šŸ›” "What's going on?" - Every Reinhardt Main Ever

Hey big brain did you see they released some rein changes? I guess they WERE hard at work!

Ye they managed to make Rein unplayable.

There is a rein in every game Ive played today? Hmmm

There is a dva and an ana in every game Iā€™ve played today? So what?
What does that has to do with ANYTHING on the state of reinhardt and his bugs?
You make no sense.

2 Likes

I thought this was just me having some weird boop interactions. I had this happen several times yesterday. It seemed to happen more often on inclined surfaces and/or when some sort of displacement (boop) had occurred.

EDIT TO ADD:
Did a quick test on Numbani ramp and stairs where I saw the bug at least twice and was unable to reproduce the double-animation. However, I was alone in the map and unable to boop myself (lol). Iā€™m theorizing there may also be an issue with latency and ā€œfavor the shooterā€ interactions with Reinā€™s ult animation and execution. This theory coincides with a soldier visor that hit me after I had dashed behind a wall. Both my screen and the killcam showed me clearly behind cover but yet, I died. Might be a stretch but they may be related.

2 Likes

Rein Multi shatter is a known issue. It can occur on anything that juggles you (every explosion, whip shot, concsā€¦). While I find it quite irritating at times it is still better than shatter disappearing entirely like beforeā€¦

3 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s both horrible and hilarious. Youā€™ll shoot out like 3 Earthshatters once you land.

Ahhā€¦glorious.

Disclaimer: I just want a working kit, lol.

2 Likes

I have quite a bit more to add to this. Right now Real Life is taking priority, but here shortly I should be able to unload some observations over the last few days.

2 Likes

Look at this delay on the deployment of the shield after the new patch v1.28.01:
https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/overwatch/t/reinhardt-shield-deployment-and-melee-swing-have-a-massive-delay-after-v1-28-01-videos/210430

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty big difference. Thatā€™s enough time for a good Widowmaker to react.

Then again, what is that, like a .1 second difference?

From 0.25 to 0.5sec difference until it opens up, which is a huge delay.
Same thing is happening with melee swings.
You can actually feel it and I have a very hard time shielding in time stuff I see now.

1 Like

Reinhardt players,

I am very conflicted. Over the last week since the patch I have felt more dominant, and have had a greater impact on whether or not my team wins. The Earthshatter chage, though not always 100%, has been the largest turn around I have experienced. My personal statistics on Reinhardt have been altered very little. I still maintain the same per game stats for Blocked Damage, Fire Strike eliminations, Charge eliminations, and Earthshatter eliminations. What has changed is how afraid the enemy front line is while I play. After the first Earthshatter goes out and their team knows who they are up against I have a very easy time controlling the front line. My ability to make space has never been so easy. This would be the good.

Now for the bad. Earthshatterā€™s hit detection seems to be going the opposite direction. I hit a Mei behind her wall in my last Overwatch session. This is important because the last time Blizzard fixed something this well, Charge, it was reverted after about 1 week of time live. I have previously posted the patch notes for these Charge changes, but now they have somehow disappeared, or I am looking in the wrong place. I will keep looking after this post is completed and update accordingly.

Anyway, Blizzard changed Charge to do about 5 times the amount of server checks, if memory serves me, to see if Charge hit the target or missed, or simply bumped them away. This Charge was far and away the best Charge version we have ever had. I was personally connecting with about 33% more Charge pins per game. The opposing player however did not like this version. Anytime Reinhardt gets a taste of ā€œfavor the shooterā€ the forums become a blaze with detractors. In the end Blizzard reverted Charge back to what we have now. So far as I can tell, even with the patch notes saying they fixed bugs with Charge, this is the same static variation we have always had. With Earthshatter in its current form I can see Blizzard doing a soft revert if they cannot get the bugs worked out. People seem to be having many, though I am unable to force these scenarios myself.

