What is the reason why Hanzo can melt tanks?

Must be a Hanzo main.

Literally nobody thinks the hero is remotely balanced except people who play him.

He has bloated mobility, bloated damage, and no defined role.

13 Likes

This is one of the most important things to remember. Using bubble too early is so often the difference between a won and a lost duel. Having that bubble to dance around when you are closer to half/or low Hp is so vital

1 Like

Literally do not touch the hero. Despise playing as him. And for reference I play Sym Brig Mercy the most.

I think he’s fine personally. Don’t see the issue.

No he doesn’t. It’s not even close to great mobility. No he doesn’t it’s just good damage like most of the dps roster has. And his role is very clearly midrange sniper. Playing similar ranges to Bap

2 Likes

Hanzo suffers from the fact that I don’t think Blizzard knows what they want him to be. He used to be more sniper oriented, but he was an actual joke to go against since once dove he has a single unreliable scatter arrow to protect him and that was it.

They decided to give him leap (which I agree with) to help with this. The issue is they kind of jumped the gun a bit with storm arrows. They could have easily balanced out scatter and it would have been way less oppressive, since you can’t just slam it into a crowd and farm accidental headshots like storm arrows.

He still retains his sniper mechanics (the one shot), but they moved him to mid range and closer as a effective fighting range. Slowing down his arrows, giving him more mobility, and a shoot fast button primed him up to switch niches. Likely won’t see any changes until Overwatch 2, but I hope they actually decide what they want him to be.

1 Like

Heroes that excel at killing tanks should not also have long-range capabilities. They should strictly be close-quarters heroes with a high risk factor.

8 Likes

Yep, so if someone did 800 damage in a single low CD move, it wouldn’t be OP because damage can be negated, right? I mean, if Dva’s DM can eat it, there’s negation. You just need to anticipate the damage, obviously.

Negation will always be a thing. However, there is a reasonable threshold for how much burst damage a hero can do. Hanzo can melt a tank, full-0, in under a second if he lands even a single headshot. That is WELL past the reasonable threshold for burst damage.

You also seem to put a lot of stock in defensive abilities. If you drain all your defense blocking storm arrows, what’s there to block flash + fan or echo’s beam or soldier’s helix?

He doesn’t get free damage. Agreed. But burst damage itself needs to be toned down, not just from Hanzo.

I have, and always will, hate this argument. Hanzo’s storm arrows are a 10s cd, which is fairly low. But his lunge is 5s. Waiting out that CD is almost impossible.

Even then, what if Hanzo figures out that you’re not diving because you’re waiting for him to storm, and then holds it for when you do dive? You play this giant game of chicken where you are not allowed to dive him and he’s still getting a lot of value shooting without storming. No, denying him that move is nowhere NEAR the value of him denying you the ability to dive.

My point is this: The arguments you’re making do NOTHING to show that the current values are actually balanced and in-line. You could apply your rationalization to any argument, no matter how ridiculous the numbers.

I agree it’s not all doom-and-gloom, but tanks having low TTKs is one of the major issues and frustration points for tank players at all levels, and particularly in high-level play.

Tank busting abilities need to be toned down.

13 Likes

So you admittedly don’t play tank?

Got it.

Makes sense why you don’t think he’s a problem.

You see, with how few tank players the game actually has, only those of us who queue it endlessly for hours daily understand the issues with heroes like Hanzo, Echo, Doomfist, Torb and Mei. Because we take more abuse than anyone else from them.

But because you just never really have to deal with them, you think it’s easy to just reserve all your cooldowns for that one hero when there’s 5 others on the field. Maybe if you’re on support or DPS you can do that, but tank? Not so much.

But unless you main it (few do) you don’t get it.

2 Likes

So if we’re putting aside defensive abilities how much do you want healing to be nerfed.

it is not 1 shot per second

That would be OP.
Except that’s not the ability we are discussing. We are discussing Storm Arrows something that does reasonable damage especially when you consider it can be partially or completely negated due to how much damage it deals.

It’s not breaking any massive thresholds where it destroys winston D.va burns through bubble and outlasts matrix.

can and will are different.

Hanzo will miss shots, shots will be blocked, the timer can run out on storm arrows, he might not hit any headshots, other defensive cooldowns like Bubble and fortify play into it.
Knockbacks can displace his shots. etc

he is not melting tanks from full-0 except in exceptional circumstances or bad play.

Then congratulations, you successfully dived into 2 heroes who will shred you.
This is where your team comes in. Defense matric, Brig shield, immortality field, healing, nade, hook.
You aren’t 1 little winston taking on a big world.

