When did blizzard stop extending mutes for abusive chat and start giving perma bans?

For like 80% of the playerbase outside of the upper tiers, voice comm doesnt really make much of a difference in the long run.

It’s this. Kicking someone off permanently for banter words makes no sense. It doesn’t solve the issue any more than a mute does. In fact, it encourages players to circumvent rather than reflect and deal. And it makes them cash. It’s not social justice, it’s business.

The easiest fix is to add banter words into the filter levels. So t.t. like “diff” or “trash” get aliased to “Huzzah, best game, great developers!” similar to how ez works. In fact, ez is now a shortcut to positivity - but using that side-effect still gets you perma’d.

Except is not “Speech of any kind”, it’s abusive Chat, there is a difference. Their stance has always been “play nice, play fair.” since 1991. For example, where in “GG EZ” do you see that at all?

2 Likes

Except “abusive” is entirely subjective. “GG” is abusive to some people, and can get you perma’d. What kind of play nice play fair is that?

1 Like

And so is “Banter”, where you might see “playful fun” someone else sees an insult, or toxicity. There is Context in all things, if you Steamroll your opponent team in under 2 min on say Volskya, there was no Good game there, maybe for you, but not your opponent.

2 Likes

And where you see toxicity I see stupidity. Fix stupidity first. First you learn to use chat filter, parental controls, mute button, avoid button. Then you learn about sticks and stones. Then finally after all that, you learn about report button.

The people refusing to be internet-tough need more emotional and social help than the trashtalkers. They won’t make it far in this world. It’s them that should be taking a break from video games. T.T. and banter are in a whole different league than actual -isms and cyber-abuse.

Stop trying to clean things up with your subjective and highly sensitive interpretations of “toxic and abusive”.

Uh simple,npeople with itchy lawyers

1 Like

Abuse is subjective.

GG EZ doesn’t offend me in any manner. I don’t care what people type or say.

Must I link the armory for my original World of Warcraft character created in January of 2006?

Blizzard used to be much more free speech oriented, though as a private company they don’t have to, then they are now.

It was actually one of the main reason people I knew played Blizzard games.

But go ahead, retell history to suite what makes you feel better. Eyonix was the best Blizzard employee to ever exist. He wasn’t the best because he was so nice.

And you call others “snowflakes”? Actually hilarious.

1 Like

I think you missed all of the context. The ‘snowflakes’ report for “diff” and that report is frankly an abuse of the system.

My friend’s famous last words were: “what a gap”.
No overturning that one. We’re in the EPCOT centre!

Does it matter? You only receive punishment if you receive multiple reports from different people, not just one. Just disable your chat if you can’t control yourself.

2 Likes

Their context was the “I know you are but what am I” defense.

You would think that if Blizzard found it to be such an issue then, hide all comms would be right next to the join chat button. However, you can’t force people to buy more accounts if everyone hides all comms.

No one is forcing people to be an a** in the game.

6 Likes

The act of being an ___ is subjective. Get enough weak people to hit report and their only choice is buy another ticket to the show.

1 Like

Just because “gg ez” doesn’t offend you, doesn’t mean it doesn’t offend others. Yes Abusive chat is subjective, and all I can offer you is to think, before you say or type anything… “Is what I’m about to say, something someone might construed as Toxic or Abusive?”, if there’s the slightest chance, then you’re better off not saying it at all, and just save yourself the trouble.

1 Like

Why are they weak? They can control themselves. Oh poor you, you have to buy another account because you can’t be nice! How awful.

PS I haven’t received a single warning despite having over 2k hours in the game since release and regularly chatting. Maybe you are doing something wrong?

7 Likes

I don’t need to be offered anything. I am not claiming people can’t be offended. I am not claiming that people shouldn’t be able to report.

I am claiming that Blizzard absolutely loves the system they have in place because it generates a ton of revinue.

2 Likes

Source? I doubt it is that much. Probably an insignificant amount, considering that the vast majority of people can play without having the urge to insult or belittle or whatever.

4 Likes

The question answers itself. If you need me to explain it, then the shoe fits.

Not what I am talking about.

I don’t care what people say or do. I am just not so blind that I can’t see why Blizzard implemented the policies they have.

It’s more then zero, which is what it would be if Blizzard threw in their hat with free speech instead of censorship.