What is the role of MMR in Diamond+?

Since PBSR has been removed, what is the purpose of MMR being distinct from SR at Diamond+ ranks?

Basically, what I’m asking is what is the functional purpose of MMR in ranks where you gain/lose the same SR regardless of individual performance?

Here are two thoughts I can think of:

Scenario 1: If your MMR is higher than your SR, the game will match you against opponents of similar SR and MMR to give you the dreaded 50/50 chance.

Scenario 2: If your MMR is higher than your SR, the game will match you against opponents of similar SR and lower MMR in order to increase your chance of winning in order to try and bump your SR up to what your MMR is. (And vice-versa if your MMR is lower than your SR.)

In my extremely limited and biased opinion, if scenario 2 were in place, it would explain the prevalence of streaks and their impact on the sorts of teams you are placed with. When I went on a pretty large upswing from 3000-3750, I found those games quite easy to win, as if the game was saying “yeah this guy needs to be higher, lets give him enemies of lower MMR to beat.” And when I went on a substantial loss streak (as you can see via my profile, which I’m slowly recovering from) I found my enemies to be significantly tougher and my allies to be…kind of worse.

Are 3700s of S12 worse than 3300s of S13? Is it luck? Is it MMR?

We probably won’t get confirmation, but it’d be interesting to hear others’ thoughts and experiences.

1 Like

from my understanding SR means absolutely nothing. If you disconnect and your team ends up winning, you will loose SR but actually gain MMR. not sure about this though

Neither. Players are matched by MMR. SR has nothing to do with it.

The reason that MMR exists above 3000+ is so that players can get matched fairly after they have decayed.

See How Competitive Skill Rating Works (Season 13) → Rank Decay and the references.

While you are at it, read the summary and forget most of what you think you know about how SR and MMR interact.

2 Likes

MMR in Diamond+ is primarily for decay and disconnecting. It also provides a way to match people together in a way that aims for a balanced match (as the name would imply). It would be pure chaos if a GM player came back to a decayed account and then played with and against Diamonds. MMR is able to prevent that kind of thing from happening.

1 Like

huh? SSR is visible MMR for competitive. The only time MMR matters in competitive is when you’re doing your very first placements or have not played in very - very long time.

MMR is what determines your games, SR is purely a reward system.

When you decay, your SR drops making it take much longer to rank up, but your MMR is unchanged, so you get matched in the same games.

SR was just put in place t control and divide players.

It’s surprising to see how many people still believe MMR is only for decay and placement.
MMR is the REAL RATING of a player, it is publicized as the “equalizer” of a match but its purpose is not to find player at the real same level, but finding relatively high skilled player and shuffle them with relatively low skill players, trying to do the same for the opponents team the match will appear “balanced” to Blizzard.
In a competitive environment where certain heroes are braindead and extremely easy to play, MMR don’t have a far chance to give a real balance to a match. That’s why every serious ow players perfectly knows that 80% of matches is poor quality regardless of winning/losing.
MMR exists in every tier, not only above 3k, the only difference below is SR performance gain.
MMR is heavily STAT BASED and its loss/gain is probably still affected by performance.
Wonder yourself how can Blizzard handle Smurfs, there is absolutely no way but checking their stats and comparing them to the relative tier to understand if a player really belong to that.
MMR is actually one of the most cancerous feature hiding in ow, because it something that will never work as intended until a roleQ system will be indroduced in the game.

1 Like

Source of the bolded?

His imagination. Like everyone else who spouts that nonsense.

1 Like

“For example, microtransaction engine 128 may identify a junior player to match with a marquee player based on a player profile of the junior player. In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game…Microtransaction engine 128 may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the highly skilled sniper.” - Kotaku on activisions patent on a lootbox focused amtchmaker algorithm.

Essensially scrub based matchmaking - new players matched with experienced players so they get a boost and, in case of the patent, buys some gambling boxes.

The more you play the worse you’re treated.

I know activision has said they havent implemented this in any games, but in 2018 who in their right mind will believe any AAA publishers being anything but greedy and sinister? Not me. Guilty until they prove themself innocent because too many coorporations have shat where they eat and I view everything the rest of them do as smelly and filled with excrement untill I know for a fact that it isn’t.

Cool story bro. Too bad lootboxes don’t provide any edge in this game. So it doesn’t apply even if it was the case.

woosh and 20 bleeding characters

Playing thousands of hrs plus having a brain is enough to understand something that constantly runs under your nose.

For example you discover a lot of things when you try to force things and see what happens after (2 accounts wasted for this). I believe what I see and what I test, not the fairytales Blizzard like to tell.