With just lunge his ability to duel a tank is gone. Storm arrows AND lunge enables it, you just gotta wait for one or the other. Or just use a co-ordinated dive because storm arrows and lunge isn’t enough to fend of a co-ordinated dive. This is why Dive shreds him, he has tools for one hero, not multiple.

Dive another target then.
it’s all mind games, if you’re making Hanzo hold storm arrows for just you, then you’re getting value from it too.
The game doesn’t revolve around killiing just hanzo.

Ok so 350 damage vs winston barrier. that’s half it’s health. How is that not reasonable for a 10s cooldown. When it takes 1s to even dish out that damage.
In that time Winston or whoever winston is enabling gets a lot of wiggle room and hanzo now has no cooldown to use on the person that wants to fight him.

Because those heroes aren’t the issue. The tanks are.
TO negate these tank busting heroes, you need to play a good tank synergy with the decent supports.
The problem being most ranks can’t use tank synergy because it’s been nerfed to the point it 's quite difficult to execute correctly. Because in the top ranks its oppressive and in low ranks it was fine, but you balance around the top so nerfs came.

Or I’m just saying use your cooldowns for the right things. Don’t block trash damage and utilise your tank synergies the best you can.

Often low ranks do devolve into these duels where winston should be saving his cooldowns for his ideal target. because no team is using synergies to their fullest and 1v1s matter quite a bit.

You would be correct.
It’s 1 shot per 1.25s. I just simplified my speech.

2 Likes

There is no way its about 1 second per shot

Imo its not Shot … Shot … Shot… Shot… Shot

its Shot Shot Shot Shot Shot

He can melt anyone, cause he is hot…

6 Likes

it’s what the wiki says.
0.75 charge time
0.5s recovery before you begin charging your next one (this doesn’t adjust if you spam arrows with elss charge either)

Unless you mean storm arrows which is 0.25s recovery and that takes 1s to use all of them.

But in my post where I said it was 1s I was referring to primary.

1 Like

LMAO.

It’s impossible to not block trash damage when that “trash damage” is a 125dmg projectile that cuts my HP in half if it hits my face.

From everything you’ve written it’s beyond obvious you simply don’t play tank.

Why I’m trying to convince you of anything at this point is beyond me.

1 Like

Way to avoid the core question he was asking

and Im think you were replying to OP talking about storm arrows…and I was talking about the storm arrows

1 Like

Because you seem to be forgetting that A. a lot of the value of storm arrows IS in that they can crit and are precise and B. that tank TTK IS an issue right now.

Cut all the fluff, and this is what it comes down to. Myself, and many other people believe that tanks are dying too quickly in the current game because of buffed damage and nerfed defenses. We believe that burst needs to be toned down because of this. (And Storm Arrows is a perfect example of this powercreep–the move is now much faster than it used to be, and it didn’t even used to exist)

If you disagree and think tank TTK ISN’T a problem, fine. Me, I think a single DPS hero having the capability to shred a tank in under a second is evidence of this issue. McCree and Echo are also fairly good examples of the problem.

And a side note? Your winston shield argument sucks. Hanzo will have already deployed most of his arrows in the time it takes winston to drop his shield, and if Hanzo is in close range, the shield won’t stop the arrows.

Even in the magical world where the shield is at the perfect range for blocking it, YOU are forgetting about the rest of Hanzo’s team who can shoot through the barrier in almost no time whatsoever.

7 Likes

If you tone down burst then you need to tone down healing equally as much. This is coming from someone who plays every role.

Jeff Kaplan said multiple times the goal of the Hanzo rework was not to nerf him but to make him more “fair” and “fun” to play against. Despite saying that they’ve nerfed the base damage of each arrow and reduced the overall count.

It’s the opposite of powercreep.

The buff to the refire rate did not increase the damage of each arrow. You still get hit for the same amount.
That buff did primarily 1 thing which was allowing Hanzo to break thru healing a bit easier which was needed since ammo count + damage nerf

Also screw off with this “we” crap. I play Oris and Ball and I don’t fall into your camp. I’d rather see Dva and Rein nerfed before they touch Hanzo.

1 Like

I think burst healing needs to be toned down too tbh. Things like Zen/Lucio/Mercy aren’t nearly as much of an issue. Burst damage is king because meta healers like Bap/Ana can pump out so much healing that the only way to chew through a tank is to burst them down insanely quick.

3 Likes