Why are people saying 1-3-2

So I know that is new role queue but why now is it starting to blow up?

Long DPS queue times

2 Likes

Jeff post from yesterday

2 Likes

Because Jeff said they’re experimenting with it internally. People seem to be taking that to mean “it’s happening”.

3 Likes

Oh, ok. I wonder how it would do. They should put it as a LTM in the arcade to see how we like it.

1 Like

It should go Arcade first definitely, as experiment but at the same time, it might yield slow results and data they need to see if its actually what players want without it going to QP/Rank.

At the same time, it can be tested for PvE for OW2.

2 Likes

Devs are experimenting with tanks having to relearn their entire role (and possibly heroes) so, dps can have shorter queue times.

1 Like

Relearn? Most of these tank players never learned the role to begin with. That’s why so many of them play tanks as off-dps

1 Like

PvP Queue times it’s a lot like going out to eat.

QP, Everyone shows up at the 24hr diner in your local town, you tolerate the person next to you, you can go alone or with a friend, and even alone you can mind your business no one bothers you, you don’t care what they choose to eat, you just want to eat good meal that you always enjoy, and go on about your day.

Competitive, You come home, after long day, you’re hungry for some delicious fresh cooked food at a Sports Bar/Restaurant, you don’t want to cook it yourself, so you decide to take a friend with you to a nice Sports Bar/Restaurant, so you can reserve a bigger table, sometimes for faster service during busy hours, sometimes its fast, sometimes its slow, you just know for sure you will get the delicious meal you and others around you waited for all day, you all have similar taste and know what you want. Yet, sometimes the Chef [Matchmaking] is overwhelmed by Orders they need some times to prep to make sure everyone has premium quality food they deserve.

Arcade, It’s Block Party with all sorts of free drinks, Family Cooked Meals, you can do what ever you want, as long as you don’t bother anyone.

Custom Games/Workshop, You decided to Cook your own meal, or order take out, you know exactly what you want you don’t need a friend, you have all the ingredients or cash already, and you could decide to share with anyone who shows up. Sometimes this can fall under Scrim, Where you and family of friends decide to have a Cookout, and see who’s the best or test ideas for professional cooking competitions, even compare and talk about it to eachother.

When it comes to DPS Queue Times for Competitive and QP, they decide to go alone to the Diner/Sports Bar, but there are limited Seats by the Bar, they didn’t want to take a friend to get the table, they just want to hang out and watch the game with everyone else, but it’s busy day.

To them, the Solution is more seats at the Bar, but in there is simply not enough room to cater to them and those who reserved seats, came with friends and family. They want fast food, but getting food faster is only available in with “While you wait” that gives you access to Appetizers, & all you can eat buffet.

To me, if there is no seats at the bar, and if they really just want a great quality food, you could offer seat to one of the tables you would assume, but these tables might require you to move [ play specific role ] when it’s getting full, but at the moment there is no flex role available for them, so in order for them to get the quality food they so specifically desire, the attendant ask them to wait a bit on busy day, until seat at the bar opens. If they decide to take the Table, then you have a problem of them not moving when the asked to.

Granted, these DPS mains could also do Scrims, get high quality matches for Tournament preparations, but requires some effort and knowing the right people and understanding how to go about the recipe.

These Options for you DPS mains, are there already if you look hard enough, but no one wants to cook, and expect the Chef to make the meals for them everyday.

I think one of the draw backs of seats at a bar, lets say someone reserved 12 seats, and one of them decide to go home early due to any reason, now that seat is still taken until the party leaves. Those seats easily can be filled, but they party refuses to let them sit. In QP the seats are filled no matter if reserved or not, gotta fill them seats.

Correct that to “experimented”. They tried it, and they felt it didn’t work. People need to keep that in mind. As a tank player it’s starting to give me anxiety.

2 Likes

This same distinction can be made across all roles. Doesn’t change the fact that if 1-3-2 would go through, tanks would have to relearn their heroes. Possibly from scratch.

2 Likes

It can’t be made for all the roles. Dps know what their role does more consistently then both supports and tanks. and still no tanks wouldnt have to relearn their role. Their job is to create space and protect, that doesnt change

1 Like

That’s an over simplification of what tanks do. Besides your forgetting to mention the interactions between main and off tank will completely disappear. Main tanks create space and lead the charge. Off tanks peel and protect their teammates while remaining an offensive threat. So, who peels for the back line if the main tank is leading the charge. Blizzard would have to make tanks Swiss Army knives in order to fill both of these jobs.

2 Likes

There’s other roles you realize? Yea off tanks would disappear and then other players would pick up the slack. I’m not forgetting to mention the interaction between off tanks and main tanks the fact is I want that gone. There’s characters like Mei and Sombra who would excel at those roles specifically.

1 Like

Neither of those heroes have nearly enough health to fulfill the role of an off tank. Neither do they work well with all the current main tanks. Sombra nor Mei have the mobility to keep up with Winston. Sombra and Mei don’t have the proper defensive capabilities to save the back line quickly. Not like Zarya bubble or defense matrix anyway. The more people talk about this, the more it becomes clear that Blizzard would need to completely overhaul all heroes to make this work. Blizzard should just continue to balance 2-2-2 and find another solution elsewhere.

1 Like

DPS mains can always participate in Scrims, or join a Team for Discord Tournaments where they can practice High Level Competitive at any time, it should quench their thirst and help, but it’s takes a bit effort for that.

You can’t expect matchmaking to give you the highest quality matches all the time, you have to seek local/teams through discord if need be or even consider using LFG.

Which would just get longer due to three times the number of people queueing as DPS plus people never queueing to be the one tank.

Jeff said he wanted to get it out to players in the live game or on PTR so it probably is happening. He wouldn’t have posted unless they were seriously considering it, it’s likely to happen.

1 Like

You said Off tanks peel and protect their teammates while remaining an offensive threat. That’s exactly what Mei and Sombra do. Sombra is an off healer and off tank but most players now wouldn’t know that because she’s in the dps slot so they expect her to just pump out damage. You don’t need a lot of health to fill those roles you can manage just as well with health management. OW wouldn’t need a complete overhaul I think tanks would need a significant buff and healers could get a little buff and tank killer dps would get a nerf or stay the same based on the tank buffs. Also Sombra does have more than enough mobility to keep up with a Winston, that’s meaningless info but I thought I’d lyk.

The only thing that didn’t really work was 1 support. He’s asking for people to weigh their opinion. You need to re-read the post.