What happened to Demon Hunter Sombra?

I thought that Sombra skin was supposed to come in 2019 for people who didn’t want to shell out $50 for the Blizzcon ticket? The fact it’s still not available seems like a real jerk move on Activision’s part; even the Lucio Emote from the OWL Command Center became available for people who didn’t shell out for the Twitch bundle.

32 Likes

You shouldn’t treat legal disclaimers as a promise of immediate satisfaction. You’re not entitled to getting it in the first quarter of the year just because some fine print at the bottom of the page said it may be alternatively distributed in 2019.

There are eight and a half months left to go in the year, and there’s a significant chance that the alternative way of getting it will be part of a Diablo Immortal promotion or something.

11 Likes

2019 isn’t even 25% done yet…

my guess is you have to wait till around blizzcon

4 Likes

People reasonably assumed that the skin would come in January based on how in Jan '18 there was the inclusion of new Blizzard-themed skins. When that came and went, I think people forgot that the skin is still locked away due to a timed $50 pay window that has closed months ago.

It won’t come in the Archives event, meaning that the earliest they may remove that paywall is the Anniversary event in late May/early June, over half a year it was made available through the E-ticket.

That being said, I would not be surprised if Activision makes Blizzard do a cross-promotion with Immortal, thinking it would get people play.

6 Likes

Did they even said it will come in 2019?
“later” in blizzard’s language can also mean never. I am talking from the experience of a hearthstone player.

Also don’t expect it to be much cheaper even when it comes out.

The footnote was:

The in-game items for Overwatch, StarCraft II, and StarCraft: Remastered will also be available separately in 2019 – further details will be announced at a later date

So, yes, but it gave no information about when in 2019, or in what way they would be “available.”

6 Likes

I respect having a person with similar experiences chiming in

The minimum that could be considered fair would be putting it into either the Anniversary Lootboxes or the normal lootbox pool.

None of the previous Blizzcon skins are available after blizzcon so…

Fair to whom…? They’re not cheating you in any way if you don’t get the would-be BlizzCon exclusives for free mid-year.

If they had made some statement like “All players will receive Demon Hunter Sombra as soon as possible” and then didn’t, then sure, complain about that… but they did nothing of the sort.

4 Likes

In the case of the Winston and Bastion Skins was that they were more just re-colors/skins of existing ones. Demon Hunter Sombra qualifies as a Legendary skin with new assets.

If they do the same with the Sombra skin, it’ll set a new precedent

A very dangerous one.

4 Likes

This might interest you.

2 Likes

I’m not asking that it be given to all players for free, I’m saying that the bare minimum would be to put Demon Hunter Sombra into an event lootbox.

Yep, I’m just making a note that previous skins and goodies haven’t been available ever again. RIP Blizzcon Bastion skin…

1 Like

While my statement is meant to be neutral, you said exactly what I was thinking.

1 Like

That is correct. It should’ve stayed that way, imo, and I’m not even a guy that pays for it. I just think it’s a nice nod to give people that want to pay the ticket price some exclusive content in the form of a cosmetic.

2 Likes

I know what you’re saying. I’m saying that’s not the minimum at all.

They didn’t promise or even imply anything resembling that, so you’re just setting yourself up for potential/likely disappointment if you pretend they’re somehow obligated to do it.

3 Likes

But it can star a dangerous precedent for future cosmetics; didn’t pay $40 to watch an online panel at a convention? No skin for you.

It’s a case of greedy monetization that doesn’t even give the option of extreme grind to earn them.

I’m still waiting for it too.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a dangerous precedent… Blizz has done it for years with their other games. As long as the content doesn’t affect the gameplay experience in a meaningful way (limited to cosmetic stuff), I don’t take issue with it.

Edit: If anything, I might argue that it disincentivizes people to buy the virtual ticket - which would be a shame, imo.

1 Like