What was the point of the Mercy feedback thread?

No not really. The dislike bombing was constant on pretty much anything for any reason. I had my post hidden on a thread that asked what reticle color we were using, because I said mine was pink. That was the level of petty on the old forums. The dislike misuse was spread by many, many people.

It’s also something that doesn’t come as a default option with this software they are using.

The Mercy thread got flagged by people both for and against Mercy

You have no way of knowing that. The problem was extremely prevalent on a wide variety of topics and the dislike button did not tell you who had disliked it.

Just like you know there was no cult-like activity.

That’s different because it’s self evident that their antics did not differ from other consumer protest tactics.

Edit
Anyone who has done work with a international gaming communties forum, volunteer or paid, will tell you that the OW forums are nothing special. Spam is common on a change people dislike.

The cult thing was literally a joke thread started by a student.

So instead of throwing Mercy’s kit out of whack, they put a few really popular ideas on the new guy to help ensure all kinds of players would enjoy him.

To be fair, I really love Baptiste. And he does indeed feel like a hero workshopped from Mercy feedback.

Edit

His damage boost is more interactive and useful to him. His hops are independent. His immortality field was a common suggestion for Mass Rez. And proves that Mercy players had a good idea with it.

1 Like

They did have a reason to do it. It was creating a lot of spam and tons of threads. I do think that they took it into consideration they’re just taking their sweet time on sorting it

Intended or not, it was a safe haven for revert Mercy folks where the shill brigade couldn’t make a mess of things. So i still approve of it.

I think the mods learned from the DVa megathreads, which were not ‘official’ and always turned into flame wars after a few pages. People just started being openly hostile and were straight up insulting us DVa mains to get those topics derailed and locked. And it wasn’t just the aggressive ‘stahp complaining’ crowd, some very shall we say otherwise esteemed forum personalities joined in on it. While i myself do remember that time quite fondly and enjoyed the whole thing like a hot soup during a blizzard, it drove a lot of DVa mains away from the forums and the game.

As to the ‘questionable’ conduct of Mercy mains, don’t make me laugh. They were way too polite and genuine in dealing with detractors. They respond with blush emojis and slightly mocking sarcasm to stuff that the ‘DVa mob’ would’ve eaten you alive for. The hand-wringing over ‘mean’ Mercy mains is nothing but quality comedy.

5 Likes

Yeah it was awful…man, i miss the old forums. It was so much fun.

1 Like

I have to agree. Mercy main passion definitely helped make Baptiste super fun for me too, which is one of yhe reasons I hope Mercy becomes more fun soon.

The feedback thread was for those expressing how to fix Mercy 2.0. It just so happens that reverting this farce was one of the solutions that was presented.

Mercy 2.0 managed to do the impossible, and that is to make a flat out busted character that would see 90% pickrate in literally every rank.

Oh boy, was this a fair trade to Hide and Rez. The non-supports were getting sick of seeing her in every game. The supports were getting sick of having to play her every game. There were flex players (me included) who absolutely refused to play Mercy 2.0.

People were playing Rock Paper Scissors, where the loser would pick Mercy. How this was working in a virtual environment, i will never know.

successful rework, btw.

And I say this as someone whose most played are Lucio, Ana, Genji, Doomfist, McCree, Rein, and Roadhog. So unfortunately, you cant play the “mercy main” card against me.

Forum channeling its collective Ozymandias.

This is the most accurate description of how things went down.

1 Like

Because taking feedback does not innately mean that feedback WILL be used.
Feedback provides a means of reviewing the players ideas and making decisions surround that feedback, the statistics they have internally, and the direction they WANT to take the game.

In this case the feedback has been considered but not a determining factor in the decision. They listened and decided to go a different route.

2 Likes

That will always happen tho. It’s too large a project and too many people to please everyone. But it largely eliminates the support given too. Plenty of people asked for more Dev updates when they were commenting earlier this year.
Communication , imo, is requured for serviced media products.

Aint Titanium’s thread the new Mercy feedback thread?

I think it has more constructive feedback than the actual stickied one did…

To be fair the stickied one would have random threads just talking about mercy occasionally thrown into it aswell. It was a mess.

1 Like

Only point was to filter the threads from the forums, so you dont see Mercy related topics about one and the same thing over and over again. They didnt read the feedback. I believe someone brought up the forum stats of the devs account and their total read posts/read time wasnt nearly enough to just cover the Mercy thread by itself.

2 Likes

Public forum topics can be read without being logged in

The only real value of logging in is to be able to reply

1 Like