What is it like being an MVP? Is it special? Or is it,,,

I imagine it’s somewhat stressful with the extra attention people give you whether through praise or attacks you get as you’ll be held to a higher standard. I guess it could be kind of fun having a little extra access to certain development people, but from how Wyoming describes it that doesn’t sound too special. I imagine it would only be really fun if you’re a total egoist.

2 Likes

That’s what I thought, but I’m sure they get some extra cool stuff…

I don’t really know if they really get much else and it’s up to Wyoming or another MVP to divulge if they do, but from what Wyoming has said in the past it seems like he has a more direct line to the tech support people and some some of the devs like Bill Warnecke who Wyoming has spoken to and got to know on a somewhat personal level it seems like. They also apparently once had a special MVP only forum, but that wasn’t really useful so I think Wyoming said they don’t have it anymore or don’t really use it at least.

All it does is put a spotlight on you and give you green text, which is actually almost the primary reason it makes you stand out. Other than that, not much. They just did it out of respect to his contributions.

1 Like

They don’t directly get any special permissions that I’m aware of. The MVP program is just a way to add visible credibility (mostly via colored text) to posters who consistenty try to provide thorough and accurate information in a particular category.

Forum MVPs are simply recognized for their contributions to the forum community. The green text is simply Blizzard’s way of saying “hey pay attention to this guy and consider what he has to say”, that being said any “opinions” of mine are still my own and do not represent Blizzard Entertainment. To be more specific, I am a tech support MVP, which means I help those with disconnections and troubleshooting crashes in Overwatch.

We are not technically compensated for the work we do on the forums. Occasionally we get a nice gift every now and then, and not counting pandemics ongoing, I get free hugs at events like BlizzCon where I meet some of the Blizzard Team Members who I am happy to say are friends to me.

For me personally, I do what I do because people like my efforts to help them enjoy the game more. And a lot of what I do goes way beyond the scope of the MVP program. Projects like @dropswatch on Twitter, my Developer Post Directory project, and the Streaming Rewards Troubleshooting Guide have been hugely popular and I am happy to keep doing them as long as I have the free time. Things may change for me, as I graduate from college in the next two weeks, and there may be opportunities for me that may require me to step away from my efforts here, but until that happens I intend to remain dedicated to support Overwatch where I can as a player.

7 Likes

Thx man a lot, the world could always use more heros.

1 Like

That’s really cool! Also, I know this is a bit off topic, but where is blizzcon normally held?

I am not a moderator. I do have some means to directly alert Blizzard of extremely bad posts (like real life threats), but I flag posts like everyone else.

Moderators will be those with a little shield icon next to their name, and will be in blue (Blizzard Rep) or orange (Overwatch Developer) text here on the Overwatch Forums.

Not exactly, we have to try to follow both the in-game Code of Conduct and the forum Code of Conduct more carefully, and I know I have not always succeeded in every single action. I am bound to a non-disclosure agreement, but it’s more of a Blizzard Rep saying…

3 Likes

I can ask for permission for a post to be pinned. I try to keep it strictly related to help other players when I ask for one of my own posts to be pinned, and sometimes I see thread that is created by someone else that deserves to be pinned if I think they have a broad scope of providing for the community.

2 Likes

Here on the forums, we are going to get flammed, but we have thick skin. If you think this is bad, some of my friends in the WoW forums goes through a lot more dirt than what any of you will ever dig up.

3 Likes

WyomingMist is my hero…

FREE HUGS!

3 Likes

Burbank California I think

1 Like

Ah, okay, I just started Overwatch 2019 so I wouldn’t know.

BlizzCon is normally hosted at the Anaheim Convention Center in Anaheim, California right across the street from Disneyland. It is about an half-hour’s drive from Blizzard’s HQ in Irvine (pending traffic of course). This year, the convention is entirely online and will be free to watch for everyone! (Click here for details)

Google Photos

1 Like

Burbank is on the opposite side of Los Angeles, but that is where the Blizzard Arena was formally located before they ended their lease at the Burbank Studios earlier this year.

Google Photos

1 Like

My mistake then, not sure why I thought of that.

It’s a common mistake. I have been mistaken as an official representative quite often because I try to maintain somewhat of a professional demeanor here on the forums… mostly.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s anything special - you have a few more privileges and are generally expected to be more presentable but that’s about it