What is the beam buff on PTR?

:sunglasses: WAIT DID I JUST BECOME MORE OPAF

4 Likes

This. With genji jumping around even if i was tracking him I would still so less damage than I was suppose to

I don’t see anything in the patch notes about a beam update, can anyone link the correct place please?

They weren’t buffed.

They were fixed.

Symmetra’s beam has been buggy for a while, due to a ‘fix’ Blizzard had put in to stop some people from exploiting the way Symm’s beam ramped up. It would cause you to not be able to ramp your beam if you lost your target for a super fraction of a second (like if you were tracking the edge of a Tracer).

Now they have FIXED it, and Symmetra’s beam is ramping as intended, which is letting her PERFORM HER ACTUAL FUNCTION.

:smiley:

I’m not really even sure how it affects Zarya’s beam since her damage is related to her charge and isn’t quite as dependent on accuracy as Symmetra is with her ramp up (I also don’t play Zarya so) but yeah.

It’s so far an undocumented bug fix.

because zarya wasnt overpowered enough. she has to oneshot everyone whoever touches her beam.

1 Like

Josh Noh replies around 30 or so down:

Nope, it only helps ticks when you miss, and Moira rarely does and her damage is unimpressive.

Ah okay, I thought they changed that ages ago. Which the devs said made no difference to Moira and said her damage is the same :sob::sob::sob:

lucky sym mains I’m jealous bye

Yeah it’s really just a fix for Symmetra because of the damage ramp. And it’s actually really nice to be able to engage in CQC with Symm and come out on top with your primary fire instead of having to dodge and charge your orb lol.

People are finally going to have to respect that beam, and Symm finally has a reason to use it.

:sunglasses: nobody will ever respect a beam coming from Sym or Moira, sad truth :frowning:

Literally their funeral :stuck_out_tongue:

Bruh, she is completely insane on PTR. :joy: When my team is getting stomped, I just swap to Sym and literally 1V6 the enemy team. I cut through them like paper and they’re utterly powerless to do anything about it.

Been having some chats in the matches about whether or not this is intended or a bug. Nobody can figure it out. It’ll be extremely interesting if she goes live like this… :sweat_smile:

“Fixed a bug that could cause damage to not be dealt if a damage dealing ability was rapidly gaining/losing targets, like a Zarya trying to track a fast moving hero”

its in the july 18 patch notes

2 Likes

people saying its not a buff when it clearly is if you’ve even played a second of PTR

1 Like

Wasn’t there some video where they just spammed the fire button so the button presses out-sped her tick-rate therefore increasing her damage by like A TON?

That was right after the Symmetra re-work, and it never made it off the PTR, but yeah. People were binding their scroll wheel on the mouse to primary fire, and rolling it over people and basically taking a 200hp character and deleting them in .5 seconds. It was nuts.

Sad part was, if you didn’t use the exploit, the beam felt really, really good. Once ramped up, you felt almost invincible, because you could melt people the way it was intended. Unfortunately, people with bad aim were seeing bonus damage from swinging the beam back and forth over their target, which would do an initial burst of damage. They weren’t intentionally exploiting the bug, but it was still happening.

Devs saw what was happening, and in a moment of stained underpants, slapped down a hamfisted ‘fix’ that pretty well much castrated the effectiveness of beam weapons, but most notably Symmetras in stage 1, to the point of it being pointless to use it unless you had a shield, or a fat target you could charge up on.

she’s the second worst hero in the game rn

how tf is she op this time

For clarity

Symmetra beam prior to beam changes on PTR. Video is not mine but illustrates beams problematic detection. New PTR change remedies this.

1 Like

i stopped playing 2 months ago. she was pretty op if you ask me.

This only affects hitscan like beams, right?

Not spray like beams like Moira’s healing spray and Meis freeze spray, rightl