What means when people write "bg" instead of "gg"?

“Bad game”

Usually a result of the match maker throwing a conniption and completely failing to make balanced teams, or because a team just completely failed to gel and got roflstomped.

People are allowed to be angry at bad games.

3 Likes

God this kills me every time I read it.

1 Like

If people get upset over someone saying bg after a game they think was horrible, but think it is okay to say gg after a stomp are probably disingenuous to begin with.

If you think it is okay to say ‘gg’, you should also think it is okay to say ‘bg’. Just saying.

4 Likes

Any one that thinks gg means something more is probably the same person that doesnt gg when they lose.

So when the enemy team ggs after a win they equate it to the same reason that they only gg after a win and it’s because the losing team is pouting and can’t stand to say gg out of petty reasons

Gg still means gg just the losing team in this situation is probably too busy blaming their teammates to care about sportsmanship

1 Like

Just had a match where two people from enemy team left after the first round. They were left with two dps, tank and healer for Route 66 attack, and damn they put up a good fight, even moving the payload a little bit!

We got the payload to the end on the first round, so guess they knew they could not win at that point, and still they did so well with 4v6…
Got to tip my hat for that fighting spirit! :heavy_heart_exclamation:

1 Like

me personally, i will only type it when the game is steamrolled HARD by enemy, and our players refuse to swap and adapt or at the very least try abit.

in other words, wasting 5 minutes or maybe 10 if include queue time just so that i can sit through a losing game and pretend im trying :joy:

there are some ppl in higher ranks will type bg if someone in their team is obviously smurfing or cheating.

I mean it is “bad game” seeing that gg is “good game”

So yeah, someone is REALLY salty.

Sure you are. But a sign of maturity is accepting that it’s just a video game and not making pouting remarks at the end. That’s part of being a grown-up.

A sign of maturity would be accept that some people are going to be bitter about a bad game, and that pretending it was good might cause offense.

Not getting condescending about ps, qs, and fake platitudes.

But I should expect little less from someone who’s had the cheek to mansplain things to me before.

4 Likes

After the game you line up and shake the other team’s hand. You do it to demonstrate respect for the game, respect for the other team, and respect for yourself that you can carry yourself like an adult in both victory and defeat. Whether you do our don’t says a lot about you.

And when you do that, you’re free to comment, ‘that sucked, no hard feelings’ or some such. You’ll see in tennis, in a very one sided match they’ll talk often at length.

Shaking hands and going through the motions of walking off, doesn’t make the shaking hands mean anything, which is literally what happens here.

I said, maybe it’s a cultural issue, America has in store greeters and stuff, there’s fake niceties everywhere. I find it weird. Because we just don’t do that in the UK.

You’re reading a lot into ‘bg’ that probably isn’t there.

2 Likes

Like I said, says a lot about you. We’ll leave at that.

As is admitting that what just happened in your benefit was not fair, but I somehow doubt that stops you from typing “gg” and claiming all that credit for yourself.

1 Like

Sportsmanship is not a two way street here, because it isn’t enforced. Majority of the matches I played over the years continue this pattern. No matter if it’s the same people you just played with, or anyone new.

I don’t claim any credit for myself. I type “gg” after every match, win or lose, because that is good sportsmanship.

It is not good sportsmanship. If it is not an actual good game, it is just hollow or condescending.

Good sportsmanship would be to keep it to yourself unless it was an actual good game.

2 Likes

It is good sportsmanship. It is the handshake after the game. I type exactly two things in chat – “glhf” before the match and “gg” after the match. Being a good winner and a gracious loser is a sign of maturity.

Words have meaning, and if you keep spamming gg regardless of circumstance, they lose that meaning.

gg means good game, if it was not a good game, dont say it.

It is so simple, even a caveman can get it.

1 Like

I always say that children should play at least one season of a team sport – be it baseball, softball, basketball, football, soccer, etc – growing up. It teaches them a lot about winning, losing, and life. I think a lot of the responses here illustrate why that is so important.

1 Like

We are not kids here, we do not need to the embarrassing side-show that nobody liked doing. Neither team enjoyed that.

We are adults, so we dont need to do things we dont want to.

Man up.