Why are these settings default

I’ll put a TLDR under the long paragraphs if you can’t stomach my incessant whining. No promises that they’ll be any more brief though.

[CONSOLE]

AIM SMOOTHING

A genius idea that came in around early 2018, it’s supposed to improve aim assist.
The ONLY reason i was ever able to find the cause of this, is after failing to fix the fault with my PC yet again, i caved and impulse bought a cheap XIM off amazon, i just wanted to play my favourite game like I was used to.
While setting it up and tinkering with settings I stumbled upon the devil himself; aim smoothing which after a quick google search gave me an intense EUREKA! moment followed by a deep bubbling anger and an pure amazement at the incompetency i was witnessesing.

Information on all these settings is not found in game and the best i could do was dig up old patch notes and user comments.
An excerpt from the old blizzard forums by user ‘WaaaitWhut’ :
"Smoothing means your inputs will not be relfected in the game exactly, instead it will wait a tiny amount of time during every movement and what appens in the game is an approximation of what the system ‘thinks’ you want to do’
IN ENGLISH: Game waits before registering inputs in case you accidentally moved your stick the wrong way.

Whats the problem here?
Input delay. Input delay.Input delay.
Holy cow I nearly went mad trying to fix my OW input delay the past few weeks. I came back to console overwatch due to pc maintenance and quickly found i could not aim for jack.

After gruelling over my pc for 3 days straight to no avail, I was in no mood for diagnostics on console and was in denial, i put it down to me being rusty/ being spoiled with a 144hz monitor w mouse and keyboard.
It took several games for me to accept that something was wrong and the game was not the way it was when i left.

• I rebuilt my ps4 database
  • reinstalled the game
  • forced my controller input to run exclusively over usb and not bluetooth
  • bought new usb cables
  • turned aim assist on and off, desperately looking for a solution

in the end i gave up.
My peak season high on console (before pc) was 3449 playing dps.
After 3 days of flexing on console with terrible input delay i placed 2800 and dropped to 2200. By 2400 I was tilted to heck and decided i was a sym main, win or lose, at 2200 i uninstalled.

tldr (but not really) :

• aim assist ease in is an option that gives your massive input delay in exchange for a hypothetical boost to aim assist. Who thought this was a good idea? Fixing a non-problem by adding worse problem? The logic is honestly astounding.
  • This option is default option.
    any new players joining the game will assume that this is just how overwatch plays, with ridiculous input delay that is VERY noticeable as it doesn’t exist in other shooters, good luck being a new player and somehow figuring that out from the mess of a million different non-descript features sliders with ABOSLUTELY NO DESCRIPTION to even give you the SLIGHTEST INKLING of what the feature does.
  • Would new players continue to play OW with all its framerate, pop in, loading issues alongside a CRIMINAL input delay? Probably not, you are killing your own playerbase with a neglectful, dismissive, mismanaged approach to console that to use honest words - shows a lack of understanding of that playerbase and their own gameplay experience - no one who cares enough is testing this stuff before putting it out and making it the standard.

I promise i’m not bitter. :no_mouth:

ALLIED HEALTH BARS

Imagine the amount of times a zarya might have bubbled you, a mei walled off your sightline, a tank/ off tank could have mitigated damage specifically to save you IF allied health bars was on by default.

Theres very little reason to have this off, it’s something that makes new players even worse at the game, not even knowing it’s possible to see friendly health status while not being a healer. Get rid of the option and make it default, if its too much clutter on the UI for people, too bad, it’s game changing information that you NEED to be a good teammate.

SUBTITLES

A no brainer, minimalist subtitles aren't obtrusive and are helfpful, so much much so that you could argue its an unfair advantage to have this turned on when against a new player who will most likely have no idea this feature exists. If they want it off, they will find the option and turn it off
2 Likes

while we’re at it can the PC version stop hemmoraging optimization?
i was able to run epic for the longest time but now i need to keep turning down settings to keep my framerate steady, when more consuming games like R6 will stay fine

I remember when i first came to PC in june of 2017 I was running the game on a hybrid of ultra/epic at 200-250 fps with an LGA1150 setup.

I’ve since upgraded from:
i5 4460 -> i5 8400
4gb 1600mhz ram -> 16GB 3000mhz ram
970-> RTX 2060

I managed to brick my PC putting in a new cpu cooler and case the night after i installed my 2060 BUT for the one night i got my RTX 2060 working i was still getting 200-260 fps.

With my 970 that i have a lot more experience with i was getting frequent frame drops and a anywhere between 110-230 fps, varying between patches with one patch in particular that cause black screens and full on 1-3 second pauses, I was averaging at about 155 fps.
And this is with EVERYTHING LOW with only textures and model detail on EPIC as opposed to everything either EPIC or Ultra on an outdated setup.

I don’t know what they did these last two years but it aint’ good.

1 Like

its less optimized than Team defense fort 2
It also runs less steady than werfream and that’s on switch! (specifically the open world content takes a bit to run for me)

Have you experienced any of the stuttering from the latest summer games patch yet?
Blizzard have confirmed they’re aware of it.

It’s platform wide so im experiencing this on PS4 too.
I’m having awful flashbacks to october- december 2018, hours spent troubleshooting, googling, reinstalling windows, updating drivers… ugh