Who’s gonna be lead writer now?

I hope it’s somebody who can stay faithful to the original Overwatch lore created by Chu. I think Alyssa Wong would be a great choice given how well received “What you left behind” was.

I hope it’s not feminist who will praise only female characters,
I hope it’s not menist (is there name like that?) who will praise only male characters,
But person who will praise all characters, no matter who the characters are.
From what I remember right now, some characters like Zenyatta, Pharah, Symmetra etc. are very lacking lore now.

8 Likes

Yes, because women have a long history of being portrayed as superior to men in fiction…

I hope for a writer who can show anyone can be a hero (and villain) regardless of their gender, sexuality or race as much as you do, but we are not going to pretend like men are a marginalized demographic in fiction

9 Likes

We have the same opinion.
I want every character to be in the flash, do anything big.

2 Likes

i’m hoping it’ll be alyssa wong as well

1 Like

Somebody that will make Pharah’s inevitable early exit as painless as possible for her.

But yes let it be Alyssa Wong.

1 Like

I vote for Alyssa Wong to be the leading writer.

2 Likes

I want it to be her too but I know she’s busy writing for other IPs like Star Wars and Marvel, but who knows

3 Likes

Yeah I really doubt somebody writing for other IP’s would be made lead writer for OW, especially now that they’re supposedly working on an OW tv series. Hopefully Blizzard will give her a good offer as an incentive to drop the other IP’s and focus on OW.

3 Likes

Feminists don’t exclusively praise female characters. We have a tendency to create more women-driven stories, to a large extent because there’s millennia worth of missed opportunities to give women active and central roles, but there’s no exclusive focus on only females occupying the story. An equal chance to either positively or negatively effect change and have dynamic impact, for all genders, is the goal of any story with truly feminist overtones at heart. Overwatch is a strange and interesting game, because social and political attitudes towards gender, race, culture and sexuality are competing for story space with an AI sentience and dehumanization narrative that synthesizes elements from liberation groups for all four previous factors of human existence. Most of the focus on gender and ethnicity occurs from the outside-in, with the fans jumpstarting the conversations in lieu of many real story prompts that indicate how these topics affect Overwatch’s universe.

8 Likes

The position of lead writer was probably more just a title than anything else really though. theres always been a team behind the writing and i imagine even non story specific members like jeff have a say as well. Its not just going to be one person controlling the flow of it.

Also i doubt she would seeing as she hasnt been on the writing team for as long as others.

1 Like

I just pray it is someone who can bring us more interesting characters will great back stories and not Slap the Gay button everytime there is a controversy. Lets be honest. Straight, BI, I don’t care, How you joined overwatch what role you had in it interests me more than who they prefer in bed. But saying such a “scandalous” thing gets you more heat than the sun.

1 Like

Y’all are so annoying… the Ellie controversy in Contenders happened in like January of 2019; do you really think they designed a skin and wrote an Ana short story with one line where Jack mentions he had an ex boyfriend in the span of like a week just to cover up a fiasco that was completely unrelated to the lore and story part of the game? They’ve never implied any heroes to be straight except Torb, Ana, Widow Genji and Mercy, it’s the people who saw it as last-minute bait’s fault for assuming Soldier was straight :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Oh god, I hated that story.
But that’s just me.

Why did you hate it? I thought it’s been the best one by far.

I am not an expert in the field of franchise development, so correct me where I make mistakes, but…

Shouldn’t the lead be someone who is more involved with crafting and nurturing the whole universe rather than simply a string of stories or main campaign? I think that WYLB was the best of the short stories, but I think it would be better to see a different, Blizzard veteran to take over the universe, such as Matt Burns or Robert Brooks.

1 Like

I could write a loooong post about it from begining to end but I’m not in the mood so I’ll just say:

It was predictable. (these stories always end well for characters, nothing is ever at stake)
It was cheap to Baptiste (zero character development. He hates working for Talon and leaves. He gets threatened into working with them again ad hates it all the same. There are only 2 things explored in Baptiste - first that he is hot, and second that he’s a good guy who won’t do bad stuff and doesn’t do bad stuff, also boring)
The only interesting character in a perplexing situation that has to make difficult choices is Mauga and the story not being told from his point of view is a waste.

And these are only the things I hated on the surface.

But he does do “bad stuff” by helping his old Talon buddies out even though he swore he never would? Even though they threatened him, it showed that he never truly can escape his past and it weighs on him constantly. Idk I found that pretty interesting.

How? What does it make him do? How does it affect him? That’s whats interesting. That is story.

How is being a good guy having to do bad things interesting if it causes nothing interesting to happen?

-he saves the clinic-
Omg, what a plot twist not to mention how deep and engaging and completely far apart from a 15 minute low budged filler spiderman episode on a afternoon kids network.

But like I said, It’s not interesting to me.
Good for everyone else who finds this interesting and engaging.

1 Like

Well what did you want to happen? Mauga gets away and we know that won’t be the last time Baptiste will see him, probably.

I remember at a panel Alyssa Wong said she was asked to write the story with the goal of providing a link for Baptiste to possibly have a link to the “others” and meet up with Overwatch eventually, and we get it when it ends with him setting off to find Mercy. It was written for that purpose, to connect him to the “good guys.” Maybe it’s boring to you (it’s okay, I find a lot of the “good guys” boring) but it wasn’t supposed to end with Baptiste starting WW3 or something lol

1 Like