What is the science behind "warming up"?

Why can’t you play to your full potential right off the bat in games like this?

Do you have a section in your brain for each hero’s kit, and they’re not connected, but when you start playing them, you slowly “charge” these sections up with temporary brain juice and they start interconnecting with other sections for like a couple of hours

5 Likes

Well, one thing I know for certain is that exercising before you’re going to play comp that day helps a LOT. Personally I do swimming and if I ever have morning training then play OW later that day I feel so much more awake and can do so much better.

However a game or two of QP or some sort of aim trainer helps from my experience. Not as much as getting in some good exercise, though!

Sorry not much “science” here, just speaking from my experience xD
(I just realized I barely answered this threads question at all… sorry about that xD)

For in game warming up, I’d assume it’s because you’re just tired and/or not used to the game yet.

From a quick google search though, this could explain why exercise helps!

Exercising regularly is one of the easiest and most effective ways to reduce the symptoms of ADHD and improve concentration, motivation, memory, and mood. Physical activity immediately boosts the brain’s dopamine, norepinephrine, and serotonin levels—all of which affect focus and attention.

3 Likes

Its a tune up, like anything else. Human body in general operates on a ‘use it or lose it’ principle, hence the age olde saying of one getting rusty (out of practice). Some areas decay faster than others, while others are so commonly in use, and/or integral, it would take a concerted effort, or tragic misfortune to see them wither away.

But if you do something/work with something long enough, the knowledge/understanding of it will eventually get burned into long term memory. It won’t really go away, but might need some priming/tuning to get you back up to snuff.

6 Likes

Most male brains are structured to have higher levels interconnections within a brain hemisphere, and less connections between brain hemispheres.

And a lot of the “zoning in”, is mostly shutting down brain activity in the less used brain hemisphere.

3 Likes

the laws of physics. why cant a car just instantly go from 0 to 120. the body is kinda like a engine.

Brain juices are like other, uh, juices.

They, uh, flow better nervous chuckle after you, uh, warm them up.

sweaty

2 Likes

Muscle memory.

4 Likes

Do you mean like playing QP before Comp… or aim training before even booting up Overwatch???

I ask before I get to far ahead of myself

Are you asking why people warm up for things?

Stay in school.

4 Likes

It’s actually a really interesting aspect of human psychology that whole sub majors focus on so …

4 Likes

So, stay in school is applicable? Lol.

For DPS anyways, its more about muscle memory.

The days I’d have my best games were when I’d have gone running in the morning!! :smiley:

1 Like

I’m asking why our brains need to warm up and why we can’t perform at 100% carry-potential from match 1

Like I’ll try to play my main as my first match of day, and even tho Im performing muscle memory shots, they aren’t landing and everything feels “floaty” until I’ve played the game for like 30 min

1 Like

I rely on pure momentum to be good in this game. If I don’t get the ball rolling somehow I won’t be performing as well.

1 Like

Widowmaker is a good example of this for me.

If I land a couple of good shots, I’ll carry THAT round on Widow. If I miss some really easy ones I start to panic and spiral out of control… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s how I am with Hanzo. Depending on the start of the match I’m going to be flicking headshots left and right, slamming in great dragonstrikes, and pressuring the tanks with storm arrows. Or I’m going to miss literally every single shot and be forced to switch because I feel bad for my team.

1 Like

Yes, and I’m telling you, go to school to learn about it. Or use google.

1 Like

I have like 400 hours on Hanzo and well over 150 hours on him in aim trainers so he’s pretty much my reliable hero. (also my favorite :stuck_out_tongue:)

• Yeah I know I’ve played this game too much :frowning:

I only have 126 (the last time I checked) on Tracer
And the rest are below 100

I feel better playing Tracer then any other DPS hero… Cause I don’t play every DPS hero everyday

But I can play almost every Tank except for D.Va, Ball, Roadhog and Sigma (it’s probably due to the fact that I don’t play those heroes every day

I have no idea, but that might be because I’m the opposite somewhat.

The more I play, the worse I get. After a hiatus I come back stronger than ever, every time.

5 Likes