Why are Winston’s attaches so bad?

Winston statistics are horrible he can’t kill any tank 40 DMG per swing with his alt and you knock them back but his jumps go farther then his knock backspace you must run up to them but they run away even if you trap someone against a wall 40 DMG per swing per sec most people MOST people will stay alive they shoot you with a much higher attack per sec all tanks can kill a lot faster his shield only protecs for 600 DMG if you jump in and face 2 people you mostMOST Likly will die think if 2 ppl at 200 health and jump 45 DMG then 30 DMG PER SEC a reaper can win vs a Winston alone and how long can 2 ppl kill a Winston faster then a Winston can kill even 1 person can easily kill you most squishys Junkrat hanz kenG mai ect yes I get kills but never as a tank you have to wait till your team does DMG then you jump in and get kills that is not a tank and if you aim at anyone’s face no extra DMG. The only way a Winston can do DMG is to let your team weaknes every one 1st or have a mercy focus on you and I do mean you can’t protect everyone with a Winston or jump in do some DMG then your health goes down faster then the enemy’s so I walk back form my shield and hope you can jump out before you die the game was balanced a lot more when it 1st came out look up overwatch character statistics and you will find out everything I said is true. Why is Winston A not a real tank or B so nerfed I understand in owerwatch league they had a Winston at most times but he can only be great if you have a team can’t by himself like with widow and Hanz so he can find the best way to attack and if he has a mercy with him only like you jump in attack and as soon as you jump out jump in to where your team is so they then can be healed then jump out and do it again Winston by him self if horrible but with a team he then can only be good or if your enemy team is little kids I want a GM to see this and do something players go ahead and answer me but it won’t matter he need a buff even a tiny buff would do so much no one in quick play choose a Winston unless they have a good mercy on you at most times I only need a GM or a GD to do anything about it I think every character should be balanced to where they can fight on there own you can’t even knock back a bastion when he is in turret please make him a tiny bit better or don’t have him be a tank I can go on about why he is bad but I think I proved my point he can only be great with a team that knows how to help buff him please or buff him a tiny bit or I buff most other characters except a tracer and maybe 1 or two others

Winston’s a good boy and I’ve gotten gold damage with him on multiple occasions

10 Likes

Only with a team that knows how to protect you go to Ow character stats 30 dmg per sec ult 40 per swing

Could you try formatting your post? I am not trying to be mean, I just genuinely cannot understand most of what you are trying to say.

9 Likes

This was very difficult to read to be completely honest with you.

However, Winston is fine my man, as it seems like you are having issue with his ultimate. Winston’s Ultimate is used for disruption my friend, not to get kills.

4 Likes

Not really had a brain tumor took out 15% of brain tissue and I have a Major Nero cognitive disorder which is like dementia I have the right words in my head but can’t transfer to a paper look 30 dmg per sec with his cannon I’m somewhat smart i am learning thai 44 consonants 34 vowels and 6 tone markers Ma in thai can mean 6 different words depending on the tone it’s under the top 8 hardest languages สวัสดีเพื่อน

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear that, but good for you on learning Thai! Learning a second language is so tough. I really struggled with my Japanese lessons back in college.

Would you mind terribly if I took another try at understanding and formatted it for you? I just want you to be understood, but feel free to tell me to bugger off.

No if you can get what I’m trying to say more understandable please do

Okay. I will try my best. I will reply again in a few.

Hmm. If I’m understanding correctly, you’re questioning why Winston’s damage is low? And also why his barrier is 600 hp? If I have this correct, then here is my explanation:

The reasoning behind this is that Winston’s role is to jump into the enemy’s backlines (usually at their supports) and harass them for a bit, causing the enemy frontline to turn around and focus Winton. Then Winston jumps back out. It’s why his bubble has low health and a long cooldown since it’s pretty much a personal barrier rather than your traditional shield like Reinhardt or Orisa.

Winston’s ultimate is quite useful to use if you have low health, since you’ll instantly gain 1000HP. It’s usage is not damage, but rather to draw enemy fire to you and disrupt the enemy. Very useful for holding a point.

As for other Winston stuff, he’s very good in Dive Comp (Winton, D.Va, Tracer, etc.) The problem for him is that Dive hasn’t been meta for a bit now. Another problem is that he is very reliant on his team to follow through with him and in Quick Play, you don’t usually get a whole lot of that.

So to recap, Winston is a low damage harassing tank. He cannot tank like a Reinhardt or Orisa, but he does have great mobility and is useful in disrupting the enemy. He is very reliant on his team to get anything done since he doesn’t have high damage, but in the right comp, he can do a lot. The recent meta with Brigitte put him in a bad spot.

My tip is to jump directly on someone since it will do 50 damage instantly. You can also melee to maintain Winston’s damage without using all your ammo. And like you mentioned, Winston will die if two people focus him. But with careful management of his shield and jump. he can be very useful in other ways.

1 Like

Winston has reduced dps with is ultimate, because he gets a 2 second cooldown jump pack while doing it, which can deal a lot of damage if used correctly. Not to mention the instant health refill and 1000 TOTAL HEALTH

Winston’s statistics are horrible. He can’t kill any of the other tanks. He only does 40 DMG per swing with his ult. You knock them back, but his jumps go further than his knockback space. So, you must run up to them, but they can just run away. Even if you trap someone against a wall, 40 DMG per swing per sec, MOST people will stay alive. They will also attack you with a much higher attack per second. All of the other tanks can kill a lot faster.

