What is 'cool' about new Symmetra? Why do people play her?

A bent fork is unique too, but you don’t want any of your forks bent.

7 Likes

I really like Symm 3.0. Symm 2.0 and 1.0 just did not appeal to me. It felt more like a sedantary playstyle that was only viable on offense. New Symm feels really good in that you can dish out a heck of a lot more damage, and is more mobile.

However, I still stand by the fact that she needs a buff.

very subjective
but objectivly she’s stronger

1 Like

I love new Sym. She can re-deploy turrets mid-fight and she’s an absolute barrier melter. She’s much more interesting than just “try to auto-lock somebody and follow them around” now.

2 Likes

I love playing Symm no matter what version of her it is.

I have my gripes with 3.0, but overall I find her to be better than 2.0 in most ways. Flying turrets and her secondary are much better now.
If her tp would deploy faster/ less clunky I’d be pretty happy with her.

3 Likes

Shes more viable in general fights now but so souless. I play her because i love the character even if they butchered her identity.

9 Likes

Her beam is far more enjoyable and satisfying to use now that it requires some aim.
Melting shields while your ammo reloads feels great.
Those times when you master the art of cat herding and you sneak your team around to take a point feels fantastic.
Turrets are still turrets, but is always worth a giggle when people are too lazy to kill them.
Her shield ult is nice even if it doesn’t have a noticeable offensive impacts like most other DPS have. Putting that up can be a massive boost in taking or defending a point.

Symm 1.0 had the effective use of a swiss army knife. It could do nearly everything, but nothing even decently.

Symm 2.0 was how to better Primary Fire. Not in range of Primary Fire? Secondary Fire. Barrier to get closer to Primary Fire. Shield Gen to more consistently Primary Fire.

Symm 3.0 is at least a builder. Most things in her kit is about manipulating the map. Area Denial, Access to other parts of the map, and changing cover.

3.0 can use a few tweaks, some QoL changes, and bug fixes, but I like it way more than a lazy, pseudo, melee character.

Her beam is garbage now that it requires aim considering Sym lost survivability and didnt win meaningful range. Her beam was a way to counter her lack of survivability AND range, but now its just a mediocre, risky and slow tank buster because good luck killing a Tracer with it.

Her role became so much worse now that she lost the ability to outduel flankers. She is basically a big ??? in what her role is supposed to be aside enabling cheesey TP strats and (riskly) punishing lone Reinhardts.

3 Likes

I love Satya “Symmetra” Vaswani, the character, i really do.
I keep playing her because i love her so much, but it’s true, the new Symm kit is not as good as Symmetra 2.0

and fundamentally flawed from the ground up

i picked symmetra up in beta because she was a support summoner
that’s what i always pick in games, healers, buffers, or summoners

she lost her ability to buff, and she was never a healer

she still creates constructs, and while she doesn’t “buff”, she still offers utility from the teleporter and barrier

and now she’s better than she was before overall due to functional mechanics rather than busted feast or famine mechanics

she still needs help, but she’s overall better

Like several other characters, if your team works with you, she can help a lot like positioning wise. However, if you select her, someone in your team will always be tilted.

the only unique thing she lost was the auto lock beam.
The barrier was kinda bad except for yourself.

Tele on attack Hanamura A, or Horizon A

Switch off after taking it.

It was annoying to say the least? Barrier was actually pretty decent to support your teammates. But overall, her rework raised her skill floor significantly. That’s the problem. Other new heroes like Ashe has considerably lower skill floor to be honest.

As a D.Va main who actually does miss hunting down and destroying old Symmetra’s telelporters and shield generators (and even Junkrat’s nagging voice line), I admit I love having this new Symmetra on my side. A good Symmetra regularly places teleporters that I make use of to supplement my boosters for additional mobility. Better Symmetras know to place their teleporters when hit by Graviton Surge and alert their team to use them to escape. But by far my favorite Symmetra players have to be those that know how to combo with me to teleport my D.Va bombs behind our unsuspecting foes. Oops! did I just fat-finger my bomb without boosting again like a noob…? :smirk:

And that is just what I like about her teleporter. Her new wall has been invaluable in holding points when the team needs a clutch shield to hide behind or dance around, especially when the main tank needs additional help or goes down.

New Symmetra is my least favourite version of her due to the lack of uniqueness in her kit. Her lock-on made her reliable and fun but now it’s a lot harder!

But I still play her because she’ll always be Symmetra, my favourite hero who really got me into the game properly.

But I’d prefer 2.0…

They should really give us an arcade mode where you can play different versions of heroes. That way they can keep the balanced/ more viable ones in the main game, and let people play the heroes they originally fell in love with. Or at least let us use it in custom games.

my gripe is that her primary requires more aim than any other gun to be effective, to the point of impracticality.
The ramp up buffs helped quite a bit.

I only wish she had slightly more mobility with tp, but i see why devs are cautious with buffing it.

1 Like

That’s what I’ve always wanted! They could call it “Olderwatch” or something and we can play:

Old Bastion (with shield)
Old Symmetra (2.0)
Old Mercy (Ressurect Ultimate)
Old Torbjörn (Armour!)
Old Hanzo (Simple geometry)
Etc, what a fun game mode for arcade!

3 Likes