What's with all this standing around?

One thing that we could do is have it a bit like we had before and keep it on the loading screen until everyone has loaded… I think they had that as a bug before but if they did that and significantly reduced the assembly time I would be okay with that…I don’t remember it being too excessively long then… But as it is now it is far too excessive…

and yeah I would venture to say that an SSD is affordable for most people nowadays… let’s say that overwatch is €16, an SSD can be found for double of that price…And for those who well and truly can’t afford it, maybe they shouldn’t be playing overwatch if it poses such a significant problem… They have other more pressing priorities…. But the strange thing is I’ve played on integrated graphics for most of my gaming career, and I played on the hard disk drive for most of my overwatch career and I never experienced crazy long times…The longest load was the initial load of the game from launcher…

1 Like

Or how about we just leave it how it is because it’s fine.

That sounds like a fallacy… If something can be improved, there is no reason not to… The world was “fine” before we had computers…does that mean we shouldn’t have developed computers…it’s like just because some people can’t afford a computer for email, we make everyone use snail mail?

Making it shorter would not improve the game though

… so … rather than being allowed to futz around in spawn you just wanna stare at a loading screen?

It would do just that… how is it fun to stand around? As opposed to getting straight into the action…

rather than being allowed to futz around in spawn you just wanna stare at a loading screen?

Strange as it may sound… Yes… that waiting time for the loading screen was never that significant…even when it made you wait for everyone… We could just have that and cut down the assembly time to 5 to 10 seconds…

1 Like

I… have a feeling many many others would feel differently. The spawn rooms aren’t exactly exciting but they do have things to “play” with. Part of the fun of having a better computer and connection than others is getting a couple extra tries at making baskets or “singing” before everyone loads in.

Not really no… That gets old REAL fast…when I load up a game of overwatch, I want to shoot stuff, I want to kill stuff… If I wanted to sing I would play karaoke dancefloor… If I wanted to play basketball I would play actual basketball…

1 Like

I agree for koth maps, the long wait is really annoying and you have to deal with it 3 times, but every other map is so that the defenders can get in proper position and be ready.

would it be nice if they spawned in closer? yes, but a change like that for every map this late into the games life isn’t happening

There is literally no reason it couldn’t happen… They already make modifications to maps…

1 Like

For you I’m sure. However I also am content with just standing there shooting the wall… or… y’know… waiting. for a few seconds.

The thing being it’s strange to be OK with a loading screen but not OK if you have control of something.

As a Sym player, the current duration already pushes the time it takes for me to set up turrets and have one or two charges left.

I don’t want to see a timer reduction unless all cooldowns are reset when the attack begins

I never minded that as much as it was never longer for me than 10 seconds…

1 Like

While I wonder if that’s a perception problem and not a technical one… there have been significant additions to the game. We might already have some of the “new” things OW2 is bringing to the game in the client.

It would not make the game better. It’s a team based game, and it’s good idea to build a comp that works well together. You don’t do that by just picking a hero and going. On defence you often have to switch things around and that takes time. They already shortened every bit of assemble and set up time, and it is fine how it is.

Yes, it would make the game better… The faster you can get into the action the better… This is a nice quote from Jeff… It was in regard to hero pools but it applies here as well I think…

To your point about building the composition, I rarely see anyone do anything of value in that regard with the time… Usually it is something like demanding
a shield… most of the time people will play the heroes that they had planned to play or that they are good with on that particular map…and those that bend to the will of others I have little faith in anyway…

1 Like

They can only speed things up so much before it has a negative impact. You have to find a spot that allows time to pick and set up, while not being too long, and they’ve done that.

It is still far too long…it could absolutely be cut down without being detrimental to the experience… The setup phase could of course be shortened by reducing the distance the defenders have to walk to get to the first point…

1 Like

Shortening the distance would require a redesign of every map. It would also mean that new players would not be shown the route from the real defensive spawn to the point at the start of a game.

You just need to have some patience, it’s literally a few extra seconds.

It would not require re-design whatsoever… Make a teleport from spawn to first point that players can go through… OR significantly increase running speed by 3x until the match starts …stop making this more complicated than it needs to be…

It’s literally over one minute of waiting time each round…

1 Like