What was the point of the Mercy feedback thread?

No one has to do anything. But if I say “if you need talk, call this line” and no one answers when you do… It’s pretty messed up. Saying, “I said call, not that I would answer” doesn’t address the implications of your offering a line.

3 Likes

They rarely do in general, instead prefering to save it for interviews and the like. Still, every few months the basically feel the need to remind the community that they are listening to Mercy players, which is something they don’t do for any other hero, not even Bastion.

I think the Jeff has stated that they are working on making Mercy more fun in one of the more recent dev comments on the subject. I think the devs have been clear about their stance on Mercy and the direction they are taking her.

Transparency could be better, as could consistency, but that could be said about this dev team in general.

So if they didn’t scroll through the whole thread they didn’t read any of it?

But can you show they didn’t read them?

2 Likes

The forums aren’t a phone connected to your friend though

3 Likes

In this way, I see it as idk… A feedback thread? LolWhy ask for comment cards if you don’t wanna read or consider what is in them?

2 Likes

Yeah it could be said in general. The Mercy handling is simply a strong example but they do this constantly. And it’s a big part to blame about why so many people are frustrated with this game.

They should have been more responsive to the Mercy concerns because it was clear by the volume this was an important issue to the community. They should be more responsive on so many other important (and less important) issues too.

We need more feedback from devs. And I don’t think “They always suck” in any way excuses how the Mercy thread was handled. It just makes things worse for everyone else.

I really wish we had someone dedicated to handling responses on official feedback channels.

12 Likes

Yeah, it was but that wasn’t the only example and she wasn’t the only one. I know what I’ve seen on these and the old forums.

You can thank Mercy and D.va mains for these forums not having a dislike button because if you went against the hive, they made sure your post was hidden. That’s also why these new forums had a flagging problem that Blizzard had to address.

Mercy mains and D.va mains weren’t the only ones dislike bombing or false flagging but they were the majority on the old forums.

1 Like

Again, you have to show they didn’t read or consider what was in the thread.

Every time the devs said something about Mercy, they got attacked.

3 Likes

How many threads do you just go into and jump to the very bottom without reading anything in between?

And of course if they don’t scroll down to read it, they don’t read any of the ideas within it.

Literally the point of that thread was to show that very little was being read compared to what was claimed. If a dev only has 6k posts read, those 6k posts can be any of the hundreds of thousands of posts in the forum. The odds that any single good idea or a bad idea is being read are very low. No one but the devs can prove for certain that they did or didn’t read a good or bad idea, but it’s very improbable that the 6k posts read were all good ideas or all bad ideas.

1 Like

It was to prevent people from filling the forums with threads about mercy. Crowd Control

2 Likes

This, its mind boggling that its even a question.

1 Like

Irrelevant

Again. Another assertion with nothing to back it up.

Have you considered the fact that many of those posts had nothing to do with suggestions and many were just repeated over and over? That it was literally an echo chamber?

Only the developers can confirm, correct. You say it is improbable but have no way of establishing a probability

2 Likes

Well when most people hear the word listening, they mean communication. If you say something to someone and they don’t respond, a common follow up is “were you even listening?” “did you hear me?”

Yes we can, because if they continue to push the narrative that current Mercy is fine then it shows they’re not listening.

The first is something that should have been added from the get-go and doesn’t really help the character much beyond the superficial, the second is nice but I don’t recall anyone asking for the bug to be baked into Guardian Angel.

I have seen a lot of people have issue with Mercy’s kit and her HPS. You know, real changes that would help the character. Yet we get crickets in return.

1 Like

I literally quit the game because they removed the bug and made forum post after forum post demanding it was added as a feature (separate account I don’t use anymore made these posts) ((Yes I was in the wrong for doing this in my opinion))

When I came back finally (for some reason the pink Mercy skin seduced me into playing again) I saw they added it as a feature and never wanted a Mercy revert afterwards.

In other words: I was in the revert Mercy crowd until this change was made

Mercy mains knew that the devs occasionally visited the forums, but never knew when. They were pretty sure that if the devs visited the forums and found a Mercy feedback post on the front page, they could convince the devs to change their mind on the Mercy rework.

The only way to be SURE that the devs would find a Mercy thread on the front page when they visited, was to have a Mercy thread on the front page 24/7.

But the devs had already dug their heels in on the topic, so they ordered the forum mods to “tidy up” the forums so it can be used for non-mercy related topics. The megathread was a quarantine, intended to contain dissent so the rest of the community could pretend everything was fine.

The Mercy mains caught onto this, and their relentless posting on the front page became as much of an act of defiance against censorship as it was an attempt to establish a line of communication with the devs.

4 Likes

You can be an optimist and say it’s easier to read things that are in one spot or be a pessimist and say it’s to control complaints/minimize them.

Feedback also only gets followed if they care about where it comes from.

For example, lets say I was making a video game and ability x is broken for the top .5% of the game but, it worked perfectly fine the other 99.5%. It’s entirely possible that it’d stay that way despite feedback because I’m not willing to sacrifice 99.5% for .5%.

The development team might feel that the players that liked Mercy aren’t the audience they want to cater to.

They’ve stopped doing it for now, we can cross that bridge if it comes to it when it does.

1 Like

That’s not an assertion, that’s how reading a forum works.
If someone came to this post right now, read what OP wrote, and then wrote a reply, he would not read literally any of the conversation that has happened in the last 50 comments.

Which you wouldn’t know, unless the posts were being read. I did read those threads, and while there was an echo chamber there were still good ideas and bad ideas.

6k posts out of over 100k? No one on the forum knows how many posts have been created. But that’s a highballed 6% chance of any one post being read. That’s one in 17, 1 in 18 posts. 17.7k posts as of July 2018, that’s just over 1000 posts read of the Mercy Megathread, assuming that the Megathread was the only thing being read by a developer (which we know isn’t true, because there were responses of other posts at that time). Considering all of the arguments, trolls, and posts being relegated to the megathread, it’s doubtful that those 1000 posts read all had good ideas or bad ideas. This doesn’t take into account that people don’t just open up a thread and randomly click on a spot to begin reading. Furthermore, because of the random organization of that megathread due to mods deleting posts and shoving them into the megathread willy-nilly, it isn’t an easy thing to follow. Ideas and conversations were lost in the megathread simply because an entire topic was spliced in the middle of a discussion.

1 Like

Until the forum community wore down the moderators and devs that the feedback thread died. After the devs and moderators defense was penetrated by the forums lance. Destroying the devs frontline of moderators into submission. Also PSA this is not meant to offend the moderators this is a satire.

So instead of using those ideas for mercy. They used that mercy thread which was created a year and a half ago onto a hero kit that wasn’t fleshed out. when that mercy thread was for mercy, not Baptiste.