What’s A Tilted?

I don’t get this slang. Is this like you’ve been flipping your paddles too much so the ball falls down the hole? I don’t get it.

2 Likes

Tilting someone is when you make them SO mad their concentration is broken and they basically get thrown off their game like a shutting down pinball machine that’s been overloaded by input.

Metaphorically the “tilt” alarm goes off in their heads, their good sense shuts down and they start losing or at least doing poorly because they can no longer concentrate.

4 Likes

" Tilt originated as a poker term for a state of mental or emotional confusion or frustration in which a player adopts a less than optimal strategy, usually resulting in the player becoming over-aggressive.

One possible origin of the word “tilt” is as a reference to tilting a pinball machine. The frustration from seeing the ball follow a path towards the gap between the flippers can lead to the player physically tilting the machine in an attempt to guide the ball towards the flippers. However, in doing so, some games will flash the word “TILT” and freeze the flippers, causing the ball to be lost for certain "

source : wikipedia

3 Likes

Lol, kids these days. Sounds dumb.

The phrase came from before all of us were born. Boomers these days.

13 Likes

It started out in the Pinball days, where people would literally tilted the machine to play as a form of rage.

Now it is just a way to say someone is WAYYYY to angry in the game, and these people keep playing for some god forsaken reasons.

Tilt is when your negative emotions affect your performance. You can be tilted without realizing it, it happens quite frequently

Pretty sure tilting in pinball is when you’re trying to tilt the pinball machine to cheat.

Is when u lose alot of games and keep playing then u realize ur big mistake, tilting is basically getting mad and complaining of things just cause youre losing

It’s when you shake the pinball machine too much.

#boomer

Ok Boomer :wink:

You had to see that coming.

I’m actually a millennial. I’ve always thought slang was stupid and always will.

Yeah I figured as much, trying to find a single boomer in this game must be like 1 in 100,000 or more - but the “Kids these days” comment, couldn’t not meme on you for that :wink:

On a serious note though, why does “Tilted” get you up in a twist? It fits with it’s old counterpart - people who got mad shook the hell out of the machines they are playing on and the machine would lock because of “Tilt”. Much like what usually caused tilt locking - anger is tilt.

You could be calling things like “Hundo P” stupid - because it’s just so cringe.
But you took the word which actually makes sense backdating as the slang term that was stupid - There are so many better examples of dumb slang - and tilt isn’t one of them.

Like tilt just makes sense - “Hundo P”? Who the hell says that unironically and why the hell does this exist?

I have no idea what you’re talking about. I didn’t know what tilted meant, so I asked. I probably won’t ever think of it again outside of this forum post.

Filter? You said tilted sounds dumb - I just pointed out that unlike alot of the slang from actual kids these days it makes sense - I told you why it makes sense and pointed you to actually bad slang that makes no sense.

trust me I wish I had no idea what I was talking about either - I too dislike alot of the nonsensical slang of today - just seems 100% cringe.

Fixed. It’s dumb because it’s dumb. Circular reasoning at its best.

??? Now you’ve lost me entirely

Oh you edited the post - understand now. But the reasoning I still don’t understand >.>

He doesn’t know… PepeLaugh

But I do! widepeepohappy

So your one of those “I was born in the wrong generation” types. That’s even worse lmao.

1 Like

Speaking of weird modern slang…

Cringe.

Did the “y” offend everyone so much? Is it too much to type?