What is with the matchmaking in QP lately !?!?!?

Either you steam-roll the other team or you get steam-rolled. I don’t think I’ve played a really “close” game in almost 3 weeks.

I’m also been seeing multiple low-level solo players (like sub-30) being matched against teams that are mainly Level 900+. I recently played a game where the supports were level 7 and 80 (guess how that went) and I thought maybe they were smurfs with really high MMR… but within a few seconds, it becomes obvious they were in way over their head.

Has anyone else been noticing this?

I have no issues with low levels learning but when someone can’t live long enough to even run away what’s the point?

41 Likes

Agreed

It has been REALLY AWFUL lately. My guess kinda goes with the fact that after “The great purge of blizzard” folks that were working with match maker also got fired OR they quit. Especially after Uncle Jeff left Blizzard and Micheal is no longer there.

I look at the match and take 1 of just a few options right now.

1 ) Avoid the lobby.
2 ) Play the match, but without a Care to the world.
3 ) Try, because the match looks balanced.
4 ) No control, just face roll. The sooner a person crashes into the wall, the faster this can end.

I would give it a solid 71% of matches are NOT playable right now. Period.

My guess is, is that Overwatch has been in a close-out phase, just like WoW was, a few years back. It was a tell-all sign after “Free HK” started and especially after Jeff went and left, and Micheal. Then the Activision HR “harassment” scandal occurred. That was the last straw.

(side note) Which I do NOT blame employees for being PO’D at all, I worked for a company that also was this bad and things like that happened there, and thankfully that company is GONE.

Just seeing how this happened in WoW. My “crystal ball” predicts this:

I will give it a matter of time, before Private servers start popping up. Just because I don’t think Microsoft will be able to handle it any better and they are deliberately trying to hemorrhage the player base into quitting. Sure, they bought the game for 70 billion, but if the company tanks overnight, it is a tax write-off, and the liquidation assets might get some of their money back, especially in the world of NFTs.

Also, I thought of this.
If Morheim plays his cards right. and has enough money from his new company. He could knock on Microsoft’s door and be like “soooo, you have Overwatch, there is nothing left to it, wanna sell it ?” and that could be a power-play on his part, or even JEFF. Depending upon how much money he put in the bank. Which if he did. That’d be freakin awesome!

4 Likes

It is the same thing for comp and I haven’t played a close game in years (I mean, 1 of 10 games is probably a close one).

3 Likes

I also wanted to mention , that it WOULD be an insane amount of money. Because they are banking on each title to be worth at LEAST 3.6 Billion each.

That is on an EVEN Spread across all titles. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Just too many alt accounts now, and then on top people buying old accounts, and mixed in are console refugees, and cross-play players. I just leave games now with more than one console account on my side, it’s just too much drag.

6 Likes

Yeah, it’s really bad. I can only assume that it has to do with the matchmaking pool not being wide enough to accommodate evenly balanced/level appropriate games. Or as close to it as possible.

There are many times where I’ll get a smurf on my team, who is clearly very low level, and they perhaps had a couple of good games. But for some reason that makes them eligible to be thrown in to a lobby with a bunch of gold, plat, and diamond portrait players.

At that point you just hope for the best. And even when you get level appropriate players on your team, it feels like a coin flip oftentimes as to whether or not things will go smoothly. It’s very mentally draining to say the least.

I literally have to listen to music in between quick play matches now. It’s the only way I can keep my sanity, barely. Lol.

3 Likes

Starting to think 2-2-2 ruined QP because they had to lessen MMR gap which led the matchmaker to put any player together minus less players playing is another factor

8 Likes

I decided to learn ball so what I do is wait for a game where we are rolling the other team then switch to ball, on whom I am very bad. The funny thing is, we still win. The teams are so mismatched that when I switch to a hero on which I am effectively throwing the steamroll continues.

I can see how the MM can’t take account of which heroes you will choose and so on, but having me count as 0.5 (at best) of a player on our team and we still steamroll just doesn’t look good. This happens almost every time I switch to ball - I can end a game with only 1 or 2 elims and we still win.

3 Likes

Also the game only backfills someone in at the same time someone else leaves

1 Like

I thought we could turn that feature off. i just never looked into it.

I’m console, and my block list always fills up with bad pc players. It’s mostly user error, not hardware.

Lately? It has been unraveling at the seams for a solid 3 years, when smurfs started becoming an insanely huge problem.

8 Likes

I play QP exclusively and I haven’t noticed it being especially “stompy.” Sure they happen, but they happen in every online game I’ve ever played. I wonder if this is more prominent at a particular MMR range.

2 Likes

maybe I just suck bad enough I don’t really notice unless it is excessively bad…

just had a match, everyone was high level, except my healers level 16 and 15, and they werent smurfs lol.

the mmr should put all level 50 and below in their own QP bracket. there are CLEARLY enough and they seem to drift to tanks and heals (flex prolly) that que times for them would be fine.

2 Likes

It’s because nobody is playing anymore. So the matchmaking just forces a bunch of golds and masters into the same games just to keep the queue times at somewhere below 10 minutes for those who queue DPS without priority passes

What I’d recommend is picking up “Winrate Sink Heroes” that you pick whenever the match is clearly skrewed up and just walk towards the opponents on autopilot while trying to kill as many of them along the way as you can. Then whenever you clearly have a great team with players who make good picks and are clearly playing properly for a win; focus on the actual gameplay. That way you don’t get tilted from the horrible games while reaping the benefits of the actually playable games :slight_smile:

My worst winrates on this account on each role are 37/40/41% while the best ones are 65/81/64% with only the bottom 5 being sub 48%. This system works amazingly if you have a great game sense as I’m enjoying almost every game I play on my mains or flex picks, while since I’m focusing more on Youtube and Gladiatus while on loser’s queue and sinking winrates which is rather mundane on the gameplay part, they’re still entertaining because I’m having fun with other stuff :slight_smile:

Also don’t feel discouraged about this since it’s just QP :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well, because the Damage role doesn’t matter, all the Damage players are now playing Tank, incorrectly, and will immediately say “dps diff” (thinking that means the Damage role) when the Tanks themselves will throw and lose the game, because they don’t realize Tanks consistently have higher DPS than most Damage heroes.

3 Likes

Pretty much been like that since day one.

2 Likes

LOL - bro look - I can tell you when I play, and I have really bad players, at least 1/3 the time - they are on console. So, after a time, I got tired of it and quit pairing. Sorry if that hurts your sensibilities of “PC vs Console”. No question at least when I play that a consoler or two on your team is on average, a liability with a mix of PC when the other team only has PC players. Deal with it. For the number of them relative to PC, the bad players are unusually high.

I can tell you for a fact the ratio of even games to uneven is drastically different from when I came in right before the release of Moira.

Stupidly, console players can opt out entirely from cross-play, but PC players cannot… go figure… hence why I just leave now, it is my “opt out”. Empower yourself. The fact they did this in a one-sided fashion speaks volumes about how the play between the two is skewed.

1 Like

I thought console players (especially Switch) were actually at a disadvantage when playing with PC players due to limited framerates and resolutions. I don’t get why they would put themselves through that type of pain. That being said I don’t console game at all so what do i know? :stuck_out_tongue: