Which characters do you think will join Overwatch in Overwatch 2's story?

We know Tracer, Mei, Winston, Genji, Mercy, Brigitte, Reinhardt, Echo and Sojourn are confirmed.

Cutscenes and concept art show McCree, Pharah, Zarya, Zenyatta, Lucio, D.Va, Torbjorn, Bastion and Baptiste working with Overwatch so these characters could end up joining.

So who else do you think could end up joining? I’m thinking:

1.Symmetra. Her recent story (Stone by Stone) hints at her future and I think she’s going to play a big part in Overwatch 2’s story. I could see her finding out about the truth about Vishkar and end up joining Overwatch.

1. Hanzo and Wrecking ball. Jeff said recently these two probably won’t be playable in the story so they may only be featured quickly in cutscenes. But if Blizzard plans on releasing more story content post launch I could see these two taking focus if they’re not playable in the story. In the “Dragons” cinematic Genji tells Hanzo to “pick a side” which makes me thik we could get a redemption arc for Hanzo. And I think Hammond could join because now he’s left Junkertown what’s is there for him to do? Plus I’d love him to reunite with Winston.

2. Orisa. Maybe Overwatch helps Efi and Orisa in Numbani and Efi decides to let Orisa go with Overwatch? Efi did make Orisa to protect people and with Overwatch she’d be protecting the entire world.

3. Ana and Soldier 76. These two currently together so if they bump into Overwatch then maybe Overwatch will convince one or both to rejoin?

4. A Talon member. Okay so this is pretty unlikely but what if there’s a twist and a Talon member defects to Overwatch? If this happens I think it will be Sigma as he isn’t actually evil (he’s being used by Talon but doesn’t realise it).

5. At least one of the new playable heroes coming to Overwatch 2. I personally see the story focusing more on Overwatch 1’s cast but I could see one new character being asked to join Overwatch.

So that’s my predictions, who do you all think will join?

5 Likes

As well as Sigma I can imagine Sombra betraying Talon since she’s kinda just doing her own thing, if she does join Overwatch I doubt she’ll stick for long tho

2 Likes

That’s true, I forgot Sombra is using Talon (i’m pretty sure one of the writers said she doesn’t really agree with their goals) so yeah I could see her betraying them. Would Overwatch let her join though when she’s proven not to be very trustworthy though?

2 Likes

Would Overwatch really have a choice when the world is at stake?

1 Like

I think that Orisa has a solid shot at joining. Her primary target is Doomfist, but that’s Overwatch’s main target too.

Baptiste can fight Talon under the protection of Overwatch, and with a friend he knows he can count on (Mercy).

Bastion has been staying with Torbjörn for a while now and has upgraded its armor. Why would he do that if it wasn’t going to be fighting? I could see it being a recruit, or at least cooperating on a few missions.

Brigitte will likely join, as she follows Reinhardt everywhere he goes.

Pharah’s dream was always to join Overwatch, so I could see her joining their cause as well.

1 Like

Here’s how I see it:

Will join the main new Overwatch organization: Baptiste, Bastion, Brigitte, D.Va, Echo, Genji, Lucio, McCree, Mei, Mercy, Orisa, Pharah, Reinhardt, Sojourn, Symmetra, Torbjorn, Tracer, Winston

Will become affiliated with the new Overwatch, but not hold an ‘active membership:’ Ana, Sigma, Soldier: 76, Sombra, Zarya, Zenyatta

Will not have a faction that hold any allegiance to: Ashe, Hanzo, Junkrat, Roadhog, Wrecking Ball

Will join / remain in Talon: Doomfist, Moira, Reaper, Widowmaker, Sanjay

I think the above illustrates my view pretty well. The roster is dominated by good to moral good adjacent characters, so I feel most of them will either join the new Overwatch outright, or become ‘affiliated’ with them in some way.

I imagine Sigma won’t want to join outright, but may lend his aid once he’s ‘redeemed:’ at his core he is not a violent person, so I think he would loathe to do any more fighting other than to get revenge on Talon.

Sombra is only using Talon as a means to her end goals, and will be hesitant to join the new Overwatch outright. I imagine thanks to Baptiste she’ll ‘come around’ and lend aid to Overwatch whilst remaining ‘officially’ in Talon, or, she may outright leave Talon and go independent in her search for The Eye.

The non-faction affiliates likely won’t have enough of a major story presence to do anything, but of them…
I think Junkrat and Roadhog won’t join any faction out of their ‘moral principles.’ In the Going Legit comic, we see that they don’t really enjoy doing anything for ‘suits’ once they’ve been betrayed by one. I think they’d both consider Talon, especially the organizations’ higher-ups to be ‘suits.’

Ashe plays by her own playbook, and so I think won’t want to join any organization that could compromise that.

Hanzo and Wrecking Ball probably just won’t be in the story enough for them to join a faction. I also believe Hanzo’s story arc needs to have him be independent in order to find his own redemption, as a contrast to Genji (who found his ‘redemption’ / ‘self-acceptance’ in the Shambali and Overwatch).

Edit 3/2: Added Zenyatta under the ‘Overwatch-adjacent’ section.

4 Likes

Torbjorn was confirmed to be retired at home, and will not be joining new Overwatch. His involvement will probably be limited to 1-2 missions.

We can see Zarya in multiple storyboard images from the Behind the Scenes panel. It appears she will be an active member of the Overwatch team for several missions.

Lynx Seventeen may couple with Zarya on whatever missions she ends up on.

Bro, I would LOVE to see wrecking ball kicking a$$ with Winston in the story mode.

1 Like

My opinion

Wrecking ball is not going to be in ow2 story mode. We know the little guy is having fun in Junkertown.

Junkrat and Roadhog will just try to get revenge on the queen

Sombra will probably join baptiste. (Not overwatch, but Baptiste) just for her own plan.

Speaking of Baptiste… i can see him trying to convince Mauga in joining them.

1 Like

He left Junkertown at the end of his origin trailer. He’s roaming the world looking for adventure now.

2 Likes

Depends

We don’t know how many years it hs passed before he left junkertown

She’ll probably be a double argent and steal whatever overwatch is doing for Talon.