What I would like to see in Overwatch 2

With the announcement and new cinematic for Overwatch 2, I was completely over the moon! Overwatch was my very first FPS, and Ive enjoyed every minute of playing it, however the lore was always my favorite part. When I heard the second iteration of Overwatch would be more story themed, two things crossed my mind: 1) Why am I crying right now, and 2) what will we get/see from Overwatch 2?

Gameplay from streamers at blizzcon gave me most of the answers I needed, however it spawned more questions than I would care to admit.
Like I said before, ive always been really into the lore, and I am very grateful for the new update/release but I cant help but hope for more. Below are some things I really would love to see in this universe in general, and I hope you readers could see my view too.

Skin Re-designs)
I LOVE all of the redesigns of each character we saw in the short, but one thing I feel like worth mentioning is how little some characters got and how much more other characters got. A big example of this is Genji’s redesign. First off, hes finally not in the nude anymore, (yay!) So he and Hanzo are both rocking the edgy jacket look. However, I am a little sad that heroes like Winston and Brig didnt get much of a change. Given though, Brig is a newer hero and wasn’t really due for a change, but I wished we could of seen more with Winston. From what ive seen, his concept was mostly cleaned up and simplified, but I could be (and probably am,) wrong. This stirs the question of what can we expect at a minimum from the re-designs, and will every hero be getting a new look? I am glad though that all, or some, of our heroes, are getting new designs, simple or not, they still look pretty awesome.

LORE Galore)
Lore. The foundation of the game we call Overwatch. In the OW2 gameplay short, we get a LOT of new details about where everyone currently is in the Over-universe. Apparently Genji left zenyatta for unknown reasons, and a similar zenyatta-looking ominic seemed to be working with Doomfist. Of course, the big details are very much more relevant than the everyday lives of each character, but personally, I would like to see a little more of everyones personality beyond the battlefield. Theres something just so appealing about seeing a legendary hero do something as simple as reading a book or watching a movie. I think what makes it so appealing is being able to relate to them, or sort of being “like them” in some way. Its very hard to explain, but I cant help but smile and laugh when I see a hero I love living life like an average, ordinary person, no matter how tragic their backstory is. I mean seriously, Jeff, you have created some of the most iconic and loveable characters out there and we want to be able to see more of them. I personally do not enjoy waiting for a new short to come out, and the feeling of happiness and amazement drains after watching the same thing over and over again. I would love to see some more comics and storys, heck, even some weekly ‘canon’ art of characters interacting/doing typical stuff ect. Maybe not even long comics, just little 3-5 panel stories about a random occurance someone experienced, or a pivotal point in their development or something. Or for instance, something simiar to the doomfist short with classic 2D animation and a funny twist or whatever. Point is, JEFF KAPLAN, WE WANT MORE CHARACTER MOMENTS!!! We adore your work but we hate having to wait for months to see more of it beyond gameplay!

Extras)
We’ve discussed skins, and lore, but this section is gonna elaborate more on some of the ideas Ive mentioned before, but this time Im going to be less objective and more biased with my opinions; pardon me

An idea I had mentioned was weekly art. By weekly art I mean overwatch concept designers/artists making their own little storys with pictures that are true in the story. Another thing about this idea, what if blizzard did weekly art contests within the development team or with the fanbase? I would love to see that personally. And maybe the winner got lootboxes or their art made into a spray or something.
Branching off of this idea, I did also talk about small, mini comics, or quick cartoon shorts of each character. Blizzard, Ive said this before, but I adore seeing my favorite heroes doing relatable, cute, average things that any other one of us would do. It strengthens our bond and love for these heroes, and allows a lot more creative freedom. Secondly, comics and shorts aren’t required to be completely central to the main plotline, and, like I said, we want more relatable character moments, so if that means just a quick 2 panel comic of Junkrat discussing science with Mei, we will take it.
Finally, Im asking for equel spotlight of each character/equel importance of roles. What I mean is, dont have one character make a really big sacrifice that is the sole reason for a victory or something: let everyone have an equel contribution to the plot.

And before I close this article, I want to thank you for taking the time to read this. I really appreciate being heard, and your consideration of my opinions is far more than I could of ever asked for. Thank you readers.

3 Likes

It’s the worst possible ship. I will delete my account if that ever happened.

10 Likes

I don’t ship but since you clearly don’t like one , what other you like? I am interested in others’ opinions.

Genji and mercy is cute but unethical in a way

3 Likes

Shipping is something I never hope to see in canon. The idea of romance between playable characters irks me.

5 Likes

I hope the PvE missions aren’t
 limited. Like we only get 10 and that’s it. I hope they develop more. I hope story actually progresses with them.

1 Like

I only ship what is canon . . . and since nothing is canon yet (although Genji/Mercy is strongly hinted at), I don’t ship.

5 Likes

If there’s any ship that has a chance at being canon, it’s most likely genji and mercy.

also pretty sure that hanzo and mccree would hate each other if they ever met

but pls, in overwatch 2, if we have genji and mercy on a mission together, and they decide to actually make it canon, make it believable, storm rising is not believable lmao

2 Likes

What I’d like is diversity in the period and the groups we play. I hope we will not be only playing “present Overwatch members” during the story missions; but that we’ll also have some flashback missions.

