What was the point of the Mercy feedback thread?

The devs haven’t responded to any of the direct feedback.

Mercy: “We think she’s balanced but not fun”
Devs: “Her pickrate and winrate are balanced”

That’s not listening. It’s talking on a tangential point to avoid responding to the question being asked. Which is a great PR doublespeak technique to dodge responding without making it seem as you did.

Mercy has gotten more attention by way of nerfs. She’s had little done to address feedback.

14 Likes

Implying the devs read it; they didn’t.

Back before the devs hid their forum profiles, you could see their “read posts” count. The only people who read as many posts as the Mercy Megathread were the mods and Micheal Chu.

8 Likes

It was a dumping ground, to clean up the rest of the forum and stop the pollution that was Mercy One Trick tears.

Can you actually substantiate this claim? Because you are calling out someone for implying something, but then doing exactly what you are calling out but to the extreme

That doesn’t mean they didn’t look within the thread. Not reading the whole thread doesn’t mean you didn’t read some of it.

Honestly I’d rather them not waste time reading bad ideas.

4 Likes

It was different. She was in the wrong. “The devs aren’t listening to what I think should happen with a character and I got punished for breaking the rules on the forums, I’m gonna talk bad about them on yt and set up a raid.”

She needs to grow up. One of her videos was basically whining that she got suspended or banned on the forums. Her excuse is that even though she broke the rules, other people did it.

Her hive mind followed her as well.

1 Like

As a matter of fact, I can.

Well, I could. Last July the devs had visible read counts for their profiles

It does; when the new forums opened up and everyone was trying to figure out how to get Trust Level 3, the easiest way to reach the read count was just scrolling through the Mercy Megathread. You don’t actually have to read each post to influence the posts read.

Really hard to tell if an idea is a good one or a bad one if you don’t read it.

15 Likes

Popular streamers, all of them, have that kind of influence. That’s just how fame goes and what she organized wasn’t that different than a letter writing campaign. It was just the internet forum equivalent.

Which is a very common consumer advocacy technique when people want to feel heard by corporations.

People make a bigger deal out if than it is, its not a cult. There is nothing cultish. It’s just annoyed customers being annoyed customers. Annoyed customers tend to be irritating.

11 Likes

No one has to do anything. But if I say “if you need talk, call this line” and no one answers when you do… It’s pretty messed up. Saying, “I said call, not that I would answer” doesn’t address the implications of your offering a line.

3 Likes

They rarely do in general, instead prefering to save it for interviews and the like. Still, every few months the basically feel the need to remind the community that they are listening to Mercy players, which is something they don’t do for any other hero, not even Bastion.

I think the Jeff has stated that they are working on making Mercy more fun in one of the more recent dev comments on the subject. I think the devs have been clear about their stance on Mercy and the direction they are taking her.

Transparency could be better, as could consistency, but that could be said about this dev team in general.

So if they didn’t scroll through the whole thread they didn’t read any of it?

But can you show they didn’t read them?

2 Likes

The forums aren’t a phone connected to your friend though

3 Likes

In this way, I see it as idk… A feedback thread? LolWhy ask for comment cards if you don’t wanna read or consider what is in them?

2 Likes

Yeah it could be said in general. The Mercy handling is simply a strong example but they do this constantly. And it’s a big part to blame about why so many people are frustrated with this game.

They should have been more responsive to the Mercy concerns because it was clear by the volume this was an important issue to the community. They should be more responsive on so many other important (and less important) issues too.

We need more feedback from devs. And I don’t think “They always suck” in any way excuses how the Mercy thread was handled. It just makes things worse for everyone else.

I really wish we had someone dedicated to handling responses on official feedback channels.

12 Likes

Yeah, it was but that wasn’t the only example and she wasn’t the only one. I know what I’ve seen on these and the old forums.

You can thank Mercy and D.va mains for these forums not having a dislike button because if you went against the hive, they made sure your post was hidden. That’s also why these new forums had a flagging problem that Blizzard had to address.

Mercy mains and D.va mains weren’t the only ones dislike bombing or false flagging but they were the majority on the old forums.

1 Like

Again, you have to show they didn’t read or consider what was in the thread.

Every time the devs said something about Mercy, they got attacked.

3 Likes

How many threads do you just go into and jump to the very bottom without reading anything in between?

And of course if they don’t scroll down to read it, they don’t read any of the ideas within it.

Literally the point of that thread was to show that very little was being read compared to what was claimed. If a dev only has 6k posts read, those 6k posts can be any of the hundreds of thousands of posts in the forum. The odds that any single good idea or a bad idea is being read are very low. No one but the devs can prove for certain that they did or didn’t read a good or bad idea, but it’s very improbable that the 6k posts read were all good ideas or all bad ideas.

1 Like

It was to prevent people from filling the forums with threads about mercy. Crowd Control

2 Likes

This, its mind boggling that its even a question.

1 Like

Irrelevant

Again. Another assertion with nothing to back it up.

Have you considered the fact that many of those posts had nothing to do with suggestions and many were just repeated over and over? That it was literally an echo chamber?

Only the developers can confirm, correct. You say it is improbable but have no way of establishing a probability

2 Likes