What is a smurf?

I’ve stoppped encountering hardly any many smurfs once I climbed to silver in OCE as support. Now, I’m going through the same thing all over again trying to climb to silver as tank. I’m currently 955SR as tank and I’ve already encountered countless gold and higher ranked smurfs when I started off from 600SR.

A smurf is generally a person that can’t handle a fair fight, so he buys a new account every time it gets rough so he can trick the MMR system to put them into a fight where they can flatten those inexperienced players. They’re often also seen in MMOs in world PvP ganking players lower than their levels because that’s basically the only way they can “own” someone.

Fixed

1 Like

Smurf is someone who is deliberately using gameplay mechanics to lower their MMR so that they’re able to play with worse players. Remove the active part of doing something with the account and replace it with playing normally and that’s the definition of an Alt Account

Yes, they also like to hang out in bronze and make everyone upset.

Making a new account to intentionally play in a lower rank and dominate is still wrong and still smurfing. It’s only less bad because the amount of games ruined is less than if they had to throw games to get down in the first place. They aren’t doing anybody any favors either. The only reason they aren’t throwing games is because it’s tedious and unfun to do so. Nobody wants to sit in 100 games intentionally losing. It’s so much easier and efficient to just pay $20 and hop on an account that was already leveled up to 25 for them. It should be a bannable behavior, but Blizzard doesn’t care because they view accounts sold as $ rather than putting emphasize on the gameplay experience.

2 Likes

I don’t blame u for not seeing em, they’re pretty small blue dudes

2 Likes

It is public but doesn’t show your rank.

Overbuff, however, has you at 3502 from a ‘previous season’.

Overbuff has OP at 3502 in a previous season, they did say they don’t play comp regularly anymore, sooooo…

All games have definitions that differ slighty. Blizzard takes the position that a smurf is someone who purposefully deranks to play against worse opponents. Frankly, I think this definition is way to lenient.

I would say a smurf is anyone who starts a new account for the sole purpose of climbing again in a competitive game, or someone who purposefully deranks. If someone makes a new account for their own fun they are going to screw with the matchmaker. As well as be placed against people they shouldn’t be fighting.

Long thread for “I don’t notice as many smurfs in my OW games as some random guys on a forum claim to see.” :smirk:

2 Likes

its someone who is exploiting the mmr system to group against lesser skilled opponents i guess but it is hard to tell sometimes and if someone beats you soundly it doesnt meat they are ALWAYS smurfs. some people just cant handle defeat

hate to break it to you but most ppl are hardstuck. again, there is no conspiracy keeping you from ranking up

1 Like

Smurfs are born losers.

I assume every bronze border account in plat/diamond or higher is a smurf (or alt account at the very least) at this point. I doubt many truly new players are buying a 6 year old game.