What exactly is the Caribbean Coalation?

I understand it’s the Caribbean islands joining together to fight in the Omnic crisis, but what about islands like Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands? They are United States territory, so they don’t have say in major political decisions to join forces with other countries individually. Unless the US is also a part of the Caribbean Coalition. How does the coalation work?

Also, can we get some lore on Cuerva? Where is he from? Is he still alive and with Talon? He seems like he could be an interesting Talon character to explore. And could possibly be the first Talon tank character.

You can find it on the Baptiste Q&A there, but not much more about the Coalition : Baptiste - Developer Q&A Answers

That quote doesn’t confirm or deny anything though,
Plus three current heroes were ‘presumed dead’ and look, we have soldier/Ana/reaper.

Yeah, they are not answering, I know =) I just wanted to send the link to the Q&A because it’s on the general forum, and some people from the story discussion never go there.

But yeah, I agree : the "was dead but actually not " hero is already overused.

1 Like

Technically Genji and Widow too. And somewhat Bastion.

Pretty sure the Coalition was more of a relief organization, that armed itself just in case. Might be wrong.

How does one find “lore” for Overwatch? Half of it is retconned and the other half is never told to us anyway

That’s an overexageration. If you want to find the lore, watch the shorts, read the comics, read the blog articles, and listen to the in game voice lines. What is stated or shown there is canon until proven otherwise, and retcon (while it does happen) is far from that common.

1 Like

Fairly certain there’s no lore stating she’s dead/dying, more just kidnaped and still missing (from The Ana vs Widow comic)

In that comic Ana says “we thought she was dead” before getting shot

3 Likes

Ah yep.
Right after the kidnap bit, my bad

Unfortunately though, voicelines are not canon.
Re: rein calling Reaper a traitor.

Was stated on the old forums

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20753735625#post-13

(To make it extra confusing: it gets a little more complicated in-game because we chose to have some non-canon interactions because I think it’s more interesting to have Reinhardt take out Reaper and say, “Traitor!” than to accurately reflect that he doesn’t know Reaper’s true identity. But as I’ve said before, events in game shouldn’t be considered strictly canon.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Overwatch/comments/6b63j3/ama_request_michael_chu/dhlepud?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x

To clarify about the Reaper/Reyes thing, yes it is because they have not met in the “current day” of Overwatch. The interactions in the game are meant to be what ifs. I do think that McCree would known that Reaper was Reyes if he encountered him.>

Some interactions are canon, some are not. For the most part, they represent what might happen if those two heroes met - Lucio and Mercy have never had a conversation about Lucio’s father inventing the sonic technology, but it’s still canon that he invented it.

2 Likes

Which is annoying as a statement because it means almost none can be taken as canon unless the story is already canon for the voiceline.
Since with that context they can make any/all other voicelines non canon or change it whenever since there isn’t a defined list for what is or isn’t canon when it comes to voicelines.

What’s not canon is what literally happened over the course of the conversation, as well as the events that they discuss will happen in the future. What is canon is any history that they discuss in the past, as they are what the characters would say in a given situation. It’s actually not confusing at all, it’s pretty straightforward. If you have some lines you are confused about as examples, you can ask about why they work as lines and what they mean, the rules are generally universal.

Basically in the end the Overwatch team has zero direction for where to go with the lore, and I’m certain it will be the year 2076 before we get the continuation of Winston’s recall

I just love that we can quote a higher up on the team saying the game is in its early stages of story development :))

On a game that’s about to go into its fourth year.

I’m surprised nobody higher up on the Overwatch team was let go in all of those 800 fired recently

1 Like

We should get Cuerva in two more heroes. He would be a pirate-esk hero, who would have a mini cannon for a primary. His ult could be and octopi, which slows opponents that step in it.

1 Like

Cuerva is MIA, presumed dead. There are more interesting characters to bring in than someone Baptiste killed.

1 Like

A pirate hero would be interesting. And seeing how many heroes already have a pirate themed skin, Itd be nice to see what they do with an actual pirate-like hero. I’m sure he would be more Black Manta type of pirate than Black Beard which now thinking about it, a Black Manta Hero would be amazing