heroes you are good with and get matched at a much lower SR through either a simple recalculation of your SR or a series of placement matches under the altered roster.

I’m in favor of a personal roster more than I am a role queue. Implement the role queue in the background so that people can’t see it and don’t have anything to take advantage of.

A balance of Role Queue and Role Framework of

1-2 Tank
2 Support
2-3 DPS

should be pretty ideal, imo.

There NEEDS to be more restriction than we have right now, but nothing will ever be perfect.

why would role SR be good?

tYpInG LiKe ThIs MaKeS YoU LoOk LiKe YoU’rE LoSiNg An ArGuMeNt.
it is a big dea. 20 minutes is a big deal.

2 Likes

Because I was a Masters level Support/Tank, and not even close to that level as a DPS. If I want to queue for DPS, then I should be placed at an appropriate rank to not hurt my teams chances of winning.

1 Like

role sr would be fenomenal.
It would me me want to improve and play all 3 roles.
Because now i can play those roles in comp without fear of throwing.

I dont think role queue will magically solve every problem, but i think it’d make things easier to balance.

The only con i can think of is reduced comp creativity, but people said that as well when they removed hero stacking.

Wasting 20 mins in an unwinable game with 4 dps is worse

1 Like

Queing up with Genjis only is far worse… You know what is even worse, nothing you can do to make him switch.

Its role queue locked :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes