What really was wrong with mass Resurrect?

You forgot the point where Reaper could just near-instantly fly into the center of the enemy team and was invulnerable while he did it.

it’s way more logical to make a complete rework, which ended up making her OP for how long…instead of removing invincibilty, maybe making radius smaller [add LoS even? idk] and let people CC her out of res?
unheard off, absolutely makes no sense /s

edit: the only thing i legit love about this nerf is that there’s no way in hell she can solo heal which is a god send honestly. [res on E is still BS tho but oh well]

when u go in tutorial Athena says that ultimate abilities can turn the game in your favour.
Mass Rez was the perfect example,but unfortunately Jeff has another opinion about this…

1 Like

And gets a Wraith reset because sometimes he’d die when trying to do this in a room full of enemies and well, we can’t have that

What really was wrong with mass Resurrect?

Usually you pair up a main healer (Mercy / Ana / moira) with a “defensive ult healer” (Zen / Lucio).

If you notice, the main healers all have a more offensive ultimate. This allows to create opportunity window especially on 2CP maps.

To take point B of a 2CP you need to kill them all and kill them fast, which suggest some kind of combo like Grav+Dragon for instance. But at the time where Mercy had Mass Rezz, the defense could combo ZEN+MERCY and always had Transcendance or Resurect available to counter the push. Making the attack way harder to be successfull.

In actual rank it is already hard enough to have everybody comboing and acting together. having two safeguard against highly coordinated plays is too much.

2 Likes

this is actually the best explanation i’ve read so far? wow…
also, i just remembered we didn’t always have thirds to cap a point, which…i’m happy I forgot about that awful time lol

If Mercy can swoop in and save everyone then your team didn’t remove the enemy.

She literally has damage boost and rez outside of heal. Rez isn’t worth much at this point. Damage boost is boring and still not worth much. Glad you like seeing a main healer not be able to heal.

Get over it. It’s a videogame character.

Blizz decided that mass rez wasn’t something that fit into their vision of how OW should be played. Over a year later they haven’t even mentioned mass rez a single time, maybe you should get the hint.

You don’t have to. There are other, more easier ways to deal with mass Resurrect. Staggering is just an option that most players can do.

What’s the counter to an ultimate that revives the dead if the counter to an ultimate that gives off heals is anti-heals?

The scenario you gave talks about how you wipe a team but lost a bunch of teammates then the Mercy swoops in for the big res. Why is the Mercy alive? Why didn’t you kill her along with her team?

The average amount of players ressed per game before her rework was 6.

I mean, ofc it’s going to have counters. All it offers to the fight is enhanced heals. Also, it is literally the opposite of engaging. It is best utilised by staying as far as possible from the fight. That and the fact that you can only ever Resurrect by hiding.

I, personally, consider anything that negates the impacts of the ultimate a counter.

Oh please. When have they ever cared about how we feel when talking about Mercy? They’ve always made changes based of off what they feel.

Risky bet.

It’s a video game character who is a lot of people’s favorite, who isn’t fun to play, defeating the purpose of being a video game character. Get over it.

2 Likes

Get over what exactly? Your inability to move on and fully grasp how fruitless the constant “revert mercy” posts are? I suppose I just pity you, it’s like watching a baby cry when someone takes their toy away after they break it.

Does it bother you? If it bothers you, ignore these threads. I also believe that they will never put the mass rez (even if I’d like to). But I do not come here to write they’re whiny. As long as they do not violate the rules of the forum, there is no reason to scold them.

None. Like i said, theres no “corpse consuming”, that will prevent the res or consume the corpse. Dont try to be clever, like i said “Killing X before he/she does Y” is not a counter, its a prevention. Words matter.

We can follow up with pointless more questions like: “Why do you need mass ress? Why did you let your team die in the first place?”. We can go on forever but its pointless so it ends here.

Source? Because i wasnt a good mercy and i got 3 man reses easy 3 times per match.

You Fly, you get regen, you get double range to abuse GA … i mean, sure, you can hide. Using valk will not prevent you from hiding but if you dont engage during the ult, you clearly have 0 idea of how to use the ult. No offense pal.

I personally call oranges weird apples but i do know its silly and i truly know that they are oranges. Again, pointless argument there.

Oh they do. Let me remind you invul WAS implemented because of feedback and “caring about” doesnt mean “follow the orders of Mercy mains”. Dont be mistaken, they dont adapt the game for you, you are the one who has to adapt to the game and its changes.

If this was las vegas, i would put 90% of my stack in yes. And if we got a survey for ALL overwatch players, i would get SO much money :sunglasses:

Anubis point B.
Kill Mercy first, wipe enemy team. Mercy respawns and presses Q. GG.

The only hero this is applicable to is Reinhardt. Every other hero who has barriers has them on cooldowns (save for Symmetra, who has one on her ultimate).

Even so, suppose that Reinhardt’s barrier was left with 500 HP when he died. it will take about 8 seconds for it to recharge fully, and that’s assuming that Reinhardt hasn’t used it in the past 2 seconds. There is a 2 second regeneration delay for his barrier, bringing that number up to about 10 seconds of recharge time from 500 HP.

…Which is about on par with the rest of the cooldowns in the game.

First, why is Mercy streaking in uncontested?

Yeah, when you make no action to counter an ultimate, that ultimate is probably going to hand your rear to you.

Furthermore, replace Mercy with someone else. That’s another midfight ultimate in favor of the no-longer-Mercy’s team, and if it really were a close fight with Mercy on the team, then it would be a victorious fight with another healer there.

Explain.

This is incorrect.

No counterplay will work 100% of the time. This wasn’t unique to Resurrect.

That said, The counterplay to Resurrect was pretty straightforward. In fact, it comprised of three different activities that any team should be doing regardless as to whether or not the enemy has a Mercy:

• Using ultimates economically.
  • Staggering enemy deaths.
  • Prioritizing high-value targets over others.

Let’s pull a quote from one of my 2017 posts.

"“Resurrect has no counterplay.”
Yes, it does. There are five ways to do so:

1. Kill the Mercy first. There are five heroes designed to move past a team’s frontline to kill their healers, three of which are in every game with how popular dive compositions are. They all have mobility options that allow them to pursue Mercy when she uses GA, and the one that is more limited in doing so has the ability to disable GA entirely. A common counterargument to this is “But Mercy heals when you stop damaging her, and she keeps zipping away from me with GA.” Mercy heals at a rate of 20 health/second, after a 1 second delay from not taking damage. If you deal half of her health in damage before she flies to a target, she needs 6 seconds to recover back to full health. You have plenty of time to attack her again. Hell, have a DVa shoot at her from across the map to disable her healing if that’s what floats your boat.

For reference, Lucio has a healing rate of 12.1875/second on himself without a cooldown upon taking damage, along with an ability that increases his self-healing to 35.1/second for 3 seconds. And yet, nobody seems to complain about him.

Another counterargument to option #1 is “But her team protects her.” First, you’d be surprised at how many teams hardly protect their Mercy at all, second, this leads me into option #2.

1. Let’s say Mercy flies to her team who protects her and drives off the flanker. Guess where Mercy is now? She’s in the middle of her team. You know those ultimates you were planning on using to wipe said team? Use them. If Mercy is close enough for her team to protect her, she is also likely in range of:
  • Rocket Barrage.
  • Tactical Visor.
  • Dragonblade.
  • EMP.
  • Earthshatter.
  • Blizzard.
  • Self-destruct.
  • Graviton Surge.
  • Deadeye.
  • Supercharger.
  • Configuration: Tank.
  • Death Blossom.
  • Dragonstrike.
  • Meteor Strike.
    Use those team-wiping ultimates you have saved, as chances are you will kill her in the process.
  1. If options 1 and 2 don’t work for you, just save one or two ultimates for the post-resurrection teamfight. You have the positioning advantage, the first shot, and have a few seconds to prepare once Resurrect has been used. A single well-placed ultimate can completely negate a full-team resurrection.

2. Stagger the enemy team’s deaths in space and/or time. Resurrect becomes useless if Mercy’s teammates’ deaths are staggered.

3. If you fail to accomplish any of the four options listed above, you can shutdown the Mercy while she is flying in to rez. This is the hardest of the four to accomplish, yet it is not impossible. While flying in to rez, I have been:

• Sniped by Widowmaker.
  • Hacked or EMPed by Sombra.
  • Killed by Junkrat when he fired once then threw his Concussion Mine at me.
  • Hooked and killed by Roadhog.
  • Slept by Ana, and then jumped on by the enemy team.
  • Killed by a Nano-Visor that was still active (partially my fault).
  • Stunned/FTHed by McCree.
  • Killed by Tracer + Discord Orb.
  • Killed by Soldier:76 + Discord Orb.
  • Taken focus fire and then finished off by a Reinhardt, who I had to fly past in order to get within rez range.
  • Accidentally sniped or Scattered by Hanzo.
  • Accidentally charged by Reinhardt.
  • Pulled by Orisa’s Halt ability which canceled my GA, and then killed while it was still on cooldown.
  • Mowed down by a damage-boosted Bastion."
5 Likes

It encouraged counter-intuitive play.

As a dedicated healer, you always had the option to stop healing and let your team die, outright abandoning them now to try and pick up the pieces later.

Even if such plays were frowned upon, it doesn’t really change the fact that the encouragement to do so was always there. And that’s why Blizz will likely never revert, because they don’t like the mere idea of the strat as a whole.

This again?

• Not healing was more optimal than healing on many occasions, Blizzard didn’t want this to be the case for a character like Mercy
  • annoying to play with. A teammate telling you to die, letting yourself die, is counter-intuitive
  • Hide n rez
  • disheartening to play against

Convince me that the first two wouldn’t be an issue with any kind of variation of mass rez

Four words:

Instant and no counterplay.

I had no problem with ress untill it made her immune to dmg. There was no problem with mass rezz untill then at normal lvl of play