What matters most for SR

Getting good.

No point gain SR if you’re not improving.

And if you keep improving and practicing you’ll win more and gain SR.

In short. Don’t worry about the number.

4 Likes

Well, there’s nothing else down there…

It appears you’ve fallen victim to the ol, “I’ll destroy my placements and climb out of this dumpster” optimism.

If you haven’t already figured out, the system doesn’t allow you to climb out of your rank solely based on placements.

It’s about progressing your way through the ladder to the next rank. It’s a little confusing for new players and a little tedious for seasoned players.

But it’s how the system (and many systems of other games) are designed.

2 Likes

a truly in depth understanding of how sr works ladie and gents

1 Like

I mean… He’s right

Placements basically work based off your prior season, and with the exact same system it uses to calculate a normal game under diamond where PBSR is still active.
The only time where it will be wildly inconsistent is on a new account that has never done competitive, and hasn’t logged a bunch hours elsewhere.
Basically, you shouldn’t even be taking placements into consideration since they effectively have no purpose outside of a brand new level 25 account.
Just imagine your last season’s ending SR and go up or down roughly ~30+/30- from that based on your W/L.

Hope that helped.

These are good questions. SR is determined mainly by win/loss, which is largely determined by a handicapping system called MMR. More information about SR/MMR:

2 Likes

This would also make smurfing harder because they couldn’t abuse bad performance to drop farther

This works if there is zero MMR handicapping. An SR-only system driven by win/loss would work fine, if SR were fit-for-purpose and people were shipped at random - the way every fair competition works.

If I write an IQ test I want to know my score. I want it to accurately reflect where I stand on the curve. SR should represent the difficulty. There is no sense competing if the number doesn’t reflect the skill, or other numbers are being used to secretely judge and rigg around your skill.

The competition becomes a rigged sham.

True, no warpzones. Even winning 9/10 and not being the worst in a <500 rank payout, and you gain 100sr maybe. They don’t ever reset the ranks which promotes pay2win.

I design systems for big paychecks and I can tell you almost every manmade system goes through maintenance cycles like restores/resets/repairs in order to shed entropy and preserve integrity. There is no way, even without rigging and alts, that SR can still be fit-for-purpose 5+ years without a reset.

1 Like

Yeah… Me too dude…

2 Likes

I really do though. Test me and I’ll test you? What reliability model would you use for a population-based competitive system such as a ladder? What data would you use to validate the scoring functions? What constraints, edge cases and boundary conditions are you calibrating around?

Etc. etc. I don’t expect you to answer, but if you want to get technical and bust out real math talk I’m always a sucker for it.

As do I… I program FPGAs for Guidance nav and control systems for air/spacecraft.

I don’t really care dude…

What honest effort have you put into actually improving as a competitive player outside of crying about the matchmaker?

2 Likes

Ghhhsss receipts incoming looks like its going to get wild…requesting fly by

3 Likes

Nice I’ve done that too. But we used FPAA because it’s better :slight_smile:

Did you go over my <500 replays? I asked for help. No1 seems to want to comment on the 9 wins and why everyone in those games is better than me (because I’m <500 but they’re from the 900s I guess).

THATS the definition of application specific. I would HEAVILY disagree with you here…

No I haven’t honestly. But I will get to it this week.

2 Likes

Please stop talking about “rigging”

You are zero clue what you are talking about.

You can’t climb, because of your ability. Not because the system.

2 Likes

Thanks. If you want to defend the system and help a bottom 1% player, I have posted my 9/10 winning replays from my <500 placements. Please focus on the WINS, as the 1 loss has been reviewed/explained already. Maybe help us find reasons that without a shadow of a doubt classify my skill as bottom 1% of everyone to ever visit playoverwatch-com.

And sorry if I was unclear. “Rigging” in this sense, and the sense used by almost everyone, means using hidden algorithmic tools to contrive the outcome/balance of the match.

I can watch them. But I know what I will see.

You, and everyone else in your games, making lots of fundamental mistakes.

If you are in bronze , it is because you are failing/unwilling to learn from them.

I know exactly what you meant by rigging. And it doesn’t happen, you are talking out of your rear.

2 Likes

I agree, which is why I posted ALL my placements for scrutiny. Nothing to hide. I know I’m trash, and belong in the bottom 1%. I’m trying to gitgud and maybe reach for a new peak, say 800sr this season. That would be swell.

But since the system is working fine, I’m just lost trying to find out what an 800sr player is doing so fundamentally different than myself and the others in my games.

This part we can disagree on. Because I can see 8+ patents that intend to rig. Is it in in OW? We don’t know. But there are OW screenshots, in the patents themselves, and the people behind the patents sure want to rig - what with an entire portfolio dedicated to it and all.

I think after that kind of evidence, the burden of proof is to show how the game can’t possibly rigged. It’s 8+ counts of rigging vs. what? 0 counts that show how it can’t possibly be rigged? If they really wanted to back unrigged games, to stand behind non-rigging, they could post here and defend their system. Maybe even link a patent (or twelve) that show how they ensure it isn’t rigged, handicapped, or algorithmically contrived.

To address the OP: The SR may be out of wack because of 1. no-reset in 5+ years, 2. smurfs/alts, and 3. rigging.

Nothing.

In bronze the team that punishes more of the dumb decisions wins.

They also spend the whole match waiting for someone to do something rather than having a plan and making the play.

2 Likes

Yeah but <500 is a whole other level of bad. And that’s where I’ve been held up for seasons/years. I have a thread on the issue. You can probably spot blatant issues in my gameplay that keeps me there, and not up where the gods play, at like 817sr. Maybe you can look at one of the 9 wins and decide what I’m doing that causes me to win 30% of my <500 matches?