Why am I punished when my ISP f*cks up?

Hi people.

Yesterday, I was playing comp trying to climb up the ladder. I had a very good team which one can only be thankful for on solo queue and we had a good first round, a bad one afterwards and a good third round on Dorado. When we passed CP 2, I got disconnected from my DSL. I tried to rejoin the match as quickly as I could, but all my stats were reset, and although we eventuelly won the map, I got minus ~40 SR and my account was suspended.

Seriously, I understand that Blizzard wants and needs to punish people who leave games on purpose and never come back, but if people have a bad connection and rejoin the match asap, it should be up to the vote of your team mates or so, together with the final result of the match, if you get penalties or not.

:confused:

BR
fx

Blizzard can’t tell if you left on purpose or was disconnected for some other reason.

Sucks but that’s how it goes.

10 Likes

It would be abusable if you didn’t get punished for that.
You’re losing a game?
Unplug your internet and bam, no punishment.

5 Likes

I think the point is he came back to continue the match and they won.

That is a lot different then just leaving the match never to be seen again.

6 Likes

Why are you playing comp on an ISP that isn’t reliable?

1 Like

yaknow some ISP’s can just have sudden issues? like there would ever be an ISP on the market that says “with us youll never have a disconnect” just cant happen everything messes up sometimes.

But on the subject of the OP i do think that if you join back and you win then you shouldnt be punished because youve obvious come back and youre still trying.

However if you lose blizzard cant tell what the reason you left for, unless you actually click the leave button, so you should get punished for this.

2 Likes

If issues are rare enough 1 DC isn’t going to do anything.

2 Likes

thats 50 points and a 10 minute ban for winning a game

2 Likes

I totally understand that Blizzard has to punish people who leave a game because they’re tilted and whatever, but they should make a difference between people who leave a game and so leave their mates on their own who finally end up losing and people who rejoin the game, try to carry on and finally win. That’s not fair.

3 Likes

Sure, if you lose it’s fair to take the full punishment for practically throwing the game by dc’ing partway through, but if you reconnect and end up winning, I don’t really see why you need to be punished so severely. Not only did you come back, but you made up for it as well.

Like, I’d understand getting the ban still (so it’d encourage players to make sure their internet is stable over that 10 minutes) but losing 50 SR is too much.

3 Likes

It can be abused that way. If Blizzard makee a distinction between leavers on purpose and disconnecters, then leavers would leave the game by unplugging their ethernet cable or turning off their router.

Remind me of Street Fighter 5 when it was released
Scrub DC every time they lose before the “YOU LOSE” popped out

1 Like

Unfortunately all disconnections and game crashes counts as leaving the match and will be penalized appropriately. The game server has no way to discern a legitimate disconnection or game crash from one that is forcefully caused by a dishonest player to bypass leaver penalties. You can learn about this policy here:

Remember if you see the message, “Lost Connection to the Server” in the title screen or the message “Failed to Connect to Server” in yellow text in the text chat box, this means there is something that disrupted your connection to the game server and not a problem with the game server itself. There can be a variety of reasons this happens including those that don’t disconnect your computer from the Internet. There is great troubleshooting to start with that can most likely resolve most issues and I encourage you to check them out here:

As always if nothing in that guide works, please start a new post in the tech support forum saying you completed these steps and additional advice can be provided. Good luck!

(^^)v

Idk maybe because the team your playing with is now continuing the match man down?

Usually that causes your own team to lose maybe and you should share in the loss because the loss is normally a direct cause of your leaving?

Idk im not a doctor.

1 Like

I have had 2 DC’s in the last year (6 months apart). This second one I had booted me to the menu without rejoin option and gave me a 50 SR penalty and 10 min suspension. So, yes, it does matter.

I know they won’t do anything, but cmon if you can rejoin right away you shouldn’t be punished unless it is repeatedly happening.

Even if your game bugs out and you get stuck on the loading screen, then get booted for inactivity, GM’s state that they will not give SR back under ANY circumstance.

I’ll play devil’s advocate here. What if someone purposely disconnects after trolling the team, then the team pulls off some miracle 5v6 win and they reconnect towards the end of the game.

Your teammates knowing you trolled and were being toxic know that you gained SR from their amazing play while you sat there doing nothing.

I’m not saying the penalties are correct or wrong, just that it’s easy to isolate a scenario and make a case for it.

Something that could help limit it is put it on a timer, so that if you don’t reconnect fast enough you still get the full loss (this way you can’t just dodge the majority of the game and come back at the last second to claim the SR).

But either way, yea, there always is an edge case that could potentially be abused. But there is always a line between what’s possible and what’s realistically going to happen. If we were to limit decisions by pure hypothetical possibilities, then there are a lot of problems that need to be fixed, even if they aren’t actually happening.

I completely agree–it’s a tough situation that doesn’t have a good clean answer. You’re kind of damned if you do and damned if you don’t it seems. What about if you reconnect and your team wins you don’t lose or gain any SR–for the disconnected person it’s almost like the match was cancelled. If you don’t reconnect, or if you reconnect and your team loses you receive the penalty and SR loss? That seems like a decent middle ground

That would sound good to me. Doesn’t punish the people who don’t cost the match, while still punishes those who do end up being the main source of the problem. Can’t really think of a lot of problems with that one.

Have to agree with OP that does suck. They should look at your history before suspending a player. If there is a history of it, where it happens regularly then yea suspend it. Blizzard can actually look at the game you were in as well, checking chat for any nasty banter by the user. If this is exactly what the OP described, it is BS, and anyone here would be PO’ed if it happened to them. Like I said if this happened exactly as the OP said it did, this is just lazy investigating.

1 Like