Why are likes limited?

Why can’t we like as many posts as we want? It just seems so counter-intuitive.

8 Likes

The trust system is partially based on how many likes you give, so to avoid situations where people are giving out likes to every post they see just to raise their trust level, they limit your number of likes. I think you get more likes to give out the higher up the trust system you go, but I wouldn’t know, I’ve never reached the like cap – for good reason, of course.

7 Likes

I thought I replied to my own post but forgot it for a second there.

Anyway, I forgot that likes are involved in the trust system. That makes sense, I guess. It’s still annoying, though.

The whole trust system in the first place is pretty stupid. They should regulate what people are posting instead of preventing people who don’t post tonnes of posts daily and get tonnes of likes from posting links and images.

I mostly agree, I don’t think it was wise to make a trust system based on forum likes. It’s proven to give particular subsets of people more empowerment, at least as much empowerment as posting unfunny reaction images is. But I do understand the moderators’ position, this is a popular forum that’s active 24/7 with tons of heated conversations, it would be really difficult to monitor the place when everyone has so much freedom. Not the best solution, but a solution.

1 Like

Because it’s easy to turn this into Facebook and people simply “like” something for the hell of it

Kind of like the avoid player feature used to be, where you could avoid anyone for any reason “just because”

where do i even check my trust level? when do i even reach level 2 cuz i’ve been in the forums for quite a while i believe aha

You can check your trust level on this website:
http://red-rose.com/forum-trust-level
(I can’t link to it due to having a trust level of 1. You have to copy–paste it.)

Here’s a thread by @Xian396 all about the requirements of reaching a higher trust level.

1 Like

Next question: What good does a trust system do? You’re already in a team with the person and will see if they’re awful immediately. Is it so people can bail out at character select?

I think you’re confusing trust with endorsements.

Trust is the system that this forum uses. You can read about it here.

I believe you’re mistaking the forum trust system with the in-game endorsement system. The former is about giving forum users access to posting images and some other options, and the two don’t connect at all.

Oh. Then it’s just terror from the old forums, where they had a Reddit system and everyone was a screeching hate-goblin. That’s no mystery. They probably figure infinite like capacity will make overliking a toxic comment the new downvote.

I’m not talking about downvotes. Trust isn’t about up- and downvotes but rather the number of posts and likes you need to gain a higher trust level so that you can post links and images.

And you shouldn’t like a toxic post.

oh thank you so much for this!!! i really needed it <3 didnt know there was a website about it or even a post cx

Right, but I’m talking about why likes might be limited. So they aren’t used frivilrously. I think it’s stupid, anyway, but that’s my best guess at the logic behind it.

Because they hate positivity.

I don’t know, if that was true then level 3 shouldn’t have a like limit, you do get more likes but it’s not infinite.

Trust level works as an incentive for people to follow the CoC and be kind to one another. It’s not really that far-fetched. Also, you don’t need to post “tonnes daily” or get “tonnes of likes”.

1 Like

Restricting basic features to those who post a lot and get tonnes of likes isn’t the way to go. What if you got in-game loot boxes (or other in-game loot for other games when it comes to those games’ forums) for having higher trust levels too?

Even if you didn’t, simply giving you more likes (and maybe giving you borders around your avatar in the forums) would be enough.

That’s the impression that I am getting.

It’s more about the quality of your posts than quantity. And you don’t really need to post pictures in a discussion forum. Links can be added by using the </> button. There are a lot of forums that restrict certain users from posting links and pictures, and that ban embedded pictures altogether for various reasons.
Again, following the forum rules (which a lot of users with 1000+ posts still manage to break) is the most important thing. Always has been, and always will be.

I personally think it works great in that it is something that is earned and therefore becomes more “valuable” in a sense, so that you want to make sure you don’t lose it once you get it. It is also a way to make suspended users try and earn that trust level back again and not instantly going back to their former rule-breaking behavior as soon as the suspension is lifted. :slightly_smiling_face:

EDIT: just realized the OP was about not being able give unlimited number of likes. And to that I say, it’s probably because the number which represents likes is something important and should not be manipulated by like-spam.