I want to see what happened when the Swiss HQ was destroyed and Morrisson and Reyes considered dead. I’d love to play some Blackwatch missions, or maybe even some happening during the first omnic crisis. Getting the villains’ perspective during Talon missions could be great too. I hope that all the characters will be included and playable in the story missions.

I want to know the details of Overwatch’s story from its creation and learn about its downfall.

Also, maybe not always having teams of 4 players, but sometimes 2 or 3 would allow more liberty in the story that is told, and the way it is played (infiltration?).

And I agree I’d like the comics to come back too, or more short stories like Soldier’s and Baptiste’s.
I don’t really like the weekly contest art idea. The lore should be something they take time to think then to validate, not something they force themselves to publish each week.

2 Likes

I by ships I mean all kinds of relationship: love, friendship, brotherhood, parenthood etc.
And there are cannons which we cannot deny in official lore. But in our own little stories we can make whatever we want.

1 Like

other than the mchanzo thing i agree!! :^D tbh i don’t think many ships would work out, but i respect it uwu

I really, REALLY need that Hero mission with Zenyatta and Genji co-op on Shambali monastery that comes under attack by Talon/Null Sector. So we can see more of the monastery, more of Zenyatta’s abilities (make harmony and discord canon), more interactions and banter between the student and master, how they fight together (and none of that lame “lol ur not supposed to fight” from genji) and potential drama and action when they have to defend the monastery from threats.

Please. Just give Zenyatta lore. :sob:

(I also want to see Dva and meka squad defend Busan from Null sector, possibly with the help of Overwatch and meka squad can either be npc or playable characters. Give Dva’s pve meka attribute where she can fly indefinitely and make it a flying mission with a team based around flying. Dva/Mercy/Echo/Pharah.)

3 Likes

I’d like replayable missions with Retribution style (both art and mechanics). Fortunately I’ve already seen some cutscenes in the gameplay trailer that look like the continuation of Retribution (the short part between genji’s and doomfist’s appearance).

• Very high difficulty levels
  • Well though out NPC classes and bosses (and combining them well to create interesting/difficult situations). I found this part to be very good in Retribution and missing in Uprising.
  • Being able to play the missions with “all heros” settings if the default heros aren’t as good as the Retribution Blackwatch team (classic archetypes with orthogonal skills: hitscan+shotgun+melee+healer)

Interestingly I’ve met a few people who’s favourite was Uprising (that I found quite boring) so I started thinking about the difference between Uprising and Retribution:

• Uprising is much like a tower-defense like game where you have survive for a fix period of time (often in an open area).
  • In Retribution you similarly receive a constant flow of minions but you often have complex terrain/buildings/covers to hide and instead of a time limit someone has to get out of cover and somehow eliminate a very powerful set of elites (snipers/assassins/heavy-bosses) to be able to proceed.
1 Like

Regarding the hero redesigns, it looks like they just haven’t got to a lot of heroes yet. Watching the push gameplay shows that Reinhardt, Winston, LĂșcio, Tracer, Genji, Mercy, and Mei have a little “2” next to their portraits in the selection screen, which I suspect means that they’re the only ones whose redesigns have been finalized. The game still has a ways to go until it’s finished, and I’m pretty sure Jeff said every hero will get a new look by the time it comes out

2 Likes

What I want to see in Overwatch 2: Pharah get a girlfriend :confounded::two_hearts:

1 Like

Gameplay-wise I did prefer Uprising to Retribution.
First because the ‘normal’ difficulty actually felt normal and not easy.
Second, I felt each player role separated which gave importance to each person, while in Retribution the three DPS roles were kind of blended.

Rein especially felt crucial. He had to charge the bombs, shield the payload from the dogs (or whatever they are called), charge the Bastions, protect Mercy when she rez
 Mercy had to heal while keeping safe, Tracer was the only one able to engage the Orisas ‘safely’ behind their shields thanks to her recall and blinks, and Torbjorn thanks to his ultimate was the only one able to contain a larege number of enemies becoming critical.

Each person had their specific job to do in osmosis with their teammates, which I didn’t find in Retribution that felt messier.

1 Like

Fair enough. In my opinion Retribution and Uprising are very different: attack VS defence. Effective defence is more sensitive to team composition even in PvP. I think we should get a decent number of missions from both types to satisfy everyone.

In case of 3 DPS attack it is somewhat harder to figure out how specialize for various “jobs” but it’s essential if the goal is reaching top completion time and score at higher difficulties. In retribution I had lots of fun by grouping up with others and creating/practising very effective “elimination choreographies” but some people would find that too repetitive.

1 Like

Oh that’s just everybody’s favorite evil accountant: Maximilien

2 Likes

The first story mission in Overwatch 2 is Rio De Janeiro which includes Reinhardt, Tracer, Mei and LĂșcio. The mission is like fuse of Uprising and Retribution. All 4 heroes have specific goals like in Uprising, and cinematics, bosses, (better) map interactions like in Retribution.

1 Like

I beg to differ, but I respect your opinion and I hope you can respect mine, although I am curious to what you thought about some other points if you dont mind