"Da Hamma Swing"

Change number 1. (The change that broke it in the first place)
Overwatch Patch Notes - June 20, 2017
BUG FIXES
Fixed a bug affecting the animation speed on Reinhardtā€™s Rocket Hammer, causing the weapon to feel unresponsive while swinging

This change basically made it so that the swinging of the hammer didnā€™t line up with the connection hit marker. Previously to this the Rocket Hammer was one of the more perfectly operating things in the game. Reinhardt would swing and if you were close enough you got hit. The displacement also matched the hit marker. After this change the hit marker wouldnā€™t actually take place until after the Rocket Hammer completed the pass. The knock back was also unpredictable. This lead to many people just getting into Reinhardtā€™s face because his Hammer was so badly broken it may or may not even hit them. We all refer to this time as the 2017 Anniversary Patch that broke Reinhardt to begin with.

Blizzards response, after replying on the bug forums, was that they were going to look into it. This was the fix.

Overwatch Patch Notes ā€“ July 27, 2017
HERO UPDATES
Reinhardt

Rocket Hammer
    Swing speed increased by 10%

Developer Comment: In the last update, Reinhardtā€™s Rocket Hammer had an issue that allowed players with higher latency to swing faster. We fixed this bug, which suddenly made the swing speed feel too slow, so weā€™re compensating by increasing his standard swing speed. During this process, we also found and fixed a few bugs with Rocket Hammerā€™s hit registration. Overall, the hammer should feel much better.

and

BUG FIXES
Fixed multiple hit registration bugs in Reinhardtā€™s Rocket Hammer

Blizzard raised the swing animation speed to match the awful hit detection that was caused by the initial ā€œrepairā€. The first of many times we just asked Blizzard to stop changing anything with Reinhardt. Hammer Swing has remained in this limbo state ever since then. I personally believe the Reinhardt community just got used to the broken swing time and terrible animation. Now that Blizzard is possibly attempting to ā€œfixā€ it (oh god please no) it seems to have become slower in some manner. I have yet to experience this, but will not counter others without proof.

The new Shield Animation

I actually donā€™t know what to say. It hasnā€™t felt any different for meā€¦butā€¦at this point in my Reinhardt life cycle I am not one who could diagnose this issue. Rarely am I caught with me shield down when it would be an issue. I already know when McCree is about to throw a flash, I already know when enemy Reinhardt wants to shatter, I already know when I need to block Ultimateā€™s. This small new delay hasnā€™t affected my own game play. If it is affecting others I would definitely want Blizzard to look at it and see if there should be compensation for slower Shield activation and deactivation times. If it was fine before the animation change, then just make it faster Blizzard. Words of wisdom to those waiting for the change, if it ever comes;

ā€œIf you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.ā€ -Sun Tzu-

I personally think Charge needs the most attention in his kit. Charge is too unreliable for the amount of risk involved. A good Charge, well placed and executed, can change a team fight. A good Charge, that gets bugged out by the system, can lead to a team fight that now cannot be won. Lets all stick together in this and keep on protecting those that cannot protect themselves.

8 Likes

Thanks for taking the time to write all of this up and do some testing. Your motivation is inspiring :slight_smile:

1 Like

I hope people in this thread realize you have to block EARTHSHATTERS too.

yep, its fun when you try to block earthshatters but now earthshatter goes through a wall.

2 Likes

I think thatā€™s part of the problem weā€™re talking about. People do try to block Earthshatters, but between the ES bugs and Reinhardt now having slower reaction times due to the Hammond patch, it makes performing consistently near impossible.

Last time i played this game was 2 months ago and NOTHING changed FeelsGoodMan small indie company :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got shattered around a corner earlier today.

Fun stuff.

3 Likes

Blizzard: letā€™s respond to one of the millions of Mercy posts right now and talk about how much we like her.

Not Blizzard: Letā€™s fix Reinhardt as he has had bugs all over since launch and seeing that these bugs are upsetting because they ruin the skill a character takes, letā€™s fix him.

Letā€™s debate HUGE REZ instead of tweaking Rein.

2 Likes

I love how much work you put into this. I hope Blizz sees this and fixes him, I flex onto him bc gold is hard rip in pepperoni pieces

2 Likes