What effects SR gains when grouped?

My wife and I have been playing duo supports these past few seasons with the goal to reach Gold from Bronze. She plays Moira and I play Mercy.

During the last season she peaked around 1.9k and myself around 1.7k, while we finished the season around 1.8k and 1.6k respectively.

This season we pushed her up to 1.8k and myself to 1.75k, she then played some games w/o me dropping to ~20 SR below me.

Over the past few days we had mostly wins, and while my SR climbed up, hers did at a much lower rate. At the end of our play session this evening what started ~20 SR apart ended up ~100 SR apart.

Even with the Moira changes, and the meta shift away from double shields mostly, she’s still able to do really good at healing and take Gold healing over me. We both have roughly the same Deaths per 10m avg, and similar defensive assist stats.

What would cause the SR gains/losses for us to vary so wildly? We’re so close to our initial goal of reaching the Gold ranking range. Is any there anything that we can work on besides the obvious “git gud” as duo support queueing or just to help equalize the SR gains so we stay roughly together?

Thanks.

The only thing I know is that having good stat are important to rank up and gain SR. Mostly try to find the average stat per 10 on your character in your rank and try to do better than that.

3 Likes

Where would one find this information? I’ve only looked at the leaderboards to look at top 500 player stats for characters I play to see how they’re doing. But that’s a lot different than Silver, where we’re at currently.

You are both competing with the averages for the hero you are on. She could be getting better stats than you but still gaining less SR because Moira players at your rank are better than Mercy players at your rank (at least stat wise).

2 Likes

Overbuff gives averages for different ranks on the heroes page.

1 Like

Interesting, so before the Moira changes she was playing better than other Moira’s at our rank, but since then she’s not playing as well. Will have to see where she might be lacking and need to improve on that.

Also, thanks for the info on overbuff. I will look into this. :slight_smile:

1 Like

The changes are going to hit lower rank Moiras harder because they are around resource management. If she’s at all passive then she’s not going to be able keep up with aggressive Moiras’ stats.

If she is always stacking with another main support that also could be a disadvantage. So if you have a healing heavy or tank focused playstyle that could be cutting into her stats unintentionally.

2 Likes

One of the best things about playing with her is I know I can leave the tanks in good hands. It allows me to pocket a Pharah, Ashe, or others in the match. Though I do try to help out tanks too if I see they need it.

Didn’t really think that I could be cutting her out of some stats though.

Is there a page more specific for Moira stats for players in Silver, or just this overall?

https://www.overbuff.com/heroes/moira

1 Like

The hero specific pages don’t have averages per rank. So the main hero page is all you get for that.

As far as the cutting into her healing thing, if you play a dmg boost heavy Mercy playstyle that shouldn’t come up much. Only weakness in that comp is a lack of defensive ult (which matters less in Silver).

2 Likes

So I’ve made my profile public and imported data into overbuff, but it’s only pulling my QuickPlay data, what do I need to do for it to pull my Competitive Data for the current season?

Edit: Seems I need to play a match or two and then refresh. Nevermind.

I also highly highly recommend OverTrack

PBSR rates first each player individually compared to other players playing the same hero on the same map with the same rank.

Those ratings then get put into comparison to the ratings of each player in the team.

Depending on the relative calculated performance the match sr is split accordingly. (It varies slightly depending on team vs team ratings, but as a rule of thumb one team loses 150 sr and the other team gains 150 sr)

Example:
Mercy:
120% relative to other Mercys
= 18.46% relative to team
= 28 SR

Moira:
90% relative to other Moiras
= 13.84% relative to team
= 21 SR

Soldier:
200% relative to other Soldier
= 30.77% relative to team
= 46 SR

Reaper:
60% relative to other Reapers
= 9.23% relative to team
= 14 SR

Winston:
100% relative to other Winstons
= 15.38% relative to team
= 23 SR

Dva:
80% relative to other Dvas
= 12.31% relative to team
= 18 SR

TLDR (or TLDU): Moiras in your rank have drastically higher stats than Mercys, so even if Moira keeps having higher stats than Mercy in the same game, it does not matter, because in order for her to gain the same as sr, she needs to do as much relative to other Moiras, as Mercy does relative to other Mercys (of the same rank, yada yada)

Doesn’t it also give you more/less sr if your team was favored to win or disadvantaged to lose? For example if it thinks your team only had a 45% chance to win you’ll earn more if you win but lose less if you lose and vice versa.

At ranks such as silver, its just a matter of being more aware of whats happening around you. Sr gain comes with genuine improvement not just queueing over and over again, its the equivalent of slamming your head into the wall over and over and expecting a different result with every slam. I suggest to genuinely improve, I mean seek improvement from higher ranked players, contender coaches who stream or anyone qualified. Let me tell your right now though almost every Overwatch youtuber is riddled with misinformation so if you are watching videos to “git gud” then you are on the wrong path my friend. The way you play moira varies so much depending on what you are facing and what your team has. For mercy if you have another main healer (like moira) on your team then dont focus so much on healing, mercy unlike moira has utility so focus more on damage beam and reviving players (I am not saying dont heal). But for example say you have a range dps such as hanzo, ashe, widow, pharah, junk etc. Focus more on pocketing those heroes instead of trying to heal everyone, a contenders coach summed it up well by saying, “You dont need to heal if everyone on the other team is dead”. So focus more on enabling your teammates to pop off not just healing their wounds. Even pocketing your dps on a flank helps, although you need to recognize the difference between flanking and straight feeding. So basically you need to realize there is more to a support other than healing and I suggest you make sure you know whats happening around you, everywhere at all times in the game. Even moira has utility (although more complex to understand), but her playstyle changes so much depending on what you have and what they have.

The reason why I am not explaining the effects of sr gain when grouped is that manipulating the system or trying to understand the system wont get you ranked up. Trust me I was a hardstuck silver for the longest time, it took me a long time to understand that.

That’s my understanding, or at least what I’ve chosen to believe.

I really never believe anything others say & never like to act as though my view is the definitive truth, beyond the obvious like win=good & lose=bad. Without concrete proof, everything is hearsay.

1 Like

Yes, stop playing Moira+Mercy. You have no utility and weak defensive ults.

I appreciate this reply and information. It’s not that we’re trying to game the SR gains, we were just curious what would have caused the disparity when playing in a group setting in the same games.

There’s been a lot of great information shared with us, and it’s been awesome to help be better informed.

We are both constantly trying to improve our general gameplay, awareness, etc. to become better players and better teammates.

I do try to damage boost as much as possible, but still probably could do more. I know I still make some risky decisions with resses, but am improving there (at least I think so) to make wiser decisions.

Thanks everyone else for your replies as well.

Already mentioned that
“It varies slightly depending on team vs team ratings, but as a rule of thumb one team loses 150 sr and the other team gains 150 sr”