What kind of name change?

• Retcon: Hi, my name is [Cowboy]. What? Was I McCree yesterday? Where did you hear it? Who was I in Blizzard?
  • Readjustment: Hi, I’m [Cowboy]. No, my name is no longer Jesse McCree, I have decided to change my life, starting with the name.
  • Recycling: Hi, I have a confession: actually my name is Joel (Sombra discovered me). Please don’t call me that. [Officially Discarded, is not enough]
  • Re-adaptation as a fugitive: Actually my name is Joel. For years I have called myself Jesse McCree, but a new era awaits me. and I’ll live it calling myself [Cowboy]

As a lover of lore, I prefer the last option It will not cancel any of this scandal, but it would make the interruption less impactful with its narrative immersion.

EDIT: a rather important key piece of information:

1 Like

I’m personally for retcon. The others just seem half-baked to me, you’re not really distancing the character from the name, just moving it to his backstory.

Not to mention the obvious complications it would bring if they ever wanted to tell a Mccree story from before he changed his name in the lore.

yes, but remember that they have confirmed that:

“McCree” will always be imprinted in the comic, the short film and the book Deadlock Rebels. :grimacing:

1 Like

Right and I imagine that’s because its too difficult to change it. I’m saying they should just pretend that his name is different there.

To me it’s a bit like how the Dumbledore actor changed between the second and third Harry Potter movie. They didn’t go back and edit the first two movies or create some lore reason like he was put under a spell that altered his appearance, it was just something that people accepted.

1 Like

I think given they stated it will be addressed in the lore we were conveniently going to get around this time, totally, not at all a lie, that he will just take up a new name.

well, but there you accepted it due to force majeure (the death of Richard Harris). here we talk about a choice. right or wrong as it is, if an adaptation is not found you are forced to give a company explanation forever, abruptly interrupting your narrative reading. for how I see it it’s like starting a scarf and ending with a sweater with the sleeve of a scarf, in my opinion :rofl:

1 Like

If we accept that the devs did it because they felt uncomfortable with the name, then I say that is a force major enough for us to accept the change too.

It depends on if McErron Black’s name is an upgrade or not. If they name him something stupid like Justin Trueshot, I am… Actually, I would be fine with my own name that was supposed to make fun of him.

I mean… He will have 2 names in the end, the internet doesn’t forget and mccree will always show pictures of our beloved cowboy.

I’d like to think McCree becomes like Dick Grayson from the batman series: he was Robin, but then he became Nightwing. it creates the same tag paradox you mention: you will ALSO find it with that name.

the past is not erased, but evolution is imprinted. but to do so I think it is important to define the turning point in the narrative structure, not with a tweet without any king of info in the lore.

I kinda hope he keeps parts of the name like the cree as its just a additional burden when talking with new players.

I am pretty sure i will call him cree for the next years…

Its hard to lose habits you practiced a lobg rime

Ok, I’ve got it.

Jesse McCree spur jangles his way out onto a dusty road, looking for criminals. BANG! He finds one! A sexual harasser. Well, Jesse McCree don’t cotton to none of that! He flashbangs the guy right in the face and fan the hammers him with stakes, impaling him to the wall! Sexual Harasser has seen his last harassment. Jesse McCree jangles up to the horrifically mutilated corpse and asks his name. It’s JESSE MCCREE! Yes, an entirely unrelated to the character or real life third Jesse McCree! Jesse McCree is shocked! How could someone with his name do something so terrible! On that day, he knows he can no longer use his sullied name, and changes his to Chuck. Chuck Upperdink.

Then he apologizes to Ashe for being such a jerk, buys BOB a new hat, and throws away his flashbangs so I have time to recall when I blow my cooldowns on Tracer. THE END.