His shield only has 600 HP, if you jump in and face 2 people, you MOST LIKELY will die. Think about it, if 2 people are at 200 health, he jumps (45 DMG) and then does only 30 damage per second. A Reaper can win against Winston alone. And 2 people can kill a Winston faster than Winston can kill even 1 person. Most squishies can kill easily you by themselves, Junkrat, Hanzo, Mei, (kenG?), etc.

Yes, I get kills. But never as a tank. You have to wait until your team does damage, and then you can jump in and get kills. That is not a tank. He doesn’t get head shot damage even if you aim at their face.

The only way a Winston can do damage is to let your team weaken everyone first, or a have a Mercy pocket you. You can’t protect everyone with a Winston or jump in and do some damage. Your health goes down faster than the enemy’s health. So you have to walk back to you shield and hope you can jump out before you die.

The game was balanced a lot more when it first came out. Look up Overwatch character statistics, and you will find out everything I said is true.

So why is Winston A) not a real tank or B) so nerfed? I understand in Overwatch League they played Winston most of the time. But he can only be great if you have a team, he can’t be good by himself. For example, when he needs to attack Widow and Hanzo. So he looks for the best way to attack, and if he has a Mercy with him. You jump in and attack, and as soon as you jump out, you have to jump back in to where your team is so Mercy can heal them. Then you have to jump out and do it again. That’s because Winston by himself is horrible, only with a team can he be good. Or if your enemy team is little kids.

I want a game master to see this and do something. Players go ahead and answer me, but it won’t matter. He needs a buff, even a tiny buff would do so much. No one in quick play chooses Winston unless they have a good pocket Mercy. I only need a game master or game developer to do anything about this.

I think every character should be balanced to where they can fight on their own. You can’t even knock back a Bastion when he is in turret form. Please make him a tiny bit better, or don’t have him be a tank. I could go on and on about why he is bad, but I think I proved my point. He can only be great with a team that knows how to help him. Buff him, please! Even a tiny bit. Or buff most other characters except Tracer and maybe 1 or two others.

Is this what you were trying to say? I hope I did a good job. One thing I didn’t know how to format or edit was who was kenG? My grammar isn’t the best, but I hope I got this right. Please let me know if something was wrong and I will edit this post.

Yeah Winston has crap DPS in primal. It would be pretty ridiculous if you could 1v6 the enemy team and fly at the same time.

This.

I literally saw the wall of texted and noped away. Was going to leave a comment saying why. You beat me to it.

Winston’s fine, sometimes he works, sometimes he doesn’t.

I formatted it for him, if you look at my post where I quote a long wall of text. No need to belabor that point. :wink:

1 Like

I understand your concerns, and even though I am not GM I understand Winston enough to help you out.

He is not meant to be a 1v6 hero. But you can make him work against multiple opponents if you have good support. But even if you don’t, you should be able to on average take out 2, sometimes 3 squishies if you play his engagement correctly from start to finish.

That engagement involves:

• Assessing where you are going to jump in order to get the most safety for yourself and the most damage toward the enemy (or enemies) you are trying to target. This decision must be made quickly, and the more times you trial and error this step, the faster and more successful you will initially engage.

• Being accurate with your jump so that when you land you are dealing maximum damage. Shoot with LMB when you are within firing range and dealing a melee strike as you land. All in all that can be around 100hp by the time you’ve landed on your opponent, which should make it much easier to finish him off.

• Remember the point about getting into position where you are as protected as you want the opponent(s) to be vulnerable? Bubble shield placement and navigation around it are going to help achieve both these goals.

• Knowing when you need to jump out. There’s a small window to do this and jump into the safety of your team, and it’s usually, but not always, within a second of your shield breaking. If you’ve already taken out their healer, and you just have an additional squishie enemy, you may be able to hang around until they are dead too.

In regards to his Ultimate Ability it’s quite powerful, and if you think about it there usually aren’t THAT many open spaces around any given spot so you’ll be able to find some kind of surface to repeatedly hit them against. You just need to have good control over his leap too so you jump only as far as you need to, and save precious time toward killing low-health targets OR punishing targets against the wall. You can potentially have VERY good control over how you juggle your opponents.

I wanted to show you a specific highlight but I can’t find it currently, so here’s a montage of my Winston that contains that and other examples of how you can play around with his Primal Rage.

And a more recent clip:

I have a lot I can share with you, but I think that should suffice for now. I would love to help out more if you’re interested.

Lastly, Winston’s tesla cannon does 60dps, not 30dps. That means it takes exactly 5 seconds to take down a 300hp opponent, thus reiterating the importance of getting the full damage upon landing on them.

his ult is a mechanics based ult. you think its bad because you are bad with it.

what you are supposed to do is use the jump while on top of them to get the damage from launching and landing on them and use your swings inbetween.

it also cleaves and hits multiple people (the jump) if you are good with it you can get kills like you would get kills with a genji ult.

the only holdback it has is you need to have people in a room to get its full potential.

Pretty much but to jump in and try to kill the healers is quite hard because then all of there team kills him real fast for me to get 13-24 kills i am a flank tank jump in after our team does DMG I will say I’m a good team player if we need to deliver something point a b and c they all form at 1 spot to try to not let us past the first point I sneak around jump to the objective spot the other team realizes then they break off letting our team move to the objective point easier because I broke the enemy team up he needs a healer and or a power buff to act like a tank

1 Like

He isn’t a ‘tank buster’. He was specifically designed to focus the squishy characters that are easy to kill.

